No announcement yet.

Celiacs, how do you deal with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have celiac too and I don't trust any restaurants or anyone else to cook my food

Comment

Originally posted by notlupus View Post
      It's been ages since I had curry chicken.
      You can have curried chicken. But you need to cook it from scratch. I wouldn't trust commercial spice blends for something like that.

Comment

I don't really trust anyone with my food, that includes restaurants, friends, or family ... I can't. Celiac, with too many allergens to even list (from food, airborne, medical, dental, etc). My reactions may vary from mild nausea and bloating, aching, itching, to throwing up, all the way to pain massive enough it warranted an ambulance ride to the ER.
        I've had times of isolation and depression and outright anger, especially when individuals tried to trick me with foods, by claiming they didn't contain any of the reactive foods and there was no cross contamination. I do not understand why seemingly intelligent people cannot comprehend that this shit makes us sick as hell.
        After an event of contamination, it takes a full 28 days for the gut to heal from that one incident alone. It is difficult for many people to "get". And then there is the fact that gluten has found its way into non-food items like makeup products, shampoo/conditioners, soaps, etc. which causes its own set of reactive issues.

You do have time to plan ahead for this trip though, so that is a good thing .... and planning ahead will also allow you to be prepared for any of the little spontaneous jaunts your SO is fond of.
        Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

I'm not celiac, but this thread has been an eye opener. Thank you to those who have given me a new perspective on what it's like to live in a world that by and large contains so many foods and food preparations that can hurt you.

To the OP, you're dealing with two things: celiac and a non-supportive partner. I know there are two sides to every story, but do you really need to be with someone who treats your health issues in such a cavalier manner?
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I feel your pain, really. Gluten and corn are the worst for me, but I also have fructose malabsorption and react badly to starches. I've gotten to where I can eat some starches if I don't overdo it, but that can sometimes be hard. I made chicken with rice a couple of weeks ago, which was really good. I had leftovers so ate a bunch the following day then was in agony for a good day. Stupid on my part, so I'm backing off that for a while. I had some potatoes roasted in duck fat last night but not enough to do me in and no leftovers.

I have ADHD as well, so getting it together enough to have "safe" foods on hand can sometimes be an issue. What works for me is to figure out things that can be made in large quantities and eaten easily. I bought an old meat grinder, unused, still in the box a couple of weeks ago. I've been making ham salad which I then eat in a lettuce wrap or a slice of cheese. I just made some roast beef salad as well. Fun to experiment with. And another good standby is beef brisket. I throw it in a crock pot (cut into smaller pieces) with mojo criollo and slow cook it until tender, then shred. Great for breakfast. I scramble up an egg with some cheese, top with shredded meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and hot sauce. Otherwise I can barely stomach eggs these days. Crustless quiches are good for this also and travel well. Saute some leeks in butter with garlic, you can add chunks of ham or cooked bacon, grated cheese and eggs in a buttered pie or tart pan and bake. Good cold or hot. One of my FB friends posted a picture of meatloaf muffins that I've been wanting to try. And if all else fails, smoothies.

Anyhow, yeah it sucks, and even though it does get easier I still have moments when I just want to cry for not being able to find safe foods and not being able to be spontaneous. Celiac so often comes with added intolerances due to your guts leaking and gut flora getting out of whack.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by Orannhawk View Post
              It is difficult for many people to "get". And then there is the fact that gluten has found its way into non-food items like makeup products, shampoo/conditioners, soaps, etc. which causes its own set of reactive issues.
              Play-doh. Seriously - stupid, ubiquitous Play-doh.

God, don't I know that gluten is everywhere. It is a good thing that I homeschool my celiac (but not for that reason) - we just adjust and educate her about living the celiac life here at home without any fanfare, but I would hate it at public school. "Sissy needs her own special modeling clay." And "Sissy may not lick stamps." And "I need a conference with the art teacher because I need to know where and how s/he uses wheat paste in her students' projects." And, and, and...
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Another celiac with ADHD and multiple food intolerances, I wish you didn't have to share my misery. I've found that I can't eat corn, not sure if it's because it's similar to gluten or because most of it is moldy. Probably mold since I can have a couple bites of boiled fresh corn from a local farm, but corn chips leave me in agony. I'm cooking a turkey breast today for easter so the leftovers will probably be made into curry (I bought some seeds of change sauce that doesn't have any gluten ingredients).

Comment

Working...
                X