Non-primal Kitchen Appliances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-primal Kitchen Appliances

We just had the flooring replaced in our kitchen, which necessitated moving lots of stuff and then putting it all back again. Also, anything left on the counter during the installation got covered with dust.

While reorganizing today, I suddenly realized our toaster hadn't seen any use in over 7 months, so why take up counter space with it? I cleaned it off and went to put it away in a seldom-used cupboard, only to discover the electric bread machine, which also hasn't been used in 7 months.

Toaster? Bread machine? Anyone know of primal uses for these? Otherwise, off to Goodwill with them!

hah! same here...our toaster sits beside our breadmaker which fell out of use over a year ago now. our crockpot now sits proudly in its place.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Funny! I'm primal but my boyfriend isn't, so the toaster stays. Although, when I do the grocery shopping, I always forget bread products. They never enter my mind anymore

Comment

The only Primal thing I can think to do with them is to use them for spear-throwing practice. If the bread maker is heavy enough, you might be able to use it for heavy lifting? If you have little kids they can follow law #10 to use their minds by taking them apart to see what makes them work. That's all I got. I can list these off because my husband and I were just talking about what to do with our waffle-iron.

Comment

Too bad you can't cook bacon in a toaster.
          That would be very handy ;-)

Comment

Sell them on craigslist and use the cash to buy meat.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by kuno1chi View Post
              Too bad you can't cook bacon in a toaster.
              That would be very handy ;-)
              very true, but I can use my toaster oven for a small batch, even use a drip tray to save the fat.
              I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Some great suggestions! We decided to donate the toaster, as it's fairly old and doesn't work perfectly. My daughter's Italian husband was ecstatic to receive the bread machine. His mother is coming over to stay with them for the June, July, and August, so he has planned for her to make bread for him every day this summer. Not sure how'll she'll take to that idea! LOL!

Comment

I've been tempted to throw my toaster all the way out. Mine doesn't have a bottom hatch and sitting down in my cupboard I think it might attract mice.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                    I've been tempted to throw my toaster all the way out. Mine doesn't have a bottom hatch and sitting down in my cupboard I think it might attract mice.
                    Hadn't thought about the mice! Our's is just sitting there unused too...

Comment

Waffle irons can be used to cook bacon - saw it on a recent "Man Food" episode of Good Eats. Alton Brown in the king of multitaskers.
                      "The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
                      "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

Comment

Definitely keep the waffle iron, great for quick grilling veggies without having to warm up the actual grill.
                        On that note, I wonder if I could make a ground beef waffle....

Toaster Ovens can be useful if you don't want to heat up the regular oven for something small... but even then, limited at best for me.
                        As for bread makers and toasters, no real use that I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                          Sell them on craigslist and use the cash to buy meat.
                          Great idea!

Comment

you can make meatloaf in a bread machine ...sans bread crumbs of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukawww View Post
                              you can make meatloaf in a bread machine ...sans bread crumbs of course.
                              I never thought of that! I racked my brain trying to think of something I could use it for. Oh, well, my son-in-law's Italian mother will be busy making bread with it this summer. Or, at least that's what he has in mind for her!

Comment

Working...
                              X