Garden plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden plans?

Ok, gardening is extremely Neolithic (or late Mesolithic) HOWEVER it's good for you.

For those of us in the Northern 'sphere, spring's coming and it is time to think gardening.

I have recently moved into a town home that has a few places of dirt (the largest one which doesn't ever seem to get direct sunlight, unfortunately). I am planning to try chard in the non-direct area, to see how that goes down. My primary garden will actually be in container form. I am planting basil in these buckets, and perhaps trying potatoes. Basil's for pesto. Many of the local farmers seem to do well with Basil, and the farmers markets always have a bunch but more is better because pesto.

Also, I have a tree that was by someone planted (unwisely) in a raised bed. Depending how how badly that tree shades the area (I have only been there during the winter) I am thinking some rosemary (because it gets big and takes over, making a bare bed less unattractive). Not sure about the side bed, which has some hacked-up bushes and some scraggly rose bushes, but gets afternoon sun right on.

I live in a questionable part of a sketchy zip code, and I am trying to improve on what I have. What are you guys planning?

M.

I have a limited amount of space for gardening, but I just decided to use what was available- so I took a strip along the house that was otherwise bare and put in peppers, herbs and radishes. The herbs are working out great- they don't need a lot of space and add so much to your cooking.

Comment

Ah, peppers! I saved a bunch of seeds from commercial peppers (jalapeno and bell). I think they'll germinate, but I'm not sure they'll produce better peppers. Who knows what has been done to them?

M.

Comment

Oh yes. I bought some heritage seeds at a local farmers market and have been saving up egg cartons. My husband bought some planing soil. I'm now ready to start-plant them. They're all herbs, 8 different kinds.
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

So southern hemisphere here and we are just harvesting the last of my summer planting but I love gardening so I'll share my successes with you.

I'd plant my lettuces in the the shaded area, particularly as the weather gets warmer. In the direct sun they go to seed and get bitter too soon. The potatoes will grow well no matter where you put them. I've had a good crop of garlic this year, again this is one that'll grow well in or out of the sun. Spring onions are an easy crop that you can directly sow into the soil from seed. Chilli's and tomatoes will grow well with your basil, although I struggle with tomatoes here as we get lots of rain so they get the rot too easily and I'm far too lazy to spray with copper as often as it needs.

One of my big successes this summer has been sweet corn - I know, not primal, but super yummy fresh from my own garden (and you can get heritage varieties). The corn takes up lots of space though so you'll need a decent size patch, I maximised my corn patch by planting beans and watermelon to wind around the bases of the corn.

Have fun!

Comment

Wah hoo! I'm so excited to see a thread like this.

I have over 200 seedlings started at the moment, and I will be putting in another 100 or so here in a couple days. My garden is about an acre in size. I am so stoked and ready to get this fire burning! Last year was a miserable drought. It is looking a LOT better this year. Praying for a normal spring so my cold crops don't shrivel up in April. Yikes.

I can't tell ya'll how happy it makes me to see so many city folk carving out spots on their porches and mini lawns to plant food. Kudos to you all!
            The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

I am doing two square feet garden plots. I have A LOT of trouble with tomatos. They always either get pests or wilt away. I am not planting the right ones for my area and am having a hard time finding out what will work here. I like growing lettuce because its easy and we eat a lot of it.

I have a flower bed in the back of my house where I grow herbs. The parsly, oregano and basil always get out of control and the chives grow all year long so thats a plus. I think I may also try sweet potatos here as well. Is it possible for me to just cut one up and bury the pieces? I have never grown them so I have no idea.

Comment

I've never started seedlings. I hope these peppers will sprout when given some soil and a takeout bin in the sun.

I had started some garlic last autumn in styrofoam cups. They began to grow greens, but they got some kind of mold and rotted. Ah well.

I'm going to try this "no dig" potato method using straw, soil and news paper: No Dig Potatoes.mp4 - YouTube

This is what I will implement in that above mentioned plot. It's very sad looking, with some surface roots from the above mentioned tree and very little ground cover. Also a very beaten up, poorly designed shed thing. Worst case scenario: The spuds fail, and I end up with a better soil.

M.

Comment

I plant in containers on my balcony. Usually grow some chard, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, courgettes, peppers and chillies, romaine lettuce and some herbs and stuff.

Comment

Oh and last summer I saved some Scotch Bonnet seeds and planted them. The tree is growing quite quickly at the moment but no idea if they'll produce fruit. The seeds are from store bought chilies. Also for some fun I planted a lemon seed and the bloody thing is growing!

There's no excuse to not grow your own veg. It's a piece of piss.

Comment

Agreed on there not being an excuse (short of physical inability). Even my cruddy parents, who never got along in anything, cooperated to make a garden.

In retrospect they were actually pretty good at it, but it wasn't until late in my stay with them that I took any special interest. It had been for me a reminder of our poverty, and back then I looked on the SAD of frequent eating out and store bought foods as living the high life! Then I got educated.

I do have a balcony and it was intended to be used for growing things in those hanging-off style containers. I was thinking more herbs or perhaps strawberries (I can pull the stems up if desired). It's north facing, which is apparently significant, but I don't think it gets direct sunlight during the day (I'm never around to really watch it).

M.

Comment

We have a little bit of space, but I have a black thumb. This year, I'm trying to fill in the quarter round (again) to keep the neighbor's cat from shitting in it. Western exposure, so strong late day sun. Thinking onions, cacti, rosemary, and basil. I'll also restart the aloe the winter before last killed and maybe replant the pecan tree.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

I started containers last weekend ... herbs, tomatos, and peppers ... and a watermelon. We'll see. I live in the desert and I have no soil to speak of, hence the containers. I am historically not lucky with plants (translation: I neglect them) but I read Tomatoland over the winter and I'm determined to grow my own. It's warm enough I can probably go all year round.

Lettuce scares me for some reason. I think it's because I'm afraid I'll have too much and I don't love salads.

Comment

I'm going to try chard in containers. I've only had the grocery store type, which is fully mature leaves. These are rather gritty.

I'm also thinking strawberries would be good for hanging pots, though I'm sure the neighborhood kids would get to them before long.

It would be nice if I could grow some berries. Years ago living with my parents we had excessive amounts of raspberries in our yard (right next to the rabbit hutch, so I know some of the manure ran into it during rains). Out down a hill were blackberries, and naturally in between we had black raspberries.

Interesting thing to note: Raspberries, blackberries and especially blackraspberries seem to be cocaine to mosquitoes. Those three places always were thickest with them.

M.

Comment

Love gardening!
                              I'll be planting various types of cucumbers and probably 2 cherry tomatoes. Not sure what else though.
                              Trying to convince my husband to make a smaller garden area for me so I can plant smaller things like herbs, radish and whatever else.
                              DD born August 2012
                              TTC #2
                              SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                              CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                              Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                              Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Working...
                              X