No announcement yet.

Which book(s) are you reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Among the many other books I am reading I am enjoying Dean Dwyer's Make Shift Happen. It's really been opening my eyes to things I didn't realize might be standing in the way of the me I want and the me I am.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Comment

The Whiteness of the Whale by David Poyer

Comment

Right now I am reading Game of Thrones in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I know, I know, I'm ridiculously late to the Game of Thrones party, but better late than never Haven't watched the HBO show at all, but friends who told me a bit about it inspired me to read the novels.

Comment

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel. It's not great, but it's not as bad as the reviews would have it. I like reading about Ice Age food prep.

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
            Begun Shutter Island. Unfortunately I watched the film first...
            I have the book around the house but haven't read it yet. I like Lehane, but I watched the movie a few years ago and was a little dumbfounded. I'd seen a play the year before that was THE EXACT SAME STORY. Just change the country, the decade, and the profession of the main character. I think it was called Mindbend and after watching Shutter Island I looked it up. Mindbend was based on a novel by the playwright and was published before Shutter Island. If I were him I'd sue.
            Last edited by Violette_R; 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The 4-Hour Chef by Timothy Ferriss
              “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

I'm about to order The Closing of the Western Mind by Charles Freeman.

Comment

Just finished Nora Gedgaudas, Primal Body Primal Mind, thought it was very good.

Comment

I'm currently reading the utterly stunning Dweller on Two Planets by Frederick S. Oliver:
                    A Dweller on Two Planets Index

Comment

Sociology (Anthony Giddens) - very interesting introduction to this field, not only for students.
                      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
                      iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

Comment

Rereading The Gnolls Credo. Damn good book.
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                          Just picked up a copy of Call of the Wild. I have been meaning to read this book since I was 10 years old!!
                          Just recently I've been reading some Richard Jefferies and Henry Williamson books -- and also listening to a W. H. Hudson audiobook and an audiobook of Gilbert White's Natural History of Selborne. So, as it happens, it's been a few nature writers recently.

I have also been re-reading the Life of Johnson and dipping into some of Johnson's own writings, though.

I was rummaging in a secondhand bookshop this weekend and found a couple of books. One was a travel anthology edited by Eric Newby. Newby himself is a good writer, was a wartime member of the Special Boat Squadron, and after leaving school worked as a seaman on the last fast run under sail in a clipper ship -- for the story of that see The Last Grain [sorry] Race:

Amazon.com: Last Grain Race (Picador Books) (9780330318853): Eric Newby: Books

I also found a book about a woman, Dorothy Kerin, whose name I knew as a founder of a local hospital. I started that one: it seems she was a very remarkable woman, intensely religious and something of a modern-day mystic and healer:

Our History | Burrswood Christian Hospital, Kent

I'm not reading any Paleo/Primal/WAPF/etc. books at the moment. I must have a couple of dozen on my shelves by now, and there are so many other things to read ...

Comment

The Dirty Life - On Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball.

Barely into it and the NY journalist has fallen in love with her organic farmer after he prepares venison heart for dinner. So primal, haha, and humorously written.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I just finished Wool last night for the Sword & Laser May book pick. it was very good but didn't quite live up to the hype imo. or maybe I'm just grumpy because I stayed up WAY too late finishing it.

I tried to listen to it but I couldn't stand the narrator's character voices.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                              Last edited by sara frances; 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Everyone try yoga.

Only about a third of the way in but quite excited to give it a go.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                                http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
                                ― Carl Sagan

Comment

Working...
                                X