Jaime Oliver's Food Relovution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaime Oliver's Food Relovution

Has anyone been watching this show? I have watched every week, and really enjoyed it. The diet he is proposing is not completely primal, but heathly for the most part. I don't get fired up over too many issues, but to see these kids unhealthy and overweight because of ignorance and burearacy, pisses me off. When I was in school, we knew the school food was bad, and most of us brown bagged it. These kids have no idea what a healthy meal looks like.
    Merry Spinmas!!!
    http://stcva.blogspot.com/

Getting the DJ on board was cool. Chow mein and pasta? At least it's easy to make, cheap, and a start in the right direction.

Comment

Darn, I forgot to DVR it! Do you know if they replay it some other day?

Comment

maba, I know you can watch in on hulu.com.
        --

I'm back

Comment

Not perfect, but we shouldn't let our idea of perfect ruin good. It's all about progress. I'd much rather have kids on that diet then what most of them are on right now... 20 percent of 5th grades are on the ADD drug Ritalin, that is not good for this country
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

After dealing with my daughter's elementary school try to convince us that she is ADHD (Psychologist disagrees) and telling us we should consider medicating her (I disagree), I'm not surprised at all that 20% of 5th graders are indeed medicated. I mean, my daughter is 6! All 6-year-olds are frigging ADD. Deeper issue there, but yeah, our society has gotten way, way out of whack, and educators are one of the deepest, burning roots of the problem.
            --

I'm back

Comment

Yeah... It's really sad that small children are assumed ADD because they have lots of energy... it's the lethargic, fat, and the fearful of moving without total approval that are the desired... Does NO ONE see that it's the "perfect" children that are wacked out? And the Red Shirting that's happening just to deal with this is INSANE...

I'm glad to see ANY improvement in the diet offered children... It's so sad to see such crap offered... and even more sad to see children on the verge of starvation having school food as their only meals... Many kids show up to school near starved on Mondays... And that anyone expects near starving, sugar charged children to focus... Jeesh... did everyone in charge graduate at the bottom of their classes???

Comment

I just discovered that this was on Hulu (I don't have a TV right now). Usually, reality TV bores me to tears but I am totally obsessed with this show! Yeah, he does include noodles, rice, and potatoes, but his reliance upon fresh, whole foods makes up for it. It could be much worse; imagine if someone was trying to veganize the school lunches.

Comment

Like everybody says, it's a good start. Jamie won't be the one bringing primal ideas though. He comes from a Italian and French cuisine background and gourmet cuisine in general is not about health at all, but taste, smell and look.

I studied in a cooking school for a while, and nutrition courses are nowhere to be found in those classes. Chefs eat plenty of bread, pancakes, chocolate, etc, as long as it's properly done and tastes good.
                  Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Comment

Actually a good culinary school will have an excellent nutrition class... But they are not designed from a medical point of view... they are designed to teach a prospective chef how to meet requests... My DH is an amazing chef... Short of some creative NEW titles that people have made up for themselves, a good chef knows how to meet your needs if you say you are a vegetarian, or a vegan, can't have gluten or any grains. HE/she doesn't have to ask... I have found it interesting that some people don't know what they are... stating they must have a vegan meal, and then flip out because the cheese was left off their plate. I have to say, I haven't been able to throw him a single curve ball with my primal goals... I've told him what the guidelines are... and done... (now whether or not he wants to eat that way... well , we'll see!)

I'm not sure I'd agree that gourmet cuisine is not about health.... It is about taste, smell and appearance... most awesome chefs go for whole foods, and are horrified by all the processed crap... but yes, they do most often utilize grains and sugar... And an awesome chef can do anything with any style of diet... I don't think Jamie will be bringing the primal ideal forward, 'cause it's not his style... not 'cause he couldn't...

Comment

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
                      Getting the DJ on board was cool. Chow mein and pasta? At least it's easy to make, cheap, and a start in the right direction.
                      Yes, it is without a doubt a step in the right direction. I caught a few minutes of last night's episode and they made "buckwheat" pasta with a homemade sauce that contained 7 different veggies. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't buckwheat a fruit? Or, at least, it is gluten free. I believe there was also a salad. They were at the high school and just about everyone wanted change. Everyone went in Jamies line and no one went in the french fry line. This is not only a small step but a large step to me. I am loving Jamie to death - he is doing a good deed. It's not Primal, but its close. He loves fresh, whole food. This includes veggies and greens. What's not to love?

Originally posted by maba View Post
                      Darn, I forgot to DVR it! Do you know if they replay it some other day?
                      Go to abc.com to watch all the episodes for free.

Originally posted by Shine View Post
                      I just discovered that this was on Hulu (I don't have a TV right now). Usually, reality TV bores me to tears but I am totally obsessed with this show! Yeah, he does include noodles, rice, and potatoes, but his reliance upon fresh, whole foods makes up for it. It could be much worse; imagine if someone was trying to veganize the school lunches.
                      abc.com

Originally posted by sebzzz View Post
                      Like everybody says, it's a good start. Jamie won't be the one bringing primal ideas though. He comes from a Italian and French cuisine background and gourmet cuisine in general is not about health at all, but taste, smell and look.

I studied in a cooking school for a while, and nutrition courses are nowhere to be found in those classes. Chefs eat plenty of bread, pancakes, chocolate, etc, as long as it's properly done and tastes good.
                      He may come from an Italian and French cuisine background, but what he is doing is inspiring. Do you believe he should bring in Primal food to the schools? No, not a chance. Maybe 10 years from now when the entire population is eating Primal

Originally posted by twinmama View Post

I'm not sure I'd agree that gourmet cuisine is not about health.... It is about taste, smell and appearance... most awesome chefs go for whole foods, and are horrified by all the processed crap... but yes, they do most often utilize grains and sugar... And an awesome chef can do anything with any style of diet... I don't think Jamie will be bringing the primal ideal forward, 'cause it's not his style... not 'cause he couldn't...
                      I agree 100%
                      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I'm watching it!!! I just stumbled upon a show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WivZHJhgOK8 on planet green ...a woman is trying to get people out of their cars and on bikes for one day a week / in England/ it's very frustrating to see how people are so resistant to positive change

Comment

I love Jamie, too...been watching him for years.

While not exactly primal, it is a huge improvement over what the standard American diet is in school.
                          Bully for you, Jamie!

Twinmamma -
                          as far as chefs/nutrition, etc goes.... I agree most really good chefs are into whole natural unprocessed ingredients - I think the twist comes in that food is a commoditiy and they prepare what sells... as long as starchy, unprimal food (pastas etc) are "in style" and "demand" - that is what they make because the restaurant business is competitive and cut-throat. Now I think all of us would patronize places catering to or - at least- offering Primal menu selections... but the restaurants need to stay in business and make money - so they aren't about to assume the role of "food police" and tell their customers "We won't serve you pasta and bread - it is killing you!"... and so the chefs are obligated to comply....

Comment

Hey Fit... you're probably right on the grand scheme of things... DH def. has to cater to his clients or he wouldn't have a job. But if he's serving pasta and bread... it has real whole food ingredients...

In a consumer world... it's the consumers right to buy what they legally can. In an educational environment where food is provided on the tax payers dollar, it is unacceptable to supply children with CRAP... And even though many people will eat at McD's, I've never met one that thought they were actually eating a "healthy" meal... I think most people, know they are eating junk... I suspect many eat it, 'cause they don't think they can afford better quality food... It's a show like this that teaches people that on the same budget you can do WAY better... and NOT to do so is inexcusable...

I would like to see the organic farmers of the world step up and "donate" a percentage of food cost to schools... that's a win win situation... lowers their taxable incomes... creates a future market!

I'll tell you... it's not just the food that is suffering in the educational environment... it's EVERYTHING! I hope everyone pays attn. Our country is going to have a bunch of sugared up, poorly educate adults taking care of it's SRs that are creating this mess!

Comment

My wife and I watched this show for the first time last night. I definitely see the appeal! The man is on fire to save lives, which is a feeling many of us on this forum can relate to.

It's just too bad the foods he offers are such a minor improvement over the existing fare. Instead of sugared cow's milk, the children get plain cow's milk. Instead of "cheese/cheese-substitute pizza" and french fries, they get baked potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Buckwheat, while better than regular wheat, is still a grain. Every one of his dishes has a major emphasis on carbs.

I don't want to criticize, because anything's an improvement for the people he's trying to help. And I love his rejection of processed and artificial foods in favor of fresh, local, whole ingredients. It's just a shame that he doesn't aim for a healthier macronutrient ratio. Of course, if he tried feeding the kids a real primal diet he'd probably be chased out of town by an angry mob. And I don't want to be personal about it, but look carefully at Jamie Oliver's face and neck. This is a not a particularly lean man and he is showing the hormonal effects of a high-carb diet.

That said, I wouldn't want to make the perfect the enemy of the good. It's a very compelling show, especially when he's fighting the prejudices of the adults. I wish there were more people with his motivation. If only he could be pointed to this web site.

Comment

Working...
                              X