No announcement yet.

Primal and Spirituality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me spirituality is found in the power of nature -we can put a man on the moon but we can't make an apple or a carrot or an egg - and that's where the real power in our lives resides, as anyone on this site would surely agree. The old testament says mankind was cast out of garden of eden, whereas as a paleo advocate, I contend that we're still in it. If you want proof, I'll show you the contents of my fridge......
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Great discussion.

As a follower of Christ the Primal lifestyle makes perfect sense to me. As previously stated I believe God created the world and all in it. He gave us what we needed to be healthy and happy. We are the ones who have messed it up. Living this way leads us back to the Garden. The Celts and Native Americans would pray after killing for food thanking the animal for giving up its life for their nourishment and their God(s) for providing the animal. I am sure other cultures did that as well. I like that practice. While I don't hunt for my own food I can still be thankful when eating what has been provided. And being outside just leaves me in awe of creation. I don't claim to understand it all but for me there is no dissonance between my beliefs and science. For me God is the creator. Science is just one more part of or maybe the entire creation.
      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
      height 5'3
      SW 215 lbs
      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
      LW 172 lbs
      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I'm neo-pagan. Primal and my spirituality fit perfectly together.
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Thanks for that link. I found the full article here :
          Truthdig - An Atheist Manifesto

Comment

Until recently I would say that I'm neither religious nor spiritual. But the latter is starting to change a bit after I discovered Karl Jung.

The last few years have been rough. I turned 40 just as my job dead-ended and my adult son came to live with me. I began drinking a lot. I started seeing a shrink and things stabilized but my life still felt like one long grind.

I took an online Myers-Briggs personality test and it kind me thinking of Jung. I decided I should check him out. At the same time I began to look at mid-life crises books on Amazon. I was also looking a journaling and meditation. I have a hard time with meditation so I googled something like "how to meditate for people who don't like meditation" and came to website extolling coloring books. Their point was that coloring books are how you keep kids occupied and it works for adults to. It can't be creative (other than color choice) since you don't want make decisions. You just want to zone out. Anyhow the website linked to an adult (not that kind of adult) of Mandalas.

I bought the Mandala coloring book, some colored pencils, a couple of mid-life crisis books and a book on journaling.

The mid-life crisis books were both by Jungians, the book on journaling spent a lot of time on Jung's journals and mentioned that in his journals he like to draw.......Mandalas. One of Jung's precepts is synchronicity and here it was!

I'm the very opposite of woo-woo, crystals and chakra type. But it was quite weird.

I've come around to the idea that we need some spiritual path to make life bearable. I don't believe in the supernatural as understood by most religions. But I believe there are depths of personality that are remarkable. So I guess my spiritual quest is a bit ego-centric, literally. But that doesn't mean it's selfish. In fact I think it will lead me to be a more whole person who can positively impact others.

Comment

At this point, I am a follower of Jesus' teachings of helping the poor, not judging each other, loving our neighbors and enemies, and generally taking care of each other. I no long believe in a god or religion, and haven't for some time. I find that I get the most fulfillment in helping others, which I believe was Jesus' main message to us. I have more peace now in my life than I ever did when I was going to church and serving in a religion.

Comment

While I've found primal eating entirely compatible with my spirituality (ie Christian faith), today brought home to me how uncommon this is.

After today's Easter drama we were supplied with a fully laden table of lovingly prepared food, almost all of which was heavily laced with grains and/or sugar. The best I could do was a slice of ham out of a sandwich, some apple and orange slices and a couple of pieces of fruit and nut cake. Fortunately I had (sadly) anticipated this and brought along a salad and boiled egg as well.

It was evident that many people really had tried. Apart from the usual abundance of pizza, cookies and cakes, there were also ham, cheese and salad sandwiches, mini quiches in bread cases, some fresh fruit, a few carrot sticks with hummus, and a small plate of treats that looked to be made of nuts and seeds.

So I'm a minority among Christians for the way I eat, and a minority here for my faith.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

My god is human achievement. For one, I find that primal foods allow for greater achievement via greater health. For two, cultivating and cooking the foods brings you closer to nature, which promotes virtue (a cynicism component of my ethics). That's about it....

Comment

Working...
                  X