No announcement yet.

It sucks being healthy!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband was prosecuted for harmless drug offenses.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• You are also ignoring the tightness of the state's violent grip over all other human behavior; obsolete, special-interest planned Zoning laws, for example, make every community in NJ stupid to drink in. They fuck up drinking culture- how fuckin awful and malicious must people be to make it so that their neighbors can't conveniently walk over to a local pub for a drink? (insanely is the answer)
      "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
        My husband was prosecuted for harmless drug offenses.
        then wtf are you talking about?!

He had the resources to eat the fines probably, and the two of you can be like, "Oh it's not that serious." is that it?
        "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Comment

• They fuck up drinking culture- how fuckin awful and malicious must people be to make it so that their neighbors can't conveniently walk over to a local pub for a drink?
          Then move to Charlotte NC where you can live in an apartment on top of a bar. Or go serve on the planning board in New Jersey and change zoning law to something more modern. We have a pretty diverse option for lifestyles in the US. Want to grow pot? Move to CO.

He was prosecuted and it was more than fines. He was also stupid about it. If you are smart enough, you can create the life you want in the US. The beauty of the US is there are places to live where you can be as conservative or liberal as you want.

Comment

• Mobility is imaginary except for in certain classes. "Serving on" planning boards is also imaginary unless you are in the gentry class, or are related to the murderers that sustain their plans. You're literally just ignoring the actual conditions that prop up the many structures that smother us and acting like these inspriational platitudes exist in real life. Nope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katrina422 View Post
              Sorry I didn't specify. I'd be laughing at the fellow striding in and quoting Jack London at me. It amuses me when people do weird things, I think I'd get a real kick out of that.

hey... lol

It never failed me when I acted on good intelligence: having observed an undeserving and feeble male with a hot woman. I have since reasoned that the girls in question must want fitter and more aggressive men to challenge the claim of their feeble consort

Comment

• Please excuse me while I respond to different people individually over the next couple hours. Apparently the pesky habit of going to bed at night and working out in the morning causes one to fall horribly behind on these threads.

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                Too much hope in mankind is a beautiful and sad symptom of idealism. Beautiful in its innocence, sad in its surrealism.

You wouldn't be turning against your ideals in preaching or educating people. I can see why you wouldn't want to brainwash them. I've come to view the easily brainwashed as lacking a 'soul'. They are animals, and must be treated with dignity and care, but deserve whatever they have coming.

I used to think people were going to save themselves. Now I find that those who save themselves are those who have the mind to. Think about it this way: if someone fails to see the light and is brainwashed repeatedly by authority after authority, then what does it matter if they are that way because they are dumb, or because they are uneducated, or because they are weak-willed or because they are fearful? The end result points towards a flawed approach to life. Whatever that approach may be, it is their flaw which they must overcome. If they cannot overcome it, they don't belong in the future.

You become far happier when you let people do whatever they will. You will be pleasantly surprised by those who fight and never be let down by those who do not. It leads to a sort of inner peace.
                Kochin, I agree with most of what you said. I agree that the vast majority of people are incapable of independent thought and prefer to follow someone else rather than have to think for themselves. I don't know anything about anthropology so I'm just making this up, but I think humans are kind of like pack animals. Maybe not to the same extent as wolves, but humans (and I'm talking about prehistoric man) do live in groups that probably had leaders. So most people have this sort of conformist, group-think mentality that was probably advantageous for survival a long time ago.

But I don't think that's really an argument against anarchism. (And I don't really think that you were necessarily arguing against it either.) It's like Derp mentioned above, leadership is not the same thing as coercion. I expect that, even in an anarchist society, there will be leaders and there will be some kind of social hierarchy because that's just how humans function. Even in a completely voluntary social arrangement, leaders naturally emerge. These are usually people who are intelligent, charismatic, etc. I have no problem with that.

Also, in an anarchist society, there will still be communities that have government (because, as you pointed out, a lot of people would *want* government). The only difference is that the governments don't have the power to force anyone to recognize their authority. It would be completely voluntary. It would actually be government by the consent of the government. Of course, there will also be communities with no government.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that the masses can't think for themselves and that it will be difficult to save them. I've often said that people get the government they deserve. The problem is that the masses lend their support to these terrible governments, and these governments have real power (because the masses give it to them). These governments can really f*** up the lives of the people who can think for themselves and who do not want to be lorded over and enslaved.

These days, in the U.S., the police can just break into your house on a supposed drug raid, except that they had the wrong address or whatever, and they could shoot you or your family without having to face any consequences. There are real problems in this country that affect all of us so it's kind of hard to ignore them. I used to be more of an idealist who wanted to make the world a better place. But, now, I'm not as interested in saving the world anymore (like you, I don't think that you can save other people, they must help/save themselves), but I can't just ignore everything because those things affect me and people I care about.

I don't know if this makes any sense, I'm starting to ramble. Have to get to my next response.

My journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                  Women that can write so eloquently about libertarianism while referring to Rothbard, Mises Daily, and the Non-Aggression Axiom are hard to find. If you lived closer, I'd be attracted to you like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm .
                  Haha, I'm afraid that I'm too old for you. Where in Texas are you? You should be able to meet young women who are libertarian in Texas. Are you in college? Is there a chapter of SLF (Student Liberty Front) at your school?

Another way to meet like-minded people is to join some local meetup groups. During the Ron Paul campaign, there were RP meetup groups everywhere, and most of them still exist. They've probably changed their names to something else, but I bet you could find them. There's also Liberty on the Rocks, which also hosts events in various cities.

My journal

Comment

• These days, in the U.S., the police can just break into your house on a supposed drug raid, except that they had the wrong address or whatever, and they could shoot you or your family without having to face any consequences.
                    And this happens how frequently? I'm just curious. I did not realize that police often broke down doors into homes and shot the people. I think policing is somewhat regional in nature. In Charlotte, they practice community policing which does not include assaulting suspects, even those caught red handed.

Comment

• Haha but Diene is in Philly, where the Mayor will order the firebombing of an entire neighborhood

Comment

• I have lived on three different continents, met and dealt with many people from different national and cultural backgrounds. IME Americans, as nice and well intentioned most of us are, are the easiest nation to manipulate and the nation with the most of the flock mentality.
                        I'm not sure why exactly that is. Could organized religion have to do something with that? Could it be because people are conditioned from very early age to fear the authorities (I've seen young kids start crying hysterically at the sight of a heavily armed policeman)? Could government funded education, deliberately misguiding and abusing young minds have something to do with it? Have you ever asked yourselves why there are 12 years of free education available to anyone in this country?
                        Or all of the above plus other factors. I don't know.
                        I'm really disgusted with the lies and propaganda endlessly spewing from everywhere, subliminally and not so subliminally ingraining in people's minds certain models of behavior to conform to. True free thinkers are becoming rarity these days, and the dumbing down of the person progressively increases. Have any of you watched any TV lately?
                        It's all distraction, deflecting people's minds from the actual issues.

The bi-polar political party model is the biggest farce out there. People all over the country get into personal disputes and fights over who should win an election, not realizing that they are basically the one and the same same entity. If you think about it, what does really change when the one administration succeeds the power to the other? Spending is still the same, same paper money not backed by anything tangible keep getting printed, foreign policies are all one true constant, domestic policies are still limiting and abusive etc. etc.

If a person knows the true way of how the US and the rest of the world works, how things really are, if a person knows the truth, then how could they have any personal philosophy other that Libertarianism? What else makes sense?

Freedom and democracy are another big lie that a large government wants (and they sure do a good job there) their masses to believe, by giving them just enough little bit of freedoms and liberties (often misunderstood by the said masses), so that it on the surface would appear that such freedoms and liberties exist.

Big government in cahoots with the large corporations with their far and beyond reaching tentacles are the cancer of this world, and make no illusion they have anyone's best interests at heart other then their own.

Anyway, I'm bitching and ranting here but at least I know I have the option to one day live my life the way I want to, while so many don't.

Comment

Reading this makes me laugh a little. How many of you actually are actually "saving yourselves from the system"? I know that, yes, most of us eat a different diet. I hear a lot of people (not just here) criticize "sheeple" and go on and on about brainwashing, weak willed, fearful people. But... well, the people criticizing are not exactly making changes or forging ahead. They are just talking.

Honestly, in the US, no one is stopping you from being what you want to be or how you want to live unless you 1. don't wish to pay taxes or 2. do things that fall completely outside of norms and end up hurting others.
                          I know nobody is stopping me from doing whatever I want to. And I do whatever I want to. I just used to believe that others were 'trapped by the system', that that was the reason they all acted and behaved the same. I thought they were brainwashed and could be woken up. I was obsessed with my little Matrix-delusion from around the age of six. After years upon years of trying, I realized that, actually, they are that way because they're incapable of better. They can't 'wake up'. They need authority, control, restrictions. When you remove them, they break down. They aren't like me because they aren't wired that way.
                          So now I can just enjoy my life and not stress about the general populace. I expect no better of them. Having no expectations of people and accepting no authority removes a tonne of stress.
                          --
                          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

• Originally posted by diene View Post
                            Please excuse me while I respond to different people individually over the next couple hours. Apparently the pesky habit of going to bed at night and working out in the morning causes one to fall horribly behind on these threads.

Kochin, I agree with most of what you said. I agree that the vast majority of people are incapable of independent thought and prefer to follow someone else rather than have to think for themselves. I don't know anything about anthropology so I'm just making this up, but I think humans are kind of like pack animals. Maybe not to the same extent as wolves, but humans (and I'm talking about prehistoric man) do live in groups that probably had leaders. So most people have this sort of conformist, group-think mentality that was probably advantageous for survival a long time ago.

But I don't think that's really an argument against anarchism. (And I don't really think that you were necessarily arguing against it either.) It's like Derp mentioned above, leadership is not the same thing as coercion. I expect that, even in an anarchist society, there will be leaders and there will be some kind of social hierarchy because that's just how humans function. Even in a completely voluntary social arrangement, leaders naturally emerge. These are usually people who are intelligent, charismatic, etc. I have no problem with that.

Also, in an anarchist society, there will still be communities that have government (because, as you pointed out, a lot of people would *want* government). The only difference is that the governments don't have the power to force anyone to recognize their authority. It would be completely voluntary. It would actually be government by the consent of the government. Of course, there will also be communities with no government.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that the masses can't think for themselves and that it will be difficult to save them. I've often said that people get the government they deserve. The problem is that the masses lend their support to these terrible governments, and these governments have real power (because the masses give it to them). These governments can really f*** up the lives of the people who can think for themselves and who do not want to be lorded over and enslaved.

These days, in the U.S., the police can just break into your house on a supposed drug raid, except that they had the wrong address or whatever, and they could shoot you or your family without having to face any consequences. There are real problems in this country that affect all of us so it's kind of hard to ignore them. I used to be more of an idealist who wanted to make the world a better place. But, now, I'm not as interested in saving the world anymore (like you, I don't think that you can save other people, they must help/save themselves), but I can't just ignore everything because those things affect me and people I care about.

I don't know if this makes any sense, I'm starting to ramble. Have to get to my next response.
                            I'm not using it as an argument against why anarchy SHOULDN'T be. It's why anarchy CANNOT be. If 80% of people support a system, need it to survive, a system will form. And, when living in a metropolitan society (where the leader cannot know and love every individual, take them into account and care for their individual needs, as in a tribe), the leadership which is chosen becomes corrupt. Look at fashion. People need no leaders. (Why do you need someone to tell you what is 'correct' attire?) Yet they seek them. And these leaders generally fuck with their clients, once they're big and powerful enough.
                            If you remove the system, people will choose a new leadership, which will invariably become corrupt and hurt the people.

Anarchy is now only possible in very small, isolated communities. But what when they're no longer isolated? We are a global, capitalist, corporate society now. Soon the whole world will join it. Then anarchy is impossible. All we'd have is trotskyism. Constant revolution. And a trotskyist society would be a dangerous, unproductive fuck-up, if ever there was one.
                            --
                            Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

• So now I can just enjoy my life and not stress about the general populace. I expect no better of them. Having no expectations of people and accepting no authority removes a tonne of stress.
                              Good for you, but please don't think you are somehow superior or more enlightened... I assume you still live within the system.

Comment

Good for you, but please don't think you are somehow superior or more enlightened... I assume you still live within the system.
                                You misunderstand me. I am in no way an anarchist, a communist or anti-government. I am merely debating these things from the perspective I used to take when I felt nothing would turn out good unless things changed. I dislike the system and would rather be on a farm, on my own, back in a small village. But I see society's benefits. I left those stages of being self-destructive and fullly sociopathic behind me a few years ago. Now I just play the system and play others for everything I can get. I am very much a part of this society, as long as it's convenient to me. When it isn't? I disregard it, of course.

And I can think whatever I want of myself. As a narcissist, it's my prerogative to view others as inferior. When they prove themselves to me: pleasant surprise. Always nice to meet someone worth having some human interaction with. When they continue to allow themselves to be hurt and manipulated by myself, others or society in general: their problem. If they will not/cannot awaken, it becomes their role to be taken advantage of.
                                --

--
                                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X