Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously?

I can't remember who wrote it, but a week or so ago I read a post from someone saying that Americans don't take the U.N seriously.

Personally I don't take anything in politics seriously, but I'm curious if this is the general consensus among Americans and if so, why?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm not convinced the UN take America seriously either
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Most Americans are mostly apathetic about the UN. It seems vaguely un-American.

Comment

I don't.
        For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
        Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
        I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.

Comment

Originally posted by Karock View Post
          I don't.
          For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
          Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
          I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.
          Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
            Don't put words in my mouth, make assumptions on my behalf, or use my words for your own agenda please.

Comment

Which americans? We are divided into quite a few demographics and classes. Most of the Americans I know would not give a flying **** about the U.N. They are more concerned about their jobs, social life, maybe where they'll get their next meal. Their next beer, or cigarette, or joint. Maybe they'll gossip and then go watch T.V.

Before you berate me, this is a generalization which allows exceptions (for exceptions are numerous.) This is basically my experience. The average American does not want the American "Dream" to fade. The illusion suits them just fine. I almost envy them.

Comment

I don't know anything about the U.N., basically.

I would agree that most Americans seem primarily focused on domestic/immediate/local issues.
                Depression Lies

Comment

<--- This American takes nothing seriously.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Take serious in terms of what? In a nation the size of the US with it's dominance in terms of economic and military might, the UN doesn't have a lot of relevance. That just means that in countries that depend on foreign aid or have a lot of human rights issues, they likely have a larger role. In terms of their ability to discipline--we aren't the target there but we're not fond of being told what to do or someone questioning our motives in world events. The ideal of UN sanctions against the US would be seen as ridiculous and unwarranted and we'd probably run them out of the country.

I'm sure a lot of American's and others see the US as the world's police force in that we are always getting involved in various situations around the globe. Some would probably prefer the UN take on that role instead but few would have any confidence in their ability to do that or trust that they would act accordingly. Terrorism and nuclear build up certainly continues despite ineffective efforts by the UN for example.

My perception though is no one takes them all that seriously, not just those in the US. It's just a cool place to tour while in NYC...

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      <--- This American takes nothing seriously.
                      beat me to it

it's hard to take the UN seriously when it's all them over there *vague hand wave*
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        it's hard to take the UN seriously when it's all them over there *vague hand wave*
                        Lol.
                        Many people seem to forget how big some places are. For instance, New Zealand has a population of less than half of my state alone. With that much of an area and this size of a populace, you will have massive variations of prejudices, thought processes, morals and ideals. What people in New York think vs what people in Alabama think vs what people in Oregon think as far as politics, family style, morals, etc are MUCH more dispersed than the differences between Auckland and Invercargill.
                        So painting anything that has to do with what people think, want, mean, pay attention to across the entire nation is using an awful large brush. And its wrong.

Comment

I believe I was the one who made the original statement in Gadsie's post. What I meant by not taking them seriously is that most Americans either A) have no idea they exist B) are vaguely familiar with them but couldn't careless. Others love them, others hate them but most just shrug. As such, when Gadsie was speaking about food laws enforced worldwide, I asked enforced by who, the UN? And said, that Americans would not take them seriously assuming they tried to push some agenda. America ignores them (rightly) on Kyoto, ignores them every time Iran's Mouthpiece gets up and speaks, and basically ignores everything they say.

That said, why would you take a body seriously that expects America to foot most of the bill while appointing countries like Iran, Libya, and Somalia to a council on human rights. That is like making foxes members of the chicken coop committee on chicken safety. Also, when a UN Soldier writes an email to his family saying he is about to die because Hezbollah/Hamas (I do not recall which) is using their UN outpost as a place to launch attacks on Israel and it is a matter of time until the Israeli's bomb it, how do you take them seriously as peacekeepers? The UN is frankly rather a laughable body. They seem to spend most of their time complaining that richer countries are evil while trying to exploit them for money.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I don't know anything about the U.N., basically.
                            It's basically a way for smaller countries to do what the larger countries want without being explicitly dominated by the larger countries. See: coalition of the willing.

Sometimes the same tactics get used on larger countries (basically, the permanent members of the security council) and boy do they get PISSED when that happens.

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I would agree that most Americans seem primarily focused on domestic/immediate/local issues.
                            Yeah, this is true of pretty much people everywhere, but I do agree that american media seems to be very insular. I remember my first day in america, I saw 6 chewing gum commercials in the first hour of TV, and america was spoken of almost reverently as if it was the whole world ("every day, all across America.....").

I seem to see several appeals to america's authority/autonomy by virtue of it's wealth in this thread....
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Karock View Post
                              Lol.
                              Many people seem to forget how big some places are. For instance, New Zealand has a population of less than half of my state alone. With that much of an area and this size of a populace, you will have massive variations of prejudices, thought processes, morals and ideals. What people in New York think vs what people in Alabama think vs what people in Oregon think as far as politics, family style, morals, etc are MUCH more dispersed than the differences between Auckland and Invercargill.
                              So painting anything that has to do with what people think, want, mean, pay attention to across the entire nation is using an awful large brush. And its wrong.
                              Hence I was asking each individual, yo. MDA is the only access I have to a wide plethora of Americans
                              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                              X