April 2013 Discover Magazine Article on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2013 Discover Magazine Article on Paleo

This was an interesting article that came out in Discover this month. I think it's a good discussion about Paleo/Primal eating and living. They mention Mark in there too.

Paleomythic
    by Marlene Zuk
    A growing movement seeks to reproduce the hunter-gatherer lifestyle: running barefoot, pondering polygamy, relying on a diet of meat. But even our ancestors never lived this way. And besides, modern humans have evolved.

Hey no one told me about the polygamy! Two husbands. If the plural of mouse is mice, then maybe the plural of spouse is spice.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      Hey no one told me about the polygamy! Two husbands. If the plural of mouse is mice, then maybe the plural of spouse is spice.
      Hahahaha!!! First I've heard of that too. I booted my first husband for thinking he could have more than one.
      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        Nope. One woman & multiple husbands = ployandry. One man % multiple wives = polygamy.
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
          Nope. One woman & multiple husbands = polyandry. One man % multiple wives = polygamy.
          Yeah, I haven't heard speculation about polygamy. But I understand members of this forum are speculating about polyandry at this very moment.

Comment

I like meat, but one husband is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
              Nope. One woman & multiple husbands = ployandry. One man % multiple wives = polygamy.
              Nope. Polygamy is a general term. It can mean either sex (or both) keep multiple partners. Polyandry = you are correct. Polygyny = one man & multi wives specifically.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Nope. Polygamy is a general term. It can mean either sex (or both) keep multiple partners. Polyandry = you are correct. Polygyny = one man & multi wives specifically.
                Polygyny is the opposite of polyandry, now that the cobwebs are out of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  Polygyny is the opposite of polyandry, now that the cobwebs are out of my head.
                  Yes. That's what I was trying to say. I think successfully, but maybe I made an error I'm not seeing...
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

John, you liked that article in Discover? I just read it and thought it was embarrassingly bad! She seemed to get her definition of paleo from obscure comments from paleo blogs and used those to illustrate "paleofantasies." I was wondering if she was an insulted vegan or something. Her "science weighs in" arguments didn't contain any science or references, only statements like, ' so and so suggests..." I was embarrassed for Discover magazine.

Comment

Memo to Marlene Zuk: “Paleo Nostalgia” is a Big Fat Strawman
                      Memo to Marlene Zuk: "Paleo Nostalgia" is a Big Fat Strawman | Free The Animal

Here's the problem I have with her....she is NOT a biochemist nor is she a medical professor doing actual research in how different foods affect and interact within the human body.

Premise
                      verb (used with object)
                      4. to set forth beforehand, as by way of introduction or explanation.
                      5. to assume, either explicitly or implicitly, (a proposition) as a premise for a conclusion.

Human genetics are pretty damn similar to our hunter/gatherer ancestors.

Hypothesis:
                      1. a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
                      2. a proposition assumed as a premise in an argument.
                      3. the antecedent of a conditional proposition.
                      4. a mere assumption or guess.

If our genetics are similar enough to our hunter/gatherer ancestors does is stand to reason our dietary and activity levels should mimic theirs to attain optimum health.

Theory:
                      1.a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
                      2.a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.

So now somebody has to test the nutritional theory. Even epidemiological doesn't establish cause and effect. That's the lab work from the medical profession and biochemists doing the research...and even then that establishing cause and effect is tough.

I don't think she's done that. Zuk is a good example of how someone with a PhD can still be a moron blinded by her ideology.
                      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

The editor's comments reveal that the magazine has all new editorship. It's obvious from the new political undertones that this group is nothing like the last. They are definitely a bunch of Malthusian death cultists. To them people are a problem, and people should just eat their porridge, live meagerly, and shut up and do what their betters tell them to.
                        Last edited by DaveCulp; 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                        X