Paleo diet slammed in Muscle & Fitness Hers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet slammed in Muscle & Fitness Hers

The cover of this month's Muscle & Fitness Hers (Muscle & Fiction, I've heard Robb Wolf call it) asks "Should You Eat Like Your Ancestors?" I wasn't surprised when their answer was no. The writer interviewed an R.D. (that's the only qualification listed) and spent less than a 1/2 page extolling the benefits of grains and legumes, ignoring that all the benefits she listed are also enjoyed in the paleo diet.

I'm not surprised given the source, but I'm still not impressed.

Looks like Robb Wolf called it! Really, CW is so old and tired and ineffective for most, but they just keep harping away with the SOSO.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

Comment

Who are their sponsors and what would happen to their business if their readers got healthy without buying their products?

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        Who are their sponsors and what would happen to their business if their readers got healthy without buying their products?
        The sponsors own those magazines, literally. These mags are mostly infomercials to sell products. For example, a lot of these protein powders they sell have BCAAs - not particularly paleo. BCAS is fine if you are seriously trying to build muscle and have the capacity to build more. If you aren't building muscle BCAAS can lead to insulin resistance similarly to sugar (source: Fat Chance - Dr Robert Lustig MD).
        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I didn't know that about BCAAs - and everybody's selling them now! Every line has an amino acid drink mix all of a sudden. I just wanna lift - I see no reason to drink watermelon flavored potions that I don't quite understand the purpose of. And if they cause insulin-resistance, good thing I decided to stay away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
            The sponsors own those magazines, literally. These mags are mostly infomercials to sell products. For example, a lot of these protein powders they sell have BCAAs - not particularly paleo. BCAS is fine if you are seriously trying to build muscle and have the capacity to build more. If you aren't building muscle BCAAS can lead to insulin resistance similarly to sugar (source: Fat Chance - Dr Robert Lustig MD).
            So what you're saying is that it's unlikely we'll see a series of articles in the near future on how to get the protein we need from real foods consumed as meals rather than chemical shakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
              all whey protein contains BCAAs. so do meat and eggs. pretty paleo if u ask me.

Comment

sometime last year or the year before there was a several page article in favor of it

but there is a new editor and she's been steering it back to vegetarian/cw. this month's magazine was disappointing, it was almost like every 2nd word was an ad
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  sometime last year or the year before there was a several page article in favor of it

but there is a new editor and she's been steering it back to vegetarian/cw. this month's magazine was disappointing, it was almost like every 2nd word was an ad
                  Seriously? She owns the Nebraska Steakhouse here in NYC! That's crazy that she would be pushing vegetarian!

Comment

Originally posted by Violette_R View Post
                    Seriously? She owns the Nebraska Steakhouse here in NYC! That's crazy that she would be pushing vegetarian!
                    People who eat vegetarian need to buy more supplements.

Comment

Mf hers is my fav mag but holy crap this issue sucked
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Did I miss it or they did not credit Nicole Wilkins at all in the battle rope feature? Lose two competitions to Erin Stern and you don't even merit your name in the magazine?

Comment

Interplay between lipids and branched-c - PubMed Mobile

Branched-chain Amino Acids & Insulin Resistance | LIVESTRONG.COM
                          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            So what you're saying is that it's unlikely we'll see a series of articles in the near future on how to get the protein we need from real foods consumed as meals rather than chemical shakes?
                            Yep. These mags are infomercials to sell the supplements

Making the Connection:The Tie Between Bodybuilding Magazines and Supplement Companies | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Comment

Did I miss it or they did not credit Nicole Wilkins at all in the battle rope feature? Lose two competitions to Erin Stern and you don't even merit your name in the magazine?
                              nicole had her own section to article-write after her win. it disappeared pretty quickly, then erin won and nicole started being featured in other magazines

i think they were trying to make ava cowan the next tosca reno, but that turned into a mess. her short block crammed towards the front of the mag being about her hair being burned off? wtf smh i hhhhaaaaaaaaaated this issue
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

lol

Comment

Working...
                              X