No announcement yet.

Soft Drinks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't qualify as "old pro" by any stretch, but what is helping me right now is tea with some spices, orange and lemon juices, and a little honey. I wind up with about 6 oz of juice and about 2 teaspoons of honey per day. It's far from perfect, but I'm sure it's a ton better than soda and keeps me from the caffeine headache.

Comment

I like Zevia soda for a treat. I mostly drink tea or plain water, but once in a while I really want a soda. Zevia is sweetened with stevia and erythritol, a sugar alcohol. It is calorie-free.

Comment

I used to be a die-hard Dew drinker. No morning coffee, just a Dew, thank you.

Then about 4 yrs ago something gave me a damn good reason to stop drinking that sweet chemical crap --cancer.

Stopped cold turkey. Headache for 3 days. Now, I don't even give it a second thought.

Not that you need something that awful to get you to quit, but find your reason and stick with it. Period.
        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Oh yeah, try kerfir water. If you make it yourself and make it 'fizzy', it's a good replacement on more than one level.
          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Definitely about habit formation and establishing a new routine in place of drinking a coke. Try this out: carry around a pen and small notebook with you, and whenever you get an urge to drink a coke, make a tally in your book. Becoming aware of your urges is the first step. Once you become more and more aware, identify the urge that makes you want to drink coke. Is it stress? Boredom? Craving something sweet? etc. This is called the CUE. Once you've established the Cue, figure out what the Reward from drinking coke is. Is it the sweet taste? The sugar rush? The caffeine buzz?

Now, to change the habit, replace your routine (drinking the coke) with something else, keeping the cue and reward the same.

Make sense?
            Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Comment

I was actually able to just stop, years ago. I do occasionally get an urge for a soda every so often and I usually keep some Virgil's zero (stevia sweetened) cola and/or root beer in the house. The thing about most commercial soda is that they have a high salt content which makes you thirstier (and is then masked by the amount of sugar added), thus you drink more. Virgil's doesn't have this affect on me. Usually half a bottle is all I want. I'll then stick the other half in the fridge and drink it later or the next day, sometimes forgetting altogether.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

The only thing I've ever quit cold turkey in my life was sugar in tea and coffee. Maybe a rip the band aid off approach?

My husband really likes his sodas. He's been gradually cutting back. He went to some of those lightly sweetened teas, and now the totally unsweetened kind--which he doesn't really like. He does like Pellegrino and the flavored Perrier waters as a soda substitute. If you can find Gerolsteiner it has a pleasant almost salty mineral taste.

Comment

I have been primal for a long time, and sometimes it is still difficult for me to refuse soda. What I do is I buy a brand of sparkling water that comes in cans called La Croix. It has no sugar no artificial sweetners, no calories just sparkling water and essential oils to make them taste fruity. I buy the lemon flavor and whenever I get the urge to go out and buy a Dr. Pepper, I just glup down one of these. Works everytime. Somedays I have about three to battle the craving but its better than having one soda.

Comment

I stopped buying it and having it in the house. And I never pay the ridiculous price of beverages in a restaurant.

So if I really, really want a diet coke, I'll go buy one. It's rare that the craving is strong enough to go to that effort though.
                    Sandra
                    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Switch to seltzer. It helps for that bubbly sensation. Also Kombucha is a great alternative, but be careful with having too much. I start bruising easy when I drink kombucha.

1-2 x per year, I will buy some mexican coke. It tastes much better than the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                        I stopped buying it and having it in the house. And I never pay the ridiculous price of beverages in a restaurant.

So if I really, really want a diet coke, I'll go buy one. It's rare that the craving is strong enough to go to that effort though.
                        this works best for me too
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

Just think about rat poop. Up to a certain level is "acceptable" to the FDA in all processed foods. How much is acceptable to you?
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

rat poop is most delicious
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

Another vote for keeping it out of the house. If I'm dying for something other than water, I like having a club soda with a big lime wedge. If you want a treat once in a while go and buy a can of it and enjoy it. I bet if you had to drive to a store for every single can you'd drop your intake a ton.

This is the reason I won't be bringing back 48 cans of beer with me when I drive home from the US. My plans of "oh this will last forever and I'll have it for camping in the summer" go out the window in no time. They call to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X