Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candida? (Prepare for strange picture)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Candida? (Prepare for strange picture)

    Pretty much all my life I have had bad breath (apart from when I brush my teeth with mint oil and baking soda, then it's gona for about 30 minutes). I don't have heartburn issues (though I use to before primal). And I just don't know what to do. I am pretty convinced it comes from my tongue, which looks like this:
    I can't brush the very back of my tongue due to gagging.

    The only thing I can think of is candida, simply because I can't seem to find another explanation. Could this be? Has anyone else experienced bad tongue breath and solved it?
    well then

  • #2
    Looks like a mild case of oral thrush which is caused by candida. Don't brush under the tongue, brush the tongue itself. There should be some over the counter rinses to treat it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

    Comment


    • #3
      I would try apple cider vinegar, coconut oil pulling and a primal diet.
      How long have you been primal? I noticed your vegan reference in your sig, were you vegan before?
      High fruit and grain diets are notorious for candida and yes I agree that's what it looks like.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Aylaway View Post
        I would try apple cider vinegar, coconut oil pulling and a primal diet.
        How long have you been primal? I noticed your vegan reference in your sig, were you vegan before?
        High fruit and grain diets are notorious for candida and yes I agree that's what it looks like.
        A year. I do eat a lot of bananas and drink a lot of raw milk though. This is cheap and high in calories so it's actually my only bulking option for the extra calories.
        I will try your advice. Thanks.
        well then

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          Looks like a mild case of oral thrush which is caused by candida. Don't brush under the tongue, brush the tongue itself. There should be some over the counter rinses to treat it.
          I do brush the tongue itself, but I can't get far back.
          well then

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello Gadsie!

            I cannot really brush that far back either, so I got one of these:

            "Tongue Sweeper Model P Stainless Steel Tongue Cleaner" at amazon

            it works so well that I got one for every member of this family. There are other types of tongue scrapers out there, but they feel like a very large object in the mouth and cause gagging in us, so for us, this the way to go. It is the size of a long toothbrush, just with a stainless steel loop at the end. Whatever you do, do NOT get anything plastic, as plastic gets smelly.
            Last edited by Crabbcakes; 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM.
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you floss? If you have a small piece of meat stuck in the space between back molars, it can rot and stink. If you have some little gaps down in between otherwise crowded teeth, fibres of meat can get caught in there. If so, you can put a single or even double overhand knot in the floss, pull it tight and then use it to clean the gap between your teeth.

              Voice of experience here - I am never without floss for this very reason.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by marthat View Post
                Do you floss? If you have a small piece of meat stuck in the space between back molars, it can rot and stink. If you have some little gaps down in between otherwise crowded teeth, fibres of meat can get caught in there. If so, you can put a single or even double overhand knot in the floss, pull it tight and then use it to clean the gap between your teeth.

                Voice of experience here - I am never without floss for this very reason.
                Yeah I floss.. My current escape is mint oil, which for no longer than 10 minutes
                well then

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                  Hello Gadsie!

                  I cannot really brush that far back either, so I got one of these:

                  "Tongue Sweeper Model P Stainless Steel Tongue Cleaner" at amazon

                  it works so well that I got one for every member of this family. There are other types of tongue scrapers out there, but they feel like a very large object in the mouth and cause gagging in us, so for us, this the way to go. It is the size of a long toothbrush, just with a stainless steel loop at the end. Whatever you do, do NOT get anything plastic, as plastic gets smelly.
                  I'll check it out, thanks
                  well then

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Candida loves sugar. Bananas (ripe ones) have sugar and so does raw milk (lactose). You might want to cut down on these; if you have oral thrush you can be sure you have overgrown yeast in your gut. You might also consider increasing your probiotic foods: traditional (non-pasteurized) sauerkraut and kimchee, yogurt (make your own from your raw milk and culture for 24 hours to minimize lactose), and kombucha. These compete with the yeast for living quarters in your body...

                    Pea

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
                      Candida loves sugar. Bananas (ripe ones) have sugar and so does raw milk (lactose). You might want to cut down on these; if you have oral thrush you can be sure you have overgrown yeast in your gut. You might also consider increasing your probiotic foods: traditional (non-pasteurized) sauerkraut and kimchee, yogurt (make your own from your raw milk and culture for 24 hours to minimize lactose), and kombucha. These compete with the yeast for living quarters in your body...

                      Pea
                      I second this advice.

                      What's your history with antibiotics? They're notorious for sweeping out the good bacteria along with the bad. Also, do you consume nuts and if so, which ones? It might be a good idea to eliminate them for a while, because they may contain mold (some more than others). I've also heard that caffeine should be cut when fighting candida, since it stresses the immune system. I unfortunately have no reliable sources and it's just something I've heard somewhere so I can't vouch for it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yenni View Post
                        I second this advice.

                        What's your history with antibiotics? They're notorious for sweeping out the good bacteria along with the bad. Also, do you consume nuts and if so, which ones? It might be a good idea to eliminate them for a while, because they may contain mold (some more than others). I've also heard that caffeine should be cut when fighting candida, since it stresses the immune system. I unfortunately have no reliable sources and it's just something I've heard somewhere so I can't vouch for it.
                        I don't eat nuts, I eat a lot of bananas and drink raw milk. I want to cut the bananas, however I need to find a high calorie replacement and bananas have some minerals which are sometimes difficult to find.
                        well then

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                          I don't eat nuts, I eat a lot of bananas and drink raw milk. I want to cut the bananas, however I need to find a high calorie replacement and bananas have some minerals which are sometimes difficult to find.
                          Potassium, magnesium, manganese?

                          How about avocado?

                          Per 100 g:
                          Potassium: avocado 485 mg - banana 358 mg.
                          Magnesium: avocado 29 mg - banana 27 mg.
                          Manganese: avocado 0.1 mg - banana 0.3 mg.
                          Kcal: avocado 160 - banana 89
                          Sugar: avocado 1 g - banana 11 g

                          A: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties
                          B: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bananas, raw


                          Also if you're looking for something special I recommend this link:
                          http://www.fineli.fi/topfoods.php?lang=en

                          It's a food composition databank maintained by our National Institute for Health and Welfare. Some products are very local and specific, but it has all the basics and you can search for foods by specifying the most/least of various macro- and micronutrients.
                          Last edited by Yenni; 02-23-2013, 09:24 AM. Reason: Link addition

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X