Pain - how do you cope ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain - how do you cope ????

Pain is something that has always intrigued me.
    They say childbirth pain will be dealt with better if you are well rested, low on stress etc.....
    but why is it that some people cope with pain better than others ???????
    I had a tattoo many years ago - yes Gwamma was a wee bit naughty that day - but I can honestly say that the pain that I endured after a caesarian, (during the caesar I was out to it - high on whatever the hell they give you in theatre, but as soon as I was awake I accepted no more pain relief) was far easier than the pain I experienced having my tattoos done
    .........so whats the go ????? Why do some of us cope better with pain than others of us ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Some people suck it up and drive on; some people are little bitches.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Some people release fewer endorphins to cope with the pain, so they hurt more. And how we cope with things generally has a genetic component.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Personally, I prefer good drugs to deal with pain..... woo hoo! Better living through chemistry! Pain is why God made Demorol and Vicodin.....

Comment

Probably something related to the stress. My dentist says she only has one other patient who doesn't want local anesthetics. I don't want them because I am not afraid, my mom was my first and only dentist for almost 30 years, I trusted her and (just like my dad) drosed off while my teeth were repaired. Now that other one practices yoga and does some special breathing techniques - means she is busy the whole time.
          My tatttoo only hurt a little over the old scar that it was meant to cover. The bit over normal skin did not hurt, I just felt a little tickling. Still that did not stop me from fainting, mostly because I was sitting in an awkward position with my lungs pressed closed in order to strech my hand as far out as possible. It was ok after I got more comfortable.
          Childbirth was not painful at all, the secret is the correct breathing. Although most of the time I was sound asleep in my hospital bed.
          So I believe is all about stress.

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
            Personally, I prefer good drugs to deal with pain..... woo hoo! Better living through chemistry! Pain is why God made Demorol and Vicodin.....
            Ooh, my kinda' attitude! Come on over to my place for some Ativan and Percocet, honey!

Seriously, though, I think people are built differently. I have a couple of kids with sensory issues, so I definitely believe that neurological differences exist that can account for it. Although therapy and different techniques can improve stuff and help folks cope better in different pain situations and all, I believe that a fundamental difference still is there, like eye color or height cannot be changed.
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              Ooh, my kinda' attitude! Come on over to my place for some Ativan and Percocet, honey!

Seriously, though, I think people are built differently. I have a couple of kids with sensory issues, so I definitely believe that neurological differences exist that can account for it. Although therapy and different techniques can improve stuff and help folks cope better in different pain situations and all, I believe that a fundamental difference still is there, like eye color or height cannot be changed.
              Party at the Crabycakes Manor!

Comment

Honestly, I can deal with most pain without happy pills. The exceptions to that rule are headaches, sinus aches, jaw pain, and earaches. With those, I'm a baby, pass the hydrocodone.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I'm down.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I have a very high pain tolerance. I had 3 natural deliveries with no drugs and tattoos make me laugh. Seriously, they tickle. If pain gets real bad for me, I tend to pass out. I have passed out from pain 3 times as an adult and I used to pass out from pain all the time as a child.
                    Georgette

Comment

"Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

I guess I have a rather high pain threshhold. In my younger days I had dreadlocks made. I had them made at an afro-hair salon, and the lady doing them asked me 'doesn't it hurt?' apparently, most of her other customers who had them made had complained to no end.
                        Also, when I had my first tattoo, I remarked that it hurt most in my butt, for sitting still for so many hours

Comment

I have only had the one go at a tatt, and that was my eyeliner lines, and I truely thought that I was strong. Anyhoo I WILL NEVER GET MY EYELINES TATTOOED AGAIN !!!!!! EVER - END - FULLSTOP !!!!!!!

unless I am put under a GA !!!! LOL
                          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I would imagine that as being way more painful than most other tattoo sites!

Comment

Depends on the pain, I guess.

Dental pain? I cannot tolerate even the slightest sensation in the dentists office. I must have full numbness!

Tattoo pain? Yeah, sometimes it really really hurts. I've got one coming up on my ankle. I know it's really going to hurt. You just have to bear it. Breathing helps. Trying to think of other things helps. Gripping the arm rests like you're going to break the chair kinda just happens. Once they are done it doesn't hurt as much and I can tolerate that kind of ache okay.

Lingering pain, like after an injury or surgery? After my hysterectomy, once I was home with my bottle of vicodin, I think I only took them the first day. After that I went without. I could tolerate the pain.

Sometimes I'll get a muscle pain, headache or some other kind of pain that just won't go away. Sometimes just taking a high dose of ibuprofen (like 4 of the OTC ones) is enough to break the cycle of pain and get me out of it. Then it'll just be gone and that's that.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X