Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal - good for your teeth - yay or nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal - good for your teeth - yay or nay?

I've been fairly strictly primal for just over 2 years, and the only complaint (amidst all the good stuff) is that my teeth seem to have become worse over that period, as in more discolouration and more sensitivity. There may or may not be any connection, but I did come across this article which suggests this way of eating would be great for oral health

Does anyone else have concerns with Primal / healthy teeth? I guess one point I'm concerned about is that meat is quite acidic, so from a simpleton point of view increasing your consumption could cause acid erosion.... any thoughts / experiences out there?

i have zero sensitivity when i stay away from wheat and stick to meat vegetables and dairy. i don't eat a whole lot of fruit so i don't know how my teeth do on that

what do you eat?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

I have been eating this way for about 7/8 months and I think that my teeth are alot better. I must admit that not having sugar must be great for the teeth -
      off to the dentist in 2 weeks so more info then (toothy grin)
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I hd a couple of sensitive teeth pre- primal and thought I'd eventually need fillings. They have gradually improved and are now not sensitive at all. And the hygenist is amazed at how much less plaque my teeth develop now.

Comment

Primal is definitely good for teeth. Fat soluble vitamins and bacterial diversity are both beneficial
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Dental caries feed on simple carbs, primal is excellent for your dental health as long as you remember to floss out all the meat fragments.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

My hygienist was wowed the last two times. I will keep going. Primal, and the dentist, that is.
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I've been primal since December and had my last cleaning a week ago. As people above stated, my hygenist was amazed at the lack of tartar and the chronic gingivitis I've had since forever was gone. She told me that whatever I'm doing is working for me.

As an aside, I've noticed that my meat consumption has *decreased* significantly since going primal and my veggie intake has sky-rocketed. Undiagnosed gluten-intolerance is probably playing a part here as I think I ate so much of it before because I wasn't absorbing the nutrients.

Comment

My hygenist was also shocked.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I've a quirk - even when I ate a fairly SAD, I never had much cause for dental work. Never brushed, flossed, etc but never developed so much as bad breath. Not a cavity.

Switched dentists once, magically walked out with some fillings (strange, I don't remember seeing anything...). Switched to a new one (insurance!) and never needed one since.

M>

Comment

My dentist said my teeth were really healthy, as well as the amount of bone retention. I thought all of the bone broth I use in my cooking now may have helped. My kids had good reports from the dentist too.

Comment

Originally posted by For_Sparta View Post
                        Does anyone else have concerns with Primal / healthy teeth? I guess one point I'm concerned about is that meat is quite acidic, so from a simpleton point of view increasing your consumption could cause acid erosion.... any thoughts / experiences out there?
                        If you are worried about your teeth, try using a xylitol based toothpaste and gum. The stuff is primal and great for your teeth and bones. I had some sensitivities before I switched a couple years ago, since then my teeth and gums have never been better.

Are Sugar Alcohols Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                        There appear to be some interesting health benefits to xylitol, too, beyond the well-established preventive actions against dental plaque and cavities. Xylitol shows promise as a bone remineralization agent, positively affecting both tooth enamel and bone mineral density (albeit, thus far, in rats). I count at least ten studies showing xylitol’s promise in the treatment or prevention of osteoporosis.

Comment

Fat soluble vitamins. And minerals. Make sure you get most votamins from animals: organs etc. Also do not eat too much raw vegies or other things with antinutrients, if you have a lack of vitamin sunlight, do not take vitamin d supplement, but fermented cod liver oil
                          well then

Comment

Our dentists/hygenists were also super-psyched. I'd love to get two cleanings a year, but can't afford that yet. Eventually, I'd like to get to 4. But htat's just being fancy.

Comment

Weston A. Price was a dentist. He supported this way of eating wayyyy back when.

Comment

Working...
                              X