Suggest a movie to watch this weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest a movie to watch this weekend

Of the last 20 or so movies I've watched, I only liked Cloud Atlas and Amour. Maybe it's just a bad spell but I feel like I've seen all the good movies that exist.

These are the other movies I liked over the past year:

Samsara
    2001: A Space Odyessey
    This is Spinal Tap
    Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
    Midnight In Paris
    Cache
    Biutiful
    Zodiac
    Se7en
    Headhunters

Can somebody recommend me a good movie to watch this weekend? Foreign films are definitely game.

The Three Colors Trilogy is available free at Hulu. White expires in 3 days; Red and Blue expire in 4 days.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Special
      Special (2006) - IMDb

Hard Candy
      Hard Candy (2005) - IMDb

Comment

I don't often like films, but I very much enjoyed Intouchables . It is funny and heartwarming and the soundtrack is full of intricate, plangent pianos. Eat Drink Man Woman. Antonia's Line. Babette's Feast. La Reine Margot. Battle Royale... Seen them all? Also, second the vote for the Three Colours trilogy.
        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Drop Dead Fred - very funny !!!!!!!
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Usual Suspects
            In Bruges
            There Will Be Blood
            History of Violence

Comment

Skyfall. I see it is coming out on dvd soon. I think it is the best Bond film ever!

Comment

My favourite foreign films:

- Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno)
                - Life is Beautiful (La vita bella)
                - Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) - this was actually remade into "Vanilla Sky"... which I thought was shit. This, the original, is amazing.

Other:

- Bladerunner
                - The Big Lebowski

etc.
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                  Usual Suspects
                  In Bruges
                  There Will Be Blood
                  History of Violence
                  Great movies! I also love This is Spinal Tap.

Seems like you may like more artsy types or maybe even foreign films. Check out Like Water for Chocolate, Cinema Paradiso, Eat Drink, Man Woman, High Art and a lot of movies on IFC if you have cable. I will also give Pan's Labrynth 2 enthusiastic thumbs up
                  Georgette

Comment

Ooo I will second Pan's Labyrinth and The Usual Suspects!

Midnight in Paris is one of my favorite movies. I might give it a re-watch soon!
                    yay!

Comment

I don't know why, I immediately thought of "Gattaca". I don't know if it's on Netflix, though.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Although very old, Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist make a good double bill.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Feeling like a movie marathon tonight - I'll be watching the Three Colors trilogy and Eat Drink Man Women.

Originally posted by specsAreGrok View Post
                          Hard Candy is such a crazy movie, maybe extra for me because I watched it cold (no clue what it was about).

Originally posted by CavemanJoe View Post
                          Usual Suspects
                          In Bruges
                          There Will Be Blood
                          History of Violence
                          The Usual Suspects is one of my favourites.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          My favourite foreign films:

- Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno)
                          - Life is Beautiful (La vita bella)
                          - Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) - this was actually remade into "Vanilla Sky"... which I thought was shit. This, the original, is amazing.

Other:

- Bladerunner
                          - The Big Lebowski

etc.
                          Life is Beautiful is amazing and amazingly depressing. If you haven't seen it you have to watch it.

Everyone loves Bladerunner but I thought it was overrated. I think you had to have watched it first came out to truly appreciate how trend setting it was. To me though it plays like a B-movie.

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          I don't know why, I immediately thought of "Gattaca". I don't know if it's on Netflix, though.
                          I love Gattaca! Seen it thrice.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          Although very old, Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist make a good double bill.
                          Rosemary's Baby = my favorite horror movie of all time. Not as big of a fan of The Exorcist, although I've been meaning to watch the director's cut.

Comment

Originally posted by ulnauy View Post

Life is Beautiful is amazing and amazingly depressing.
                            Extremely dark, and extremely beautiful. The dichotomy of life. It's how I roll
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Skyfall is good!
                              We just ordered the BlueRay/digital combo.

I watched End of Watch recently. Not usually a fan of cop drama, but I enjoyed this one. Not sure if it's out on video yet. Someone loaned us a 'copy'.
                              Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Working...
                              X