Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who feeds their dogs a raw diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • who feeds their dogs a raw diet?

    i know it has been discussed here before, but i was too lazy to search so i thought i'd start a new thread. i've always fed high quality, grain free food food to my dogs, but lately i've been thinking of going to a raw diet. what do you guys feed your doggies, and what kind of transition did you make to get them there? any tips, suggestions, advice?

  • #2
    My first ridiculous answer:

    Dog food is a scam perpetuated by the food conglomerates to sell us waste products.

    Dogs should eat your scraps, not a food processing facility's, dammit.

    My other ridiculous answer:

    Also, they should eat US Wellness Meats pet burger, but only if they pry it from my cold, dead fork.
    The Champagne of Beards

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      My first ridiculous answer:

      Dog food is a scam perpetuated by the food conglomerates to sell us waste products.

      Dogs should eat your scraps, not a food processing facility's, dammit.

      My other ridiculous answer:

      Also, they should eat US Wellness Meats pet burger, but only if they pry it from my cold, dead fork.
      i knew you'd chime in on this one...you love that pet burger. and i agree with you 100% i need to do this raw thing as affordably as possible, and with my 2 monsters, i'd be feeding them $120 worth of pet burger a week. not exactly financially feasable

      Comment


      • #4
        Funny, we raised our dogs "primally"...but WE weren't primal until a few months ago!!! Anyway, our kennel "pedigrees" are now 20 and 21 years old. Some senility in one, some arthritis in the other, both have some hearing issues, neither actually RUNS any more...but they romp in the snow and generally love life still! Oh, and we have a 16 year old cat still going strong (although we adopt only elderly cats that have been turned in to the SPCA, so we didn't get him until he was 14 and our 19 year old cat had died. We had adopted the 19 year old at 17, and she had cancer...).

        So primal is the way to go for animals!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
          i knew you'd chime in on this one...you love that pet burger. and i agree with you 100% i need to do this raw thing as affordably as possible, and with my 2 monsters, i'd be feeding them $120 worth of pet burger a week. not exactly financially feasable
          Yeah, feeding them that exclusively is definitely out, but once a week probably isn't a bad idea. Dig some tiny burmese tiger traps in the yard and bait them with acorns. They'll eat squirrel, right?
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Yeah, feeding them that exclusively is definitely out, but once a week probably isn't a bad idea. Dig some tiny burmese tiger traps in the yard and bait them with acorns. They'll eat squirrel, right?
            i'm sure they would. when jake was younger he used to chase squirrels all the time. he seriously tried to climb a tree after a squirrel once. both of them chase rabbits around the yard all the time

            Comment


            • #7
              If you feed them a raw diet make sure it includes all the animal parts, like organs, and not just the meat/hamburger. Since you're in NJ you could probably pick up a lot of roadkill deer.
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

              Comment


              • #8
                There's a pet thread in the Success Stories sub forum. Cat and dog owners alike!
                Depression Lies

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  i'm sure they would. when jake was younger he used to chase squirrels all the time. he seriously tried to climb a tree after a squirrel once. both of them chase rabbits around the yard all the time
                  Time to start bagging some squirrels. Blow gun legal?
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We adopted our dog at 9 months old from the shelter. We tried a bagged raw food initially but it made him sick. Vet told us to feed him chicken parts. We just started feeding it to him and he ate it no transition at all. The 16+ year old cat took from April to December to fully transition to raw food. Neither will eat organ meats except on rare occasions when I can sneak a little liver to them. The cat eats some raw fish on occasion but generally prefers raw chicken. It's really not hard. a few left over vegetables for the dog and all seems well and everyone is healthy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have been feeding our dog a raw diet since we got him at 4 months. He's now 7 years. He eats chicken necks/wing tips, ground chicken, ground duck, ground pheasant, ground quail, ground rabbit (all ground with bones), pasture-raised ground pork and for red meat venison, lamb and his absolute favourite food, beef green tripe. With his "white meats" he gets about 10% organ meat, generally heart or liver. He gets either salmon oil on his food or 1 tsp coconut oil after his meal. He hates veggies, so I I put a small sprinkle of kelp and/or spirulina, and supplement with a bit of Diatomaceous Earth. For treats he eats these sorts of treats: True Raw Choice :: Companion Pet Products . Best transition meat (in my opinion) is green beef tripe. Word of warning, it smells like cow sh*t, but dogs love it. Transition slowly. Start with a bit of old food in the morning. In the evening, give a raw meal. Do not mix the two as they digest at different rates. Then, slowly reduce the amount of regular food, and increase raw. If your dog is not picky, then include some veggies (be sure to check which veggies are safe for dogs to eat). Veggies make up a small portion of the meal. When I first started feeding him raw, I learned a lot from a local store. I've included their website because they have some Q&As. IN THE RAW, FOOD FOR DOGS AND CATS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Time to start bagging some squirrels. Blow gun legal?
                        nope. i just checked the regs though and rabbit season stays open until the 24th, while squirrel is open until the 18th. deer is over in my zone, but there are a few zones still open until saturday. i plan on spending the afternoon in my treestand for sure. i might have to get out and do a little rabbit and squirrel hunting before they end.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you get a bunch, we may have to make a small pet-burger-for-yard-creature trade. Save me any bones you aren't going to use, please.
                          The Champagne of Beards

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            If you get a bunch, we may have to make a small pet-burger-for-yard-creature trade. Save me any bones you aren't going to use, please.
                            haha... yard creatures

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I can't comment about dogs, other than the fact that the raw food we feed our cats is for dogs or cats. It's Nature's Variety Instinct Raw. Frozen. It contains a variety of meats (muscle meats, organs), vitamins, and ground bone. We started feeding this last fall, and it has been the best thing we could have done for them. Two are kittens and they're very healthy and growing well. The adult cat was starting to get pudgy and didn't want to play as much, now she's slimmed down, healthy and muscular, and loves to play with the kittens.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X