No announcement yet.

who feeds their dogs a raw diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Def do a search on here There are lots of posts. But the short of it, even grain free dry food is not good, firstly its cooked, dogs need raw, with the odd veg scraps from you. Offal is great too. Whole animals are even better.
    My dogs get chicken frames, quails, lamb offcuts, lamb shanks, and occasionally minced kangaroo that the cats eat. Depending on the size of the dog you may have to adjust things. For example dont give a large dog a chicken neck or wing, because they could swallow it whole. Beef is not as good for dogs as its quite acidic, but mine do get it sometimes. As for the quantity, just let them guide you, but my 2 dogs (chihuahua, and a daushaund X) get a meal each afternoon. Sometimes they bury it and go back for it later, this is fine, their digestive systems cope well with this due to the acidity and they won't get sick.

At first you may struggle to get your dogs to eat it, but they will, and cold turkey is the best way.

Ox-tail is great. Remember always RAW with meaty bones, never cooked, as they can splinter.

I really want to get whole animals for my dogs, but so hard to find baby bunnies people will sell as food.

Comment

Oh and only human quality stuff is best.

Comment

I feed my 2 raw, on average it cost me between 2.55-3.50 a day to feed a 170 lb mastiff and a 85lb german shepherd (2 kg of meat a day. i figgure it would cost me at least that to feed a higher quality kibble(not including increased vet bills)

My 8 year old mastiff got mistaken for a 4 year old last time he was at the vets (no vet bills for health, he slipped on the ice and hurt himself) even though 8-10 is considerd average life span for them.. Think that says something
        I feed pretty much everything except chicken... My shepherd starts itching like crazy on chicken... Probably to do with what they feed them.
        But beef, veal, duck, tukey, venison, phesant, tripe, lamb, offal etc.... All good
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

thats a shame about the chicken dino hunter.
          Can you not find hormone free, grain free chicken for yourself? We have the best butcher who doesn't even give the egg chickens grains.

Comment

We feed our dogs a raw diet.

Mornings we alternate chicken carcasses, pork neck bones and beef bones.

Evening meals rotate between organ meats (usually heart), regular ground beef, greens, canned pure pumpkin, and once a week, canned salmon or tuna. They also get whole eggs (with shell), and fish oil supplements.

We recently eradicated grains from their diet which were present in their treats. We have a dehydrator and make our own treats from beef lung, liver or other organs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
              thats a shame about the chicken dino hunter.
              Can you not find hormone free, grain free chicken for yourself? We have the best butcher who doesn't even give the egg chickens grains.
              Yeah, I can get organic free range from my butcher (he deals with a local farmer) but to expensive to feed the dogs on unless im parting it out in which case they might get the carcass ... if im not using to make broth.
              Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

yeah thats fair enough I am sure they will love any carcases they do manage to get though

Comment

Working...
                X