So last night I got the sugar CRAZIES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So last night I got the sugar CRAZIES

I'm on day 6 now of my primal experience. Up until last night everything was going exceptionally well. Last night: CRAZY CRAVINGS. I wanted pecan pie, I wanted to pour sugar right into my mouth from the sugar pourer. I wanted SUGAR.
    To combat it, I first tried a fruit smoothie (pineapple, banana, strawberries, a tiny bit of yogurt). It worked for about 10 minutes. I'm not at home, and my host had a Almond Joy chocolate bar, which if nothing else is minimal on grains. Heavy on sugar. Helped for about 20 minutes. And then my body just went nuts, and i was pacing up and down and couldn't THINK. So I had a handful of pretzels my host had kicking around.
    BAD idea. My stomach started paining me almost immediately, it was awful. That lasted a good 1/2 hour.
    But I was STILL getting the crazy sugar thing.
    I made bacon, and it stopped.

So, my guess is that the craving was related to grains? I know they convert into sugar quickly. A couple of friends who have gone primal suspect this is the case. Opinions? And what do you think I should do the next time this happens? (Bacon will not always be at hand, sadly!)

Dark chocolate. Sorry, what was the question?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Take a walk, or run up and down the stairs, go to bed, drink some water, glass of red wine...it was clearly just cravings so you need to redirect. Treat cravings like you would a child with impulse control issues: 1) don't leave dangerous items out, 2) redirect the child from things they can make dangerous, 3) remove them from the situation.
      Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
      Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
        Dark chocolate. Sorry, what was the question?
        Thank you, I love it and will try it!

Comment

I think you just have to push through, to be honest. Fortunately my worst cravings happen at night, so I go to sleep. I have occasionally woken up feeling like I'm starving but I just force myself to go back to sleep.

One thing I've noticed is any type of simple carb seems to be able to set off a craving. Inside my body, dark chocolate, pasta or wine all seem to do the same thing- make me crave more carbs. I don't get that from complex carbs like leafy greens and broccoli.
          High Weight: 225
          Weight at start of Primal: 189
          Current Weight: 174
          Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I know if I eat a little sugar it is going to get out of hand real quick so I just avoid it as much as possible. I stopped smoking cigarettes over 15 years ago and still crave one every once in awhile but I know if I try to just have one I will instantly be a smoker again. It is the same thing with sugar for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JennGlob View Post
              Take a walk, or run up and down the stairs, go to bed, drink some water, glass of red wine...it was clearly just cravings so you need to redirect. Treat cravings like you would a child with impulse control issues: 1) don't leave dangerous items out, 2) redirect the child from things they can make dangerous, 3) remove them from the situation.
              I
              I definitely consider myself a child with poor impulse control! As I am not at home I don't have complete control over what's in the house. However, when I'm at home, being the only primal person there, I won't have complete control either. So it's something I'm going to have to learn to deal with. Yes, a walk may have been a good idea. I have some ideas of what ot
              do now, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst42 View Post
                Thank you, I love it and will try it!
                Np. Now, the next step is, what is dark chocolate?

Before primal, we used to get 'regular' and 'dark' chocolate from trade aid, where the dark chocolate is 49% cocoa.

Now, we get daddy bear (85%), mummy bear (70%) and baby bear (49%) chocolate. So what the kids think is 'normal' is actually dark chocolate for most normals.

Try to train your palate towards the darker chocolate. SO much better.
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                  Np. Now, the next step is, what is dark chocolate?

Before primal, we used to get 'regular' and 'dark' chocolate from trade aid, where the dark chocolate is 49% cocoa.

Now, we get daddy bear (85%), mummy bear (70%) and baby bear (49%) chocolate. So what the kids think is 'normal' is actually dark chocolate for most normals.

Try to train your palate towards the darker chocolate. SO much better.
                  I'm one those weirdos that even pre-primal loved my 85% dark. I've not liked milk chocolate since I was a kid. (I don't know if I really liked it then, but dammit, it was my Easter bunny and I was going to eat it!)

I live in Canada, and haven't heard of Trade Aid, but have a local called "10,000 Villages" that gets in similar fair tried goodies. As well, me mum travels to Guatemala regularly, and buys directly from the farmers!

YAY chocolate!

Comment

When I get a sugar craving, I tend to eat something salty instead -- an olive or 2 usually. Seems to fulfill the same need and the craving goes away.

As far as chocolate, I'll just eat the darn raw cocoa beans straight up and call it a day. Can't get much more dark chocolate than that.

Comment

I gave in to more sugar than I have eaten in over a year. The result was a cold sore and feeling like crap. DUH

Comment

If I am craving sugar I don't eat sugar. I feel like that just teaches my body that it's okay to have sugar. Maybe it's just mental. You felt better after eating bacon, which has fat & protein, so maybe you just need more FOOD.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Sometimes I get past cravings by telling myself that I can't have it today, but if I still want it tomorrow, I can have it then. If I do still want it the next day, I try the same thing - not today, but tomorrow if I still want it. It's not foolproof, but it works often.

The mental beastie that wants us to fail is probably present in all of us. It's bigger in some than others, and sometimes you just have to beat it (or in this case starve it) into submission.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I can control the need to sugar bomb myself if I eat some chocolate or fruit, and have a tin of sardines or some savory protein. Even cheese will do - but I'll eat something like that before going back for more sugar. Blunts the hunger - straight sugar and /or fat just leads to feeling like I need more.

Comment

Bacon was a good call, fat is satisfying. My last craving was cured by bacon too, the one before that I made a very small glass of rich chocolate milk with whole milk, a splash of heavy cream, cocoa powder, and stevia drops. We don't generally have sugar in an easily eaten form around the house, which helps a ton with getting through cravings and not getting derailed.

Comment

Working...
                              X