Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you meet your significant other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Match.com checking in! After a year of being divorced and losing 78 pounds going Primal, I decided to meet some new people and give the online dating thing a try for fun. Her profile was hilariously short - she didn't want to post a lot of information about herself online. I thought she was way too pretty for the likes of me so I just sent her a one line message saying that her short profile made me laugh.

We met and talked over a glass of wine for three hours, had our first kiss on the skyride at the county fair and have been dating going on two years now.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
      Wow. I don't know if we would have made it 7 years apart. Damn. That must have been tough.
      And it was through the late 70's and early 80's, long before instant messaging, email, celphones, texting, Skype, even cheap long distance! We wrote letters! And struggled through non-digital, non-optic long distance phone calls. After the first year or so, we were at two separate universities about 40 minutes drive apart and we made a point to see each other every weekend unless it was exam time. Sometimes the weekend ended at 10 a.m. Sunday morning so that we could each get back to our homework. We've been together a total of 34 years now, including the courtship - still amazes me to think of it!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
        Yes, there is something magical about that. DH and I were 24 when we met, so it was too late for us, but after 26 years with one person, you realize the very limited value of that prior "experience".
        I have to say that my experience was the opposite. Prior experience was actually rather important part of our relationship. We knew each other in high school, but there is no way we would have dated any earlier than we did. We both needed to grow up a bit first, and in reference to physical "experience", well, that was very important in the building of our relationship. I realize not everyone places the same kind of value in physical intimacy, however.

[edit] Ignore this, I realize you aren't trying to slight anyone's experiences, I'm just not being very rational today.
        Last edited by namelesswonder; 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM.
        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
          And it was through the late 70's and early 80's, long before instant messaging, email, celphones, texting, Skype, even cheap long distance! We wrote letters! And struggled through non-digital, non-optic long distance phone calls. After the first year or so, we were at two separate universities about 40 minutes drive apart and we made a point to see each other every weekend unless it was exam time. Sometimes the weekend ended at 10 a.m. Sunday morning so that we could each get back to our homework. We've been together a total of 34 years now, including the courtship - still amazes me to think of it!
          Oh, OK. That's not QUITE so bad. We were in MA and OR and only saw each other in person every 3-4 months on school breaks. Probably could have handled several years of being 40 minutes apart if we had to! Still sucks though.
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Was at a comedy show with a bunch of friends when all of a sudden this girl comes over and sits on my lap and asks me to drive her to friends house after the show. I drove her to her friends place which was only a mile away from where I lived, we stay out i the car for 5 hours talking waiting for her friend to come home, we went out to the movies the next night and that was it. we have been together now for 32 years and still the love of my life.
            You are what you eat, so only eat the best!

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
              I have to say that my experience was the opposite. Prior experience was actually rather important part of our relationship. We knew each other in high school, but there is no way we would have dated any earlier than we did. We both needed to grow up a bit first, and in reference to physical "experience", well, that was very important in the building of our relationship. I realize not everyone places the same kind of value in physical intimacy, however.

[edit] Ignore this, I realize you aren't trying to slight anyone's experiences, I'm just not being very rational today.
              No, I get what you mean. The man I would have married, if I'd married at 20, would have been a disaster. I had to reach a certain level of maturity, I guess, before I was attracted to the kind of man who made a good long term investment. I don't feel badly about that. But I can also see the sweetness in finding your soul mate while you're still basically a child.

I just meant that all the sex before that brought nothing of value to our relationship. I can see now that we would have found our way regardless.
              50yo, 5'3"
              SW-195
              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Working...
              X