Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with my thighs~

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I decided to read your post, since I had been reasonably insulting to you in my previous one, and was perhaps a little unfair.

    From my own personal experiences, my body retains water when I have more 'stuff' that has to remain in solution. When you eat salt, that salt doesn't travel around your body in crystal form. It's dissolved in water, so eating more salt causes you to retain more water (and increases your blood pressure). Ditto with carbs. Glucose doesn't flow through your arteries by itself. It needs to be toughly four parts water for one part glucose. Eating carbs causes you to retain water.

    You threw out that water retention was likely caused by too much fat, which I have NEVER seen before. When I asked you for more details, let's just say that I wasn't convinced by your supporting arguements and equivocations. I don't subscribe to the 'peatarian' school of thought.

    The 'miracle weight loss' that most people experience when they go primal by dumping the carbs and piling on the fat is all water loss. How can that possibly be if you are right and it's the fat that causes water retention? Shouldn't people be reporting increased bloating when they increase the fat content of their diet if you are right?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

    Comment


    • #17
      My dog is annoyed by fleas (when the neighbors unwashed horde of cats deposit them in my yard), which in turn annoys me because he scratches and because I have to deal with those nasty parasite spreading little insects...

      What does that say about my dog and me?
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

      Comment


      • #18
        Oh my GOD. OP I hope you got your question answered. This turned into a nasty troll squashing thread. Not that I don't think trolls should be squashed... But still.
        The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
          I decided to read your post, since I had been reasonably insulting to you in my previous one, and was perhaps a little unfair.

          From my own personal experiences, my body retains water when I have more 'stuff' that has to remain in solution. When you eat salt, that salt doesn't travel around your body in crystal form. It's dissolved in water, so eating more salt causes you to retain more water (and increases your blood pressure). Ditto with carbs. Glucose doesn't flow through your arteries by itself. It needs to be toughly four parts water for one part glucose. Eating carbs causes you to retain water.

          You threw out that water retention was likely caused by too much fat, which I have NEVER seen before. When I asked you for more details, let's just say that I wasn't convinced by your supporting arguements and equivocations. I don't subscribe to the 'peatarian' school of thought.

          The 'miracle weight loss' that most people experience when they go primal by dumping the carbs and piling on the fat is all water loss. How can that possibly be if you are right and it's the fat that causes water retention? Shouldn't people be reporting increased bloating when they increase the fat content of their diet if you are right?
          That's lipolysis liberating fatty acids from stored fat, it's not just water weight. In my previous post I mentioned ATP. Randle cycle -> PUFA -> decreased cellular respiration -> increased water in cells. Everything is connected to everything. I don't really like to clarify, as I'm not very good at it since my spelling and grammar are atrocious.

          I'm annoyed by mosquitos. What's that say about me, Chief?
          The same thing, except, if I'm supposed to be like a mosquito, I'm not attracted to your scent at all, ergo I'm not actively out to annoy you. You're being annoyed by me, which says wonders about your state of mind.

          I'd imagine mosquitos would be repulsed by you as well, since your blood tastes like iron and you probably stink.
          Make America Great Again

          Comment


          • #20
            Ohhh Derp... You fail.

            Mosquitoes are most highly attracted by our dear old CO2...
            And a good rich blood meal, including that iron, is exactly what the females are looking for because they can't develop fertile eggs without it.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

            Comment


            • #21
              Hahahaha you just got scienced.
              The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                Ohhh Derp... You fail.

                Mosquitoes are most highly attracted by our dear old CO2...
                And a good rich blood meal, including that iron, is exactly what the females are looking for because they can't develop fertile eggs without it.
                ???

                I don't watch the discovery channel animal shows, though, they look interesting. I always assumed iron repelled mosquitoes, so w/e, guess that's a myth because you say it's attractive to them, that means it is. I got told so hard someone made science a verb.

                Btw excessive iron in the blood stunts co2.
                Make America Great Again

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  You're retaining a lot of water. It's likely you're eating too much fat.
                  No. Zach said it was too many carbs.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ayla2010
                    I retain fluid when I have too many carbs, never too much fat.
                    Remember this guy is a troll.
                    yep

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                      No. Zach said it was too many carbs.
                      Actually people who handle carbs efficiently (healthy metabolism) usually are lean, defined and muscular.

                      Someone said earlier that if fat causes bloating then why arent more people bloated on a low carb diet. Uhh, i see people complaining about bloat all the time around here. Its not as simple as carbs or salt holds water = bloat. That just means your body is not utilizing those nutriants correctly. Low carb is usually always the culprit.

                      Hiarious that Derp gets this kind of treatment when he is the only ine actually attempting to offer a solution.

                      As for the OP, its impossible to say without more information. Whats yor daily diet like, how much bodyfat do you have, what types of foods do you eat the night before his happens? Stress and sleep could also be a factor.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                        Oh my GOD. OP I hope you got your question answered. This turned into a nasty troll squashing thread.
                        Agreed on that score. It derailed fast.

                        To the OP- I agree with one of the earlier posts, that this may be a mild form of body dysmorphia. I have it, and it's really weird. Some days I think I look skinny (I'm not) and some days I see myself as I am, when my measurements and weight really haven't changed.

                        Lighting can affect how you see yourself, also. For that matter, even a mirror can, since a mirror with any warp in it at all can make you appear either wider or skinnier than you (guess which type they use in women's dressing rooms?)

                        But to be sure, I'd start measuring and keep a spreadsheet. See if there is an actual difference in your measurements between the days you think you appear skinny and the days you feel you appear bloated.
                        High Weight: 225
                        Weight at start of Primal: 189
                        Current Weight: 174
                        Goal Weight: 130

                        Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          Hiarious that Derp gets this kind of treatment when he is the only ine actually attempting to offer a solution.
                          No, he isn't. He just posted the only "solution" that was unusual enough to get a response calling it so. Plenty of others have offered advice.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                            Oh my GOD. OP I hope you got your question answered. This turned into a nasty troll squashing thread. Not that I don't think trolls should be squashed... But still.
                            To be honest, I found this thread kind of shocking. I know some people consider Derpamix a troll, but seriously? Do you realise what it looks like from an outsider perspective? He offered one suggestion and he was jumped on. It like you put him in the pillory. Someone actually applauded an insult. FFS. Mob mentality.

                            How do we know that excess fat in the diet doesn't cause water retention anyway? Last I checked, there were plenty of things science didn't have the answer to.

                            The OP is long gone.
                            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                            In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                            - Ray Peat

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by eKatherine
                              Perhaps it has to do with the basic idea that just because a person can imagine something and it suits their agenda does not make it a valid hypothesis.
                              It was explained several times. I actually implore people to look it up. It's not so far-fetched. In that vein, just because others deny it, doesn't declare it an invalid hypothesis either. Last I checked, the only thing that was posted towards me regarding what was written in the usual mob mentality playground style insults being uttered from middle aged people. Kind of sad how "too much fat" is all it takes to ignite these goons.

                              Someone said earlier that if fat causes bloating then why arent more people bloated on a low carb diet. Uhh, i see people complaining about bloat all the time around here. Its not as simple as carbs or salt holds water = bloat. That just means your body is not utilizing those nutriants correctly. Low carb is usually always the culprit.
                              Yup.
                              To be honest, I found this thread kind of shocking. I know some people consider Derpamix a troll, but seriously? Do you realise what it looks like from an outsider perspective? He offered one suggestion and he was jumped on. It like you put him in the pillory. Someone actually applauded an insult. FFS. Mob mentality.

                              How do we know that excess fat in the diet doesn't cause water retention anyway? Last I checked, there were plenty of things science didn't have the answer to.
                              Oooga booga, me grok.

                              Grok behaved this way, so should they.
                              Make America Great Again

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                My doctors have me on HFLC to prevent water retention because it helps with a medical issue I have...
                                My neurologist explained why it works.
                                I trust his understanding of how the body works a little better than yours.


                                I actually have days when I treat myself and eat higher carb because I'm not an ascetic and have no desire to be... the effects are very noticeable.
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X