Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not gonna lie--I get Botoxed (at a licensed dermatologist's office, not some fly-by-night thing). I used to look mad all the time and there were fine lines around my mouth (I smoked, but only for 3 years and that was 30 years ago). It's a quick and easy fix and it makes me more confident about myself. I am a pretty confident person, but I don't want people thinking I am mad all the time.
    That said, I also dye my hair--I don't like this in-between business. If I woke up tomorrow and my whole head was white (my "grey" hair is coming in white), I would be cool with that. It's just the in-between stuff make me look dull.
    Other than that, i just use glycolic acid on my face regularly because I have patchy brown spots if I dont. And no, they aren't cute little freckles splashed across my nose!
    http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Magnolia1973- I think yours falls under what I defined as "medical" because you get headaches. And I'm not knocking anyone for doing it for vanity reasons, I just don't think I ever will.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Dee, just wondering - do you eat dairy?
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

am a pretty fair-skinned redhead who has been eating lchf for 3.5 years. i am also 49 and spent MANY summers baking in the sun. i am far less wrinkly than most of my friends and most people think i am barely 40.

what you're describing sounds like "crepey" skin? found this on the web:

tca-peel-crepey-skin.jpg

my grandmother, with alabaster white skin that had gone quite crepey, had a peel years back and looked great after it healed.

also, once i stopped using cleansers of any kind on my face, i stopped needing moisturizers. go figure.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I've been thinking about your question for several days. I haven't replied because my own personal experience has been different. I slowly gained weight from 20 - 60. No lines in my face but I went from 124 to 187 lbs. That's a lot of fat. Next I began to exercise. That did nothing. After retirement I went on a CW diet (Jennie Craig) and lost 50 lbs. That caused wrinkles all over but not the fine-line kind, rather the lots of flabby crease kind. I thought that with time my skin would shrink-up, but it never did. 60 is too old for skin shrinkage. But at 39 it should shrink up very well I think. Hopefully what you're seeing is just the first stage of skin shrinkage. I don't know what might improve the elasticity of skin.

I've noticed that different skins age differently. Thin skin seems to wrinkle quickly, thick skin slowly or not at all. I was amazed when I visited the Nubian area above the Aswan Dam in Egypt. The Nubians seem not to age at all. No wrinkles, no drooping chin skin of face wrinkles, no receeding hair lines nor hair thinning, nothing but slower movement and perhaps some slight stooping shows their age. Of course they are in very hot sun all the time. It made me wonder if all signs of age are genetic.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I've lost about 40, (male,65) and have accumulated a bunch of wrinkles on lower stomach, inside of thighs. Did research on MDA on this, found a couple of posts that indicated that there is still residual fat sitting there, with the implied recommendation that just keep on keeping on and it will eventually mitigate. That was a month or so ago and I think my stomach area is shaping up, legs not so good. I know its not face/hands, but maybe the same will apply.
              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

that crepey skin is pretty creepy. But seriously, I've found moisturizing to be crucial. No soap, wash with plain water and maybe a splash of lemon juice, then while your skin is still damp, moisturize like mad. I use coconut oil from neck down, and avocado from neck up (coconut causes blackheads, also can aggravate excema, although in lots of people it helps, go figure).

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                  Dee, just wondering - do you eat dairy?
                  Not often. I'm technically allergic to dairy- it gives me hives, stomach pain, migraine. However I can tolerate small amounts of cheese so I do have some of that occasionally, but I never eat yogurt, milk, sour cream, etc. Just cheese, and probably butter occasionally since it's possible restaurants are cooking with it.

Comment

[QUOTE=noodletoy;1100004]

what you're describing sounds like "crepey" skin? found this on the web:

That is very similar to what is happening to my skin, yes.

Comment

Ok, I think a picture would help. When I started PB in November, I had a smile line on either side of my mouth, and mild crows feet at the corner of my eyes, but my skin was otherwise smooth. Since starting PB, I have these fine lines all over my face (and hands) like so. I use the same moisturizer as always, same cleansing process as always. The changes seem too quick and dramatic to simply be age. I didn't age that much in 3 months, I wouldn't have thought?

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Virgin coconut oil! Eat it and use it on your face - amazing stuff. I have been moisturing with it at night before I go to bed (because I don't want to smell like a coconut at work ) and already notice a difference, especially in the crepey area under my eyes. Worth a shot?

Comment

The reason why so many low carb people complain about saggy skin after losing weight is that so many of them are more successful losing weight than through conventional dieting. It makes people coming off failed low-fat diets feel better thinking that even though they are fatter than ever, at least they have saved themselves from the dreaded loose skin and crinkles.

I just found an old picture of myself and my daughter from almost 10 years ago. I can't believe the double chin I had in that picture. It seemed to take up the entire lower half of my face. So I have a few crinkles under my jawline now. I look older in some ways, but I am older. But I have a jawline!

Comment

[QUOTE=EagleRiverDee;1101031]Ok, I think a picture would help. When I started PB in November, I had a smile line on either side of my mouth, and mild crows feet at the corner of my eyes, but my skin was otherwise smooth. Since starting PB, I have these fine lines all over my face (and hands) like so. I use the same moisturizer as always, same cleansing process as always. The changes seem too quick and dramatic to simply be age. I didn't age that much in 3 months, I wouldn't have thought?

[/

I'm 40 and if I didn't know better i would think it was my hand and face. Funny thing is, I think we look great. I don't use soap, and just use water to rinse off my face unless I really made myself up..then, I use a face wipe. I only use coconut oil for moisturizer and that is as needed. I do use a good quality sunscreen Elta MD SPF 45. I tried not using it last summer, and it was a mistake. I'm noticing the sunspots on my face are getting lighter, very exciting!
                            Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                            Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Okay here's my 2 cents worth. I started eating better 3 years ago. Lower carb and no dyes and perservatives if I could help it. Lost weight. 170 down to 140. Skin started looking like and old lady...I am 50. At any rate. Felt better so decided to stick with the clean eating. Then in July of last year went primal. Skin saggy and wrinkly all over. (Sorry for the visual.) Quit using soap. I use an unscented Dove equivalent on the body, low sulfate shampoo and only almond oil on my face. I live in FL, have most of my life. I have noticed a miraculous change. My skin looks awesome and I DO NOT burn. I spent 2 hours out in the sun a couple of weeks ago, at the grill cooking 3 pounds of bacon. I barely browned up. No sunscreen etc.
                              Your skin is very instrumental in the desposition of toxins from your body as you lose weight. Your liver, kidneys and skin are dealing with the toxins that go along with that. Bottom line be kind to yourself and your skin. Try adding some antioxident supplements to your diet. Antioxidents are the garbagemen of the supplement world. I would stick with the tried and true not the new fangled. Give it time. I have had cracked skin on my heels since I was in my early 30's. I always thought it was because of going barefoot. Not so. It was apparently because of inflamation. Who knew! My heels look better now at 50 than they have in years and I rarely use any sort of moisturizer on them.

Comment

Maybe it's a combo of sagging skin from weight loss + body dumping toxins through the skin. I do take antioxidants daily.

Thanks for the add'l feedback. I'm hoping things firm up again. I added a good hand moisturizer so at least my hands don't look like parchment paper any more. Still looking for a solution for all the fine lines on my face. I'll try the almond oil and coconut oil as facial moisturizers as suggested and see if that helps. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X