Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
    Have you checked your DHEA levels lately? Low DHEA is associated with wrinkly skin. Supplementation might help but it's something that has to be carefully monitored as it could cause hormonal imbalances.
    I would have to say no- I don't think I've ever had my DHEA levels checked. I'll mention it to my doc next time I'm in. Might be a good time for some comprehensive bloodwork anyway.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I'm glad OP asked this. I'm in my early thirties and I have crow's feet that were not present 6 months ago that seem to deepen by the day. I did not lose a bunch of weight, maybe just some body fat. I started a retinol cream about 5 months ago, and that's when the wrinkles started. I stopped after one month, and things just seem to be getting worse. I use a 60% glyco-lactic acid peel 2x/month, almond oil massage 2x/week, and powdered topical vitamin C daily, with no results. My macros are around 50/30/20, so I don't think it's a lack of fat or carbs.

Sorry to hijack, but someone please tell me that Botox is NOT all there is left!
      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Well, I say my piece in the other thread (about knowing two Paleo people who are haggard, oops, said it again!) Personally I don't think it's weight loss. I gained weight and it didn't lessen the wrinkles on my face!
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
          I'm glad OP asked this. I'm in my early thirties and I have crow's feet that were not present 6 months ago that seem to deepen by the day. I did not lose a bunch of weight, maybe just some body fat. I started a retinol cream about 5 months ago, and that's when the wrinkles started. I stopped after one month, and things just seem to be getting worse. I use a 60% glyco-lactic acid peel 2x/month, almond oil massage 2x/week, and powdered topical vitamin C daily, with no results. My macros are around 50/30/20, so I don't think it's a lack of fat or carbs.

Sorry to hijack, but someone please tell me that Botox is NOT all there is left!
          I'm very skeptical of those creams... google "retinol cream more wrinkles" (or something to that effect) and I think you'll find a bunch of people whose skin it it made worse.

What's your skin type? I think that's a really important factor to consider when starting any of these treatments.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

You know, Mark's wife gets chemical peels. I think maybe it just needs to be done at some age.

I'm pretty wrinkly now, too. I think it's Satan because I seriously cannot feel the wrinkles with my fingers. I swear my skin feels soft, smooth and firm. But one look in the mirror and it's anything but soft, smooth and firm.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My wrinkles, also, cannot be felt with the hand. These aren't wrinkles forming where my face moves such as my brow, corners of eyes, or smile lines. These are fine lines forming all over my face such as the cheeks. I have no problem aging gracefully, but I'm stunned at how wrinkled my face looks in just a couple short months. I use no makeup (but maybe it's time I started, haha) and just a daily moisturizer (Oil of Olay with SPF 15). I get little sun because I live in Alaska.

Comment

Low carb dieting causes accelerated aging. It increases cortisol and is highly catabolic.

You should read the articles on Ray Peat's site on tissues and aging; he explsins what nutrition has to do with it. In particular, he thinks carbon dioxide such as from sugar is protective and PUFAs (nuts, salmon, green vegetables) are bad.

You might track your morning temperature. If it is below 98, you are probably hypothyroid.

Retinoids and copper peptides are good to use to help build collagen. 1st generation copper peptides (ghk-cu) have been shown in studies to work faster than retinoids, and have fewer side effects, but they have some side effects ("copper peptide uglies") that occur with overuse.

Chemical peels are overly harsh and damage the skin. Instead of using acids, scrub your face a few times a week with a Clairisonic or use a microdermabrasion tool once a month. The PMD is getting a lot of good reviews on you tube.

I know about all of this because paleo/primal ruined my skin.

Comment

I can already guarantee I'm hypothyroid, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos several years ago and take daily thyroid medication.

I would not classify myself as "low carb". I would say I'm definitely lower carb than the SAD, but I make a point each day to eat plenty of vegetables, I often have 1 (or more, ahem) glasses of wine, and I eat fruit once or twice a week. I also don't shun potatoes or rice the way some folks here do. I'm seeing the weight loss results I'm wanting and don't see a need to go more extreme. My carb intake is cyclical, just based on my body's cravings. Some days I don't crave carbs and I will eat VLC. Other days I do crave carbs, and I eat them. Since most of my weight loss whooshes occur after a heavy carb day, it seems to be working. Not sure why, I've never studied carb-cycling although I've seen enough posts to know that some people have turned it into a bit of a science. I'm just doing what comes natural.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                    My wrinkles, also, cannot be felt with the hand. These aren't wrinkles forming where my face moves such as my brow, corners of eyes, or smile lines. These are fine lines forming all over my face such as the cheeks. I have no problem aging gracefully, but I'm stunned at how wrinkled my face looks in just a couple short months. I use no makeup (but maybe it's time I started, haha) and just a daily moisturizer (Oil of Olay with SPF 15). I get little sun because I live in Alaska.
                    That's the same kind of wrinkles I have. I can't believe how quickly it happened, too. I used to laugh at my little sister for all her fine lines and now I'm much worse. I think it's just age.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                      I'm very skeptical of those creams... google "retinol cream more wrinkles" (or something to that effect) and I think you'll find a bunch of people whose skin it it made worse.

What's your skin type? I think that's a really important factor to consider when starting any of these treatments.
                      I'm a ginger, so there's that...

Very sensitive, prone to hormonal breakouts, I can't even use sunscreen due to metal allergies! It only took a couple of weeks to see that retinol was a no-go. I ended up tossing the eye cream out, as I didn't want to be responsible for ugging any of my beautiful friends up.
                      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I think it's just age.
                        LOL, that is so depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                          Low carb dieting causes accelerated aging. It increases cortisol and is highly catabolic.

You should read the articles on Ray Peat's site on tissues and aging; he explsins what nutrition has to do with it. In particular, he thinks carbon dioxide such as from sugar is protective and PUFAs (nuts, salmon, green vegetables) are bad.

You might track your morning temperature. If it is below 98, you are probably hypothyroid.

Retinoids and copper peptides are good to use to help build collagen. 1st generation copper peptides (ghk-cu) have been shown in studies to work faster than retinoids, and have fewer side effects, but they have some side effects ("copper peptide uglies") that occur with overuse.

Chemical peels are overly harsh and damage the skin. Instead of using acids, scrub your face a few times a week with a Clairisonic or use a microdermabrasion tool once a month. The PMD is getting a lot of good reviews on you tube.

I know about all of this because paleo/primal ruined my skin.
                          I think you're on to something about low carb diets and general wrinkly-ness.

I have to say though, I used my 60% glyco-lac peel the other day, leaving it on a little longer than usual, then followed up with a gentle almond oil massage. The next day, used Lush's Ayesha fresh mask... and my skin looks airbrushed today. A little mild flaking from the peel, but if my ginger-ass can tolerate chemical peels, virtually anyone can. You just need to do your research to find the right type of acid for your skin. Even a simple yogurt or mashed avocado mask can be too acidic. Also, microderm can be very aggravating on sensitive skin and should be used as sparingly as a chemical peel.
                          The Clarisonic brush is thoroughly unimpressive and very pricey. I had a Nutrisonic brush before the battery stopped charging and that thing was totally tits. It literally wiggled impacted sebum and dead cells right out of my pores in little black threads! My skin felt so healthy and fresh, I stopped using day creams. Save yourself $100 and get a Nutrisonic if you can find it.

Comment

everything they said^
                            http://www.cantneverdidanything.net/

Comment

Do you use soap on your face? It's one thing I shun - why soap out the natural oils only to have to put artificial ones back as moisturiser?

Also, you sound fairly low carb. I eat potatoes or beets or rice or some carb source with almost most meals. I'm 60 and have hardly a line or wrinkle. Some did start appearing after about 1 year VLC - I was down to under 140 lbs which at 6 foot tall is too slight. Adding quite a bit of carb back has stabilised weight at 144 lbs and wrinkles have gone again. And eating a LOT of natural lard, beef fat, olive oil, butter, etc I'm sure helps.

But I think soap is perhaps the worst thing - haven't had any on my face for about 30 years.

Comment

I ditched coffee. Cut back on meat (added more fruit), felt like crap, reinstated massive protein intake (cut the excess fruit). Looking young again! It was the coffee. Most likely.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X