Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horrible breath since started Paleo/Primal

Hi there,
    since I started to take control of my health, I realised my breath became horrible in every sense of the word! Even while not in ketosis.
    does anybody have any experience and advice?

Other than dental hygiene, which I'm sure you're already doing, this is what I thought of:
    If you have acid reflux, it will affect your breath. When I had acid reflux, someone told me my breath was 'sour' and that they could smell it from several feet away. (Embarrassing!)
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

For me, chewing on parsley is the only thing that actually works for a while.

Comment

Are you eating too much protein, not enough fat/healthy carbs? I seem to recall bad breath is an effect of too much protein.
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Make sure that you don't have Tonsilloliths

These things smell worse than anything you can imagine.

If you do have them I highly recommend a tonsilectomy
          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Gargle with baking soda and water now and then. Drink baking soda and water a while after a meal at least once a day.

Comment

Agreed! I had this when I was in my very early teens (for about 1 yr), got my tonsils out, no problems since. They are absolutely awful! Have you had repeated bouts of tonsillitis? If so, this could very well be the cause.
              Last edited by Metric; 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I also found that my primal diet was giving me horrible breath. It wasn't something I'd ever had a problem with. For the last couple of months I drink maybe a quart of kombucha/week and several fermented dill pickles. I also make a point to have potatoes 2x a week or so. Yogurt had always been a part of my diet. It seems to be getting better. I think it's a gut flora issue and something smelly started growing as I cut the crap out of my diet.
                50yo, 5'3"
                SW-195
                CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Maybe you are sick?
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I have also noticed this. I am going through 6 to 8 pieces of gum per day on top of brushing 4 times per day. Never had this problem before.

Comment

Is this really common? I haven't noticed it yet but I've only been primal for a couple months.

Comment

I've been following PB for 9 months, no issues here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                          Make sure that you don't have Tonsilloliths

These things smell worse than anything you can imagine.

If you do have them I highly recommend a tonsilectomy
                          oh man are you right on that one, luckily i've not had them for quite a while, and definitely not on paleo.
                          Wish i knew what cured them, for curiosities sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
                            oh man are you right on that one, luckily i've not had them for quite a while, and definitely not on paleo.
                            Wish i knew what cured them, for curiosities sake.
                            The only worthwile cure is a tonsilectomy. Those things are absolutely horrid. If you are prone to them I can't recommend a tonsilectomy more. I had them for a few months 15 years ago after years of chronic tonsilitis. I scheduled a tonsilectomy ASAP - top 5 best things I have ever done; never happened again. An added bonus is that I've only had one sore throat in the past 15 years (used to have really painful sore throats many times a year).
                            ad astra per aspera

Comment

Are you in ketosis? That's a retched horrid breath. From large amounts of protein, lowered carbs and detoxing the previous crap. Parsley works somewhat, but nothing works better for me than gargling, rinsing and foaming with regular drugstore variety hydrogen peroxide. Don't swallow it. It kills the bacteria of keto breath and any other little bugs your mouth may have. I usually brush my teeth with it once a week, rinse, let it sit in my mouth and foam up for awhile. If it foams, there is infection or bacteria its killing off. It's a good thing. And then finish with a good long throat gargle, spit and water rinse. Fabulous stuff. Cures my ear infections as well. I'm a regular reader of Earth Clinics site and always try a natural remedy first before letting a doc write me a prescription for more poison.

Comment

Working...
                              X