Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makro/Costco

Hi all,

I am looking to try and save a bit of money on my grocery shopping (especially on meat!).

Am I right in thinking that you have to be self-employed or be purchasing on behalf of a business in order to get an account at Makro and Costco?

I do buy value brands at the supermarket, but can't help but think I would get better quality elsewhere.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

You can purchase a membership at Costco as a private individual.

Comment

Really? Didn't know that! Will look into it, thank you

EDIT: Just looked and will have to check about my occupation, as it looks like only people from certain occupations are accepted.
      Last edited by Lilith; 02-05-2013, 05:00 AM.
      Lilith

Comment

Um, no. Your occupation doesn't have anything to do with membership. Pay a yearly fee and you're a member. It's not a country club.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Lillth is from the UK. Maybe it's different there?

Comment

It is different in the UK, I could join as I'm self employed, and certain occupations qualify, but I'm not sure I'd be able to buy enough bulk in one go to save much money.
            You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

It's like $50/year for a Costco membership and I find it to be worth it's weight in gold!
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

That bites. The only difference in the U.S., besides the annual fee, is that business memberships bypass sales tax if they're purchasing for their business for resale.

But I do find it worth it. I don't even live in a city with a Costco warehouse anymore, but what my membership saves me in the online purchase of coffee alone each year has made it worth it to keep it up.

Not sure how it works in the UK, but here you can ask to walk around and see the products to see if a membership will be worth it.
                Last edited by JoanieL; 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I have a Macro membership, to be honest I dont find it that usefull on primal, I dont trust their meat, the vegies arnt that great quality-wise & I find I hardly ever shop there anymore (& when I do its generally not for food... The restaurant charcoal is great for BBQ's )

Do you have a Lidl near you? for fruit & veg they are much better, both price & quality. Most of there meat looks good if your not aiming for pastured.
                  Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

The Costco's in the US have great quality meat, it's one of the things I like about them. That sucks that they limit membership in the UK.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I am in the same boat as DinoHunter, but still keep my membership because it is where we get paper towels, wife-feed (she eats garbage), cat food, trash bags and other such house things. And avocados usually.
                      "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

My local BJ's - a whole sale membership club kind of similar, but nor as nice as Costco offers free 3 mo. trial membership once in a while. I get it and stock up on stuff right before it expires. Then they run the same offer few months later and I get it again. IMO $50 fee is just too much for the right to spend your money somewhere.

Comment

I won't shop anywhere that makes me have to pay to shop there. My boyfriend has a Costco membership and we can never get out of there without spending $200 on crap we really didn't need. It's definitely a money suck. Even though our item-by-item purchases at other stores may be more expensive, not being tempted by so much other stuff definitely helps us save money.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Yes we have a Lidl nearby and find their vegetables are good value so we will have to look at their meat too
                            Lilith

Comment

I won't shop anywhere that makes me have to pay to shop there.
                              everywhere that charges sales tax?
                              "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Working...
                              X