Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to relieve stress during winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meditation has changed my life.

Check out Meditation | Mindfulness | Guided Meditation | Stress Management | Andy Puddicombe | Headspace

It's cheap and easy to follow and you get a different guided meditation every day

Comment

I went to grad school in Amherst, MA. Spent my first winter avoiding going outside - worked in a basement lab, went to the gym (in my building)... The only time I got outside was to walk to classes really It sucked.

The next winter I figured I'd better embrace winter. I got some cheap x cntry skis at Goodwill, found a friend with an extra pair of snowshoes, played broomball on the local pond... All in all I just got out. Join a local hiking club and find people who like to spend time outside in the winter - it isn't really so bad And lots of people who do this stuff have extra gear around because they turn into gear junkies (I wouldn't know anything about this...) - so even if you don't have the right gear you don't need to go and buy it on your own.

Another option is meetup.com. When I first moved to UPSNY I joined a hiking group and it was a great way to guarantee I got myself out the door and into the mountains. Lots of the activities I like my work/school friends dont' do - so I end up going alone through other organizations - meetup, ADK, the local swing dancing groups, etc.

Anyway, good luck, the winter doldrums aren't fun

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
        Another option is meetup.com. When I first moved to UPSNY I joined a hiking group and it was a great way to guarantee I got myself out the door and into the mountains. Lots of the activities I like my work/school friends dont' do - so I end up going alone through other organizations - meetup, ADK, the local swing dancing groups, etc.
        I second Meetup. I discovered it this past summer and joined a couple outdoors groups and I've gotten out a LOT more and had a lot of fun that way. I even did a couple overnight backpacking trips last year with an all-ladies hiking group and that was a lot of fun and something I hadn't done in years.
        High Weight: 225
        Weight at start of Primal: 189
        Current Weight: 174
        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I used to just do stuff with my girlfriend (light cardio indoor excercise) and just generally socialize when the howling ice storms made the outdoors suicidal.

Your problem is not weather related. You need a good social connection.
          Last edited by Legbiter; 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X