Dr. Oz is not the Devil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Oz is not the Devil?

Free the Animal has a post about an article on Dr. Oz that puts him in an entirely different light than most of us consider. Phigment and I were just talking about what a whacko he is and I have to say this post made me reconsider my words. Not entirely mind you but who knows...in a world where Dr. Oz is not the devil what else is possible??

Free The Animal
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

of course he's not a bad guy

his nutritional advice is still cringe-worth for those who believe differently than he does
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

He is exceptionally intelligent and an excellent surgeon, however, I've found that over the years, his advice has gone from practical to downright sensationalist.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

He's really just so all over the board with stuff I have no idea what he is or what he stands for. He seems to acknowledge that people are in general over medicated which actually puts him heads and shoulders over 90% of medical practitioners. I'll admit I think I've only seen like one of his shows. i only know of him second (or would that be third?) hand.

Comment

To be fair i never watch him. Even commercials of him make me cringe. And because he is all over the place I find it hard to take him seriously. The post and article did give me a different view however, and makes him a bit more palatable. Like him or not he is the go to health guru at the moment so he is to be taken seriously as his views inform our society as a whole.
          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

He has become an infomercial for whichever new thing is on the market - no matter if its contrary to something he's said in the past.

He sells the latest snake oil...
            "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

I love to mention his name to my oersonal trainer just to get him on rants. It is so fun :-P until the workout starts :'(.

Comment

me too.ound that over the years, his advice has gone from practical to downright sensationalist.thank you

Comment

He's infotainment, but not the devil.

Dr. Phil is the devil. I've heard a rumor that the only way to get rid of him is to cut off his head and bury it on a separate continent from his body.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I've never seen any of his stuff, but I am aware he did one on tea for weight loss. This provoked people who knew I was also into tea for my own suggestions.

(As an aside, it's the T in "Treadmill")

M.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      Dr. Phil is the devil. I've heard a rumor that the only way to get rid of him is to cut off his head and bury it on a separate continent from his body.
                      No, no, no...you're thinking of his "agent", Bebe...
                      Frasier_0011.jpg

Comment

Oz is great. He's entertaining but also a hell of a lot smarter than he makes out. He gives a lot of people platforms, yes, even sensationalists and quacks ( and you can put Taubes in this category). But ultimatly, the amount of guests and view points that get aired on his show present the opportunity to set many people down a healthier path.
                        It's also actually kind of funny how some people here get so outraged by him.
                        Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 02-03-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

From the article:

Oz doesn’t follow any of the miracle cures or fad diets that he trots out so regularly for his audience. He eats like a Paleolithic hunter-gatherer and exercises daily.

He WHAT?!? So he's following some form of Paleo, and yet he's not pushing it on his show? Nor has he recommended Paleo to Oprah (or he did and she refused). Admittedly, Oz has invited some low-carb speakers like William Davis. But Oz hasn't gone full bore Paleo on his audience, and that's a shame.

I suspect it's because there is little sponsorship to be had in Paleo/Primal. You can't advertise for local farmers' markets on national TV.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Dr Oz sells TV and the only way he has found to do that is to present each trend as if it is the way to go, even if it contradicts what he said last month.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Yep, you're not going to get and keep an audience telling people just to eat natural foods. He needs material to run a show people will watch and sponsors will pay for.
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Working...
                              X