No announcement yet.

Favorite Kitchen Tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I could only have one knife it would be my really nice cleaver.
    I got a couple medium-quality santokus to keep up at my BF's house, and they scare me.

Pig-shaped wooden cutting board, made by my grandfather, for my grandmother. It's older than I am!

Cuisinart Griddler Junior. Essential for grilling indoors- I LOVE it. Perfect. Need to buy a second one to take up to BF's house (850 miles away). I use it several times a week.

Big and small enameled cast iron Dutch/French ovens. I'm lucky- the big one is a Le Creuset. (Piece of advice- just splurge while you're young and enjoy nice things your whole life instead of waiting till you're in your 50's!)

I just got a NICE roaster with a V-shaped rack. LOVE it. Leg of lamb turned out perfect!

I've never had a food processor. We "needed" one to make marinade for chipotle/mango ribs. I'm not convinced I couldn't have lived without it, but it speeds things up!

Wooden cooking tools and chopsticks.

A "real" wok, heavy aluminum, thickly seasoned.

The expensive OXO corkscrew!

Stainless steel measuring cups and spoons.

Charbroil Patio Bistro Electric Grill. Okay- it's outside, but I cook on it all the time when the weather is nice. Propane grills always failed me at the worst times. With electric- plug it in, turn it on- it just works. In conjunction with that- digital remote meat thermometer! I _love_ pork tenderloin on the grill. This grill is tiny, but holds a lot, is easy to clean, works great. I'd rather be outside, kicked back at my water garden with a glass of wine, grilling elk burgers, than indoors cooking. Which reminds me- an enamel vegetable grilling basket!

Comment

Cast iron skillets - 3
      Cast iron dutch oven
      stick blender
      Vitronoix 12" Chefs Knife w Rosewood handle - softer steel that sharpens well and holds an edge
      Industrial electric diamond blade knife sharpener

Comment

These lists are great!

I've been on the fence about a mandoline. I was wondering - you know the blade that comes with a food processor that slices veggies? Is that a good replacement for a mandoline, or do those of you who use mandolines find the adjustability of the slices make the mandoline better?
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

A paint scraper, used for cleaning the cast iron skillet ,really do use it.
          Raise grass fed bison all natural. trying to gage this comunity to see if their is any intrest?

Comment

I love my range. I grew up with an electric range and was actually scared of my first gas range when I moved to a tiny apartment when I was 20. I was always told how much better gas is for cooking, but never knew how true it was until I used one! Now it is a must-have in any home I live in! I'll never go back to electric!

I use my crockpot at least a couple of times a month during the cool months, and a couple of times during the warm months. I have two but only ever use the small one because it's just two of us in the apartment.

I also have one of these and it is absolutely worth its weight in gold!

My favorite purchases ever are my Kitchenaid Mixer (and ice cream attachment!), Ninja hand-chopper, and Ninja Blender (with a single-serve cup, a large pitcher, and a small pitcher). I use all of these weekly... except for the ice cream attachment. That's reserved for special events.

My next purchase will be attachments for my mixer, like the meat-grinder! I also desperately want a good mandolin.
            >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
            >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
            >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Oh speaking or ranges....we have a blusstar open burner....OH YEA!
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Tongs.
                Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

Originally posted by PBNewby View Post
                  Tongs.
                  +1

Plus a wooden spoon, small knife and a big knife. Bought a small food processor the other day which is such a time saver. Veg for the entire day gets done in about 3 minutes. I also have a le creuset casserole pot and a large le creuset frying pan which I absolutely love, managed to get it half price! All I need now is a roasting tray, but the casserole pot works very well.

Comment

I don't know how I survived in my kitchen without a quality chef's knife. I have a small hand, so I bought a 6inch blade which is more than enough for me. It's Henkle's brand, and it's the best thing I have ever invested in. Seriously, these are some of the best blades on the market. Other than that, I have a particularly flexible off brand spatula. It's the only thing I can flip eggs with. Would die without it. I always try to use a different one, give up and go frantically searching for THAT one before the egg gets too done. Oh, and cast iron skillets. Can't beat em'....
                    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

There is a wide range of kitchen tools but some tools without which I can't imagine cooking like knife, mixer, kitchen cabinet cleaner etc.
                      I am also a fan of electronic kitchen gadgets.
                      Last edited by nancygof; 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Here is the list. I must need these kitchen tools in my kitchen.
                        1. All sizes and meshes of strainers
                        2. Panini/griddle press
                        3. Stainless steel mixing bowls with lids for leftovers
                        4. A good knife, tongs and soup ladle
                        5. Multiple cutting boards

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          These lists are great!

I've been on the fence about a mandoline. I was wondering - you know the blade that comes with a food processor that slices veggies? Is that a good replacement for a mandoline, or do those of you who use mandolines find the adjustability of the slices make the mandoline better?
                          The mandolin works better. Since I started slicing my cabbage with a mandolin my sauerkraut has gotten a lot tastier. And the 1/8 inch setting produces a tastier kraut than even one setting higher, so with things like sauerkraut at least, that versatility is crucial.

Only negative with the mandolin is how dangerous it is. I cut my hand pretty bad once before I wised up and got a pair of those mandolin gloves.
                          My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

Originally posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
                            The mandolin works better. Since I started slicing my cabbage with a mandolin my sauerkraut has gotten a lot tastier. And the 1/8 inch setting produces a tastier kraut than even one setting higher, so with things like sauerkraut at least, that versatility is crucial.

Only negative with the mandolin is how dangerous it is. I cut my hand pretty bad once before I wised up and got a pair of those mandolin gloves.
                            Thanks! So many kitchen toys; so little time.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I have lots kitchen tools and my favorite is chopstick. Most non-Asian cooks aren't aware that chopsticks are more than just an eating utensil. They also make great cooking tools. In fact, there are special cooking chopsticks that are a little longer and sometimes joined at the end with a string for just that purpose.

Comment

Some of the kitchenware additions I find most useful are having multiple sets of things, instead of just one. For example, I have 2 sets of pots and pans, 3 apple slicers, multiple cheap aluminum colanders, multiple pairs of kitchen shears. I often cook a lot of stuff at once, and I really hate running out of pans or having to stop and wash things.

As for individual useful items, some of my favorites are:

* Apple peeler. Seemed kind of gimmicky when I bought it, but it peels apples crazy fast and with minimal effort. You stick an apple on a spike and turn a handle, which turns the spike. This pushes the apple gentle against a blade which cuts the peel off in one continuous spiral. Combine it with an apple corer/slicer, and you can have enough peeled, sliced apples for a pie in 5 minutes.

* "Come Apart" kitchen shears. They look like traditional poultry shears, but the two halves come apart and you can put them in the dishwasher so you don't have germs still hiding between the blades after you wash them. (What can I say? Grandma taught college biology and I was raised germophobic.)

* A quality food processor. It doesn't have to do a lot of fancy things or have multiple attachments, just a really good motor and be easy to use.

* Some big stock pots

* Stove with a "power burner" that accomodates big stock pots

* Egg wedger

Comment

Working...
                                X