$5 Pig Head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5 Pig Head

I've decided to jump into the blogosphere with my take on traditional recipes with a primal/paleo slant.

Check out the $5 pig head I recently purchased and chicken kalamunggay
    kitoi's kitchen
    Last edited by kitoi; 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM.
    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

I did something like that. Ate for 3 weeks on a $5 head.

The Wilderness Childe: Pig Head: Part One

Comment

Your pics and descriptions are terrific.

Did you do anything special with the ears? I've been thinking of trying pig ears and wonder if you like them or if they're weird in any way.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks Joanie!

Ears are great! Mmmmm....the chewy cartilage and crispy skin. I removed them from the head and roasted longer to get them extra crispy.

Comment

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying them.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Pig cheeks, yummmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
              Pig cheeks, yummmmm...
              Ahh, you beat me to it.

I've been a cheek eater/lover since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
              We'd BBQ a whole pig and there I'd be begging for some cheek meat ()... and crunchy skin of course... while the rest of the bunch was back there working on the body. Silly peoples.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

That's pretty badass. I wish I could do a pig's head. I think I would have to look for a new home if I brought one home.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  Ahh, you beat me to it.

I've been a cheek eater/lover since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
                  We'd BBQ a whole pig and there I'd be begging for some cheek meat ()... and crunchy skin of course... while the rest of the bunch was back there working on the body. Silly peoples.
                  Aunt and uncle had a pig roast last summer, coincidental to the announcement that they were about to become grandparents, and it was me and the pig roast cooks angling for those cheeks... I mean, they're like butter...

Comment

Yay! I will remember this thread so that I may try one of those recipes when I buy pork at the farm next month
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

My wife wanted nothing to do with that head, she didn't want it in the fridge. I had thaw it in an ice chest outside and wait till she was gone to butcher it.

The cheeks were damn good!

Comment

I finally accessed your blog, outside of work....

How funny! I am planning on picking up a bunch of pork from them at the farm soon
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Very nice kitoi. Great looking food. Now I am wondering if I could get my wife to eat it. Good to see you around still

Comment

I've ordered a pig head from the local butchery, so... lol, now all I need is a camping stove. It was bad enough when I started coming home with bone marrow and deer livers... if I try to cook this thing in the kitchen, I don't my family would ever willingly use the pans again xD

Kitoi - I saw you couldn't get the brains out of the skull before you made a broth out of it. If you boiled the brain in the broth, how did that effect the final outcome? Did you have some sort of grey gooey jelly in the cranium cavity when you were done, or could you get it out by boiling?

Comment

Working...
                            X