Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    OP, I think I would start by saying, "You're sort of on the right track. Both Atkins and Primal advise eating a lower percentage of carbohydrates than the government and most doctors do."

After that, depending on how much more you want to tell them, you could talk about how Primal emphasizes grass fed beef and wholesomely raised animals and animal products as opposed to CAFO. Emphasizes organic as opposed to conventional. Teaches about fatty fish and organ meat. Advises against grains and legumes, etc. How Primal emphasizes the need for healthy fats. Then if you really want to get into it, talk about lifting, moving, sleeping, sunlight, and play.

Simplistically: We need healthy fats for our brains and for energy. We need protein for muscle. Veggies can supply a few nutrients we won't get from meat and fish. Some women need a bit more carbs and a little less fat to feel good. And for people who don't want to live a life without pizza (for eg.) - there's 80/20.

It's tough for people to understand sometimes. I had a neighbor who had made way too many mashed potatoes and wasn't sure if I "could" eat them when he brought some over to me. Sure, they grow out of the ground. But they were made with cream and butter (he's still seeing it as a diet). My tribe loves cream and butter - the potato is just a delivery system. I think I may have traumatized him for life.
    I understand the short comings of "Atkins". I'm just tired of it being so demonized. The man was a pioneer and we all owe him at least a little gratitude. I would just ask that people not make comments on things they know nothing about.

Comment

I am only going on what other people who have tried atkins have told me.
      But I see now that there is the original, and then a more modern version with garbage. I only know people who have tried it with the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
        I understand the short comings of "Atkins". I'm just tired of it being so demonized. The man was a pioneer and we all owe him at least a little gratitude.
        I absolutely agree. The man was vilified because he didn't push the high plant/low meat model. I haven't read it in a long time, but back in the day, 20 gms of carbs (induction for 30 days) isn't so different from trying to attain ketosis (some differences in the protein/fat ratios).

As a note, Atkins first started being read by mainstream before there were as many processed foods and CAFOs. I read recently that CAFO chicken started in the 1950s, but beef and pork didn't really get going 'til the 1970s. So, he didn't really have to address too much of the BigFood and Agra concerns.

Atkins the man is a whole different thing from the current Atkins the business.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
          Robert promoted the consumption of CAFO meat and artificial sweetneners in his books throughout the 80's and 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
            Robert promoted the consumption of CAFO meat and artificial sweetneners in his books throughout the 80's and 90's.
            Dr. Atkins promoted the consumption of meat. Sadly the the source was not emphasized. Thankfully we now know better. Why is it so hard for people to see the good in something and so easily point out the bad. If not for Atkins work this website might not even exist. He didn't quite get it but he was going in the right direction.

Comment

I agree completely with Whitebear. I struggled with weight all my life and ultimately got to my current healthy weight by eating the whole foods -- good fats, meats and veggies mostly -- that Atkins recommends. I know many people who have done the same. I'd have the occasional bar or low carb wrap but dropped those as I refined the plan and became more primal. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Atkins for my success, for his wisdom and for how he stood up (and was vilified) by the lowfat CW crazies for promoting saturated fat and protein as the core of one's diet.
              Starting Weight: 197.5
              Current Weight: 123
              Far healthier!

Comment

I think I might get the original book to read, I am quite curious now.
                I didn't realise there was a difference until today, and id like to know more

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                  "Promote" is an inaccurate term. For most people CAFO meats was all that was available or that they were familiar with in the chain groceries. You are right that grass-fed was not promoted but it is only recently understood and returned to, at least in the USA. While the plan always allowed for a limited amount of artificial sweeteners, that is a far cry from their being "promoted". The current company, which obviously works at promoting an expanded list of products, is quite another story.
                  Far healthier!

Comment

I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
                    +1
                    Yes, you can have low-carb products, but you don't have to. Not much different than PB's 80/20 thing.
                    The core of the plan is still based on whole foods. The products and the new frozen foods are marketing. Everyone tries to make money somehow and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like Mark sells his books and protein powder.
                    I am amazed at how people (not just here, people in general) rush to judgement based on hearsay.

Comment

"yeah, only more fucking badass and better researched."
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Pretty much what I say, too. And less strict, more nutrients, etc.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Ah, and the joy has been that I have maintained a 70+ pound loss for over 3 years and gotten healthier too.
                          Far healthier!

Comment

I say "no, not really" then explain what it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              Yup. Why should you have to explain yourself to them? If they really want to know, tell them, but if they're not interested, don't waste your time.

Comment

It's funny because I was reading about a bodybuilder diet today and it's pretty much basically the primal blueprint with a low-fat angle. Lots of meat, sweet potatoes before noon, as many veggies as you want and exercise your life away. But since nobody knows about bodybuilder diets, they're not going to say "wow, that sounds like a bodybuilder diet" to you. So many diets are all so similar. Just Eat Real Food is where they seem to converge.

Anyway, if anybody says something like that to me I tell them, no, it's not like Atkins because I eat all the carbohydrate I want. Just turns out I don't want that much. And when they start saying "oh too bad you can't have beer" I crack open a beer. It really bugs me when people try to mind my diet for me.

Nowadays I no longer mention anything to anyone but I do have one lingering person who makes my life miserable any time I see her just because I was dumb enough to mention my diet over a year ago. So never mention your diet to anybody and your life will be so much easier.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X