No announcement yet.

Ethnicity and Primal Eating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read through all 4 pages but have you all mentioned eugenics in this 10,000 year span? Lots of european emperors and oriental kings sent literally millions of viable mate-aged vigorous males either to their premature deaths, or just relocated them to different populations.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
      I haven't read through all 4 pages but have you all mentioned eugenics in this 10,000 year span? Lots of european emperors and oriental kings sent literally millions of viable mate-aged vigorous males either to their premature deaths, or just relocated them to different populations.
      Well eugenics is ostensibly aimed at promoting positive gene selection, hence the word which literally means "good gene." I doubt that these emperors did this with any long term goal in mind for the gene pool. But large scale death and relocation could have an effect on the gene pool, particularly relocation as the new inhabitants would immediately be fraternizing with their new neighbors. I could see relocation as a way to introduce new genes into a foreign population, although it would have been unintentional.
      Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
      Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
      Goal: 160

Comment

Well eugenics is ostensibly aimed at promoting positive gene selection, hence the word which literally means "good gene."
        right and Hillary Clinton wants Lasting Peace for the world...

lol yo the ruling class is defined by their duplicity; their words have different meanings.

anyway in the context that I mean, interpret "eugenics" as "politically motivated behavior that effects breeding demographics on a large scale as a matter of state policy."

I doubt that these emperors did this with any long term goal in mind for the gene pool.
        did you see Quest for Fire? It is not inconcievable to believe that even cave men had an awareness of genetic selection and the perpetuation of traits. Emperors were usually dumb front men like Obama and Bush whose job was to present a unified front to the disparate classes- behind their curtains though in the throne room are always priesthoods and temples and banks with their own, better social and human sciences, and they engineer policy. I would not be surprised if there were initiatives since the beginning of history to diminish the vigor of the subject populations. They only have to clean streets and cook meals and shit, any strength beyond that is a liability.

But large scale death and relocation could have an effect on the gene pool, particularly relocation as the new inhabitants would immediately be fraternizing with their new neighbors.
        in the best cases sure. Raping their new neighbors was probably more common.

I could see relocation as a way to introduce new genes into a foreign population, although it would have been unintentional.
        whether or not it was intentional, I'm arguing that 10,000 years is longer in a historical timeline than in a natural selection one, because conscious human decisions accelerate or interfere with natural processes.
        "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

I think your initial question has much merit. Like you pointed out, different populations have different levels of lactose tolerance. This is a real world indication of genetics at work.

Adding guidelines based on race makes sense if the science is there, for example: "Limited full-fat dairy could be included in a Primal eating pattern, but be aware that if you are non-Caucasian you may be more susceptible to lactose intolerance." Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That being said, I highly doubt that there would be a very measurable difference in the over-all health benefit from switching to a Primal diet. Any difference that you would likely see from switching would be mostly a function of what you are eating prior to going Primal.

If you are switching from Cheeto's and Red Bull to Grass-fed beef and coconut milk, you will be healthier regardless of your cultural/racial background.
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
            I think your initial question has much merit. Like you pointed out, different populations have different levels of lactose tolerance. This is a real world indication of genetics at work.

Adding guidelines based on race makes sense if the science is there, for example: "Limited full-fat dairy could be included in a Primal eating pattern, but be aware that if you are non-Caucasian you may be more susceptible to lactose intolerance." Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That being said, I highly doubt that there would be a very measurable difference in the over-all health benefit from switching to a Primal diet. Any difference that you would likely see from switching would be mostly a function of what you are eating prior to going Primal.

If you are switching from Cheeto's and Red Bull to Grass-fed beef and coconut milk, you will be healthier regardless of your cultural/racial background.
            True, but at least academically, I feel there must be different levels of optimal nutrition. If you follow the basic guidelines of primal nutrition, you should see results despite your ethnicity. But why not explore the possibility of optimal outcomes?

This makes me think of Weston Price when he was doing research in Australia. When he tasked some aboriginals with reclaiming their ancestral habits, their health saw a pretty rapid restoration. If they suffer from type 2 diabetes at a rate of 4x that of Caucasians and lack some of the gene frequencies for optimal insulin regulation, I see the switch as being more optimal. Poverty might play into those disease rates, but I can't see it being the only reason.
            Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
            Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
            Goal: 160

Comment

Originally posted by saturnfan View Post
              I'll grant you that those in poverty eat food that is lower in quality, but is the quality of that food so sever to cause such disparate rates in diabetes?
              It is pretty stark. I used to live in Coral Gables, which is extremely wealthy but borders a black ghetto. Close to the border there were two conventional (Publix and Winndixie) Supermarkets- one that served mostly whites and one that served mostly blacks. The black Supermarket was almost unshoppable in terms of getting healthy food.
              My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

Originally posted by saturnfan View Post
                True, but at least academically, I feel there must be different levels of optimal nutrition. If you follow the basic guidelines of primal nutrition, you should see results despite your ethnicity. But why not explore the possibility of optimal outcomes?
                Absolutely.

Part of what I find so interesting here is the way so many have branched out in their own direction to find out what is optimal for them. One of the best things about the whole Primal/Paleo philosophy in my opinion is the encouragement of self-experimentation. I started out very strict by the standards of many of the posters in this forum, and I am unlikely to stray too far. I am thinking of doing IF and keeping an 8hour window for feeding a-la Leangains however. (Something I couldn't even fathom while still eating SAD).
                "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Working...
                X