Fat-shaming may curb obesity, bioethicist says

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a dumb asshole.

He compares being fat to fucking smoking cigarettes. Sure, shaming can reduce cigarette smoking, because smoking is a simple on-off behavior under conscious control. Being fat is not something you can just "decide" not to be any more! Even people who are trying their damnedest to lose weight often fail miserably--and he wants to make them feel WORSE about themselves?

I repeat: fucking dumb fucking asshole.

EDIT: Which is not to mention that he provides no evidence that it would work, or even that it wouldn't be counter-productive! (Guess what? Being stressed about your appearance can make you fatter, dumbass!) Gaaahh!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

can you tell your wife to hug you for me?
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

So many overweight people in the world, from the massively obese to the mildly overweight (like 20 lbs or so) think of themselves as nothing, as unworthy of love, as unworthy of being healthier or better because the world tells us so, every single day.
        This made me cry a lot inside. I felt this way for YEARS.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          Shaming a street junkie to get help? That works, right? How about alcoholics? We can shame them into not drinking? How about the homeless?
          A lot of alcoholics and addicts will tell you that the shame they felt made them drink and do drugs all the more. Shame keeps a lot of mentally ill people on the streets.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            A lot of alcoholics and addicts will tell you that the shame they felt made them drink and do drugs all the more. Shame keeps a lot of mentally ill people on the streets.
            Totally. Plus, you know, just in general, what this society needs is NOT MORE SHAME AND GUILT.

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
            can you tell your wife to hug you for me?
            Were you talking to me? Cuz, yeah, sure.
            Last edited by Uncephalized; 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

How about shaming some cloistered white male Ivy League douche for not shaming at least 50% of the blame holders. I.e. the good folks at Big Food who put out shit disguised as healthy food.

Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine are the first two that come to mind. Weight Watchers products. Fit and Fruity (this is a 6 ounce container of yogurt with so much added sugar, that even though it's fat free, comes in at 160 calories). The whole Kellogg's light foods line. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Sugar/Fat free nondairy creamer. And tons of others that I can't recall because I rarely go down middle aisles of grocery stores anymore.

I was watching a video today on the benefits of water fasting and the speaker claimed that there are about 50,000 products on grocery store shelves and about 49,000 are not food.

And how about the government, willfully handing out bad advice on nutrition. We all look to "professionals" on occasion for answers. When those professionals have an agenda that is incongruent with the well being of those who look to them for guidance, they give bad advice. Let's shame them.

Monsanto - when you feed children your GMO foods, does that make you feel good?

Spectrum - when your products full of chemicals end up in the mouths of vegans trying to get healthy, does that make you feel good?

USDA, FDA, EPA - when you look around and realize you've been totally corrupted by special interests, does that make you feel good?

Prez Obama - when you signed into law that GMO foods can be sold without being labelled as such, did that make you feel good? Do you feed your kids that crap?

Now that's shaming that might do some good if put on a billboard.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

A campaign to shame people who are already depressed and desperate...this sounds like some kind of scam to boost funding for suicide crisis hotlines.

Comment

Maybe it's time to put a warning on certain processed food-products, like they do on the cigarett cases; "OVEREATING KILLS YOU SLOWLY!" or what about: "THIS FOOD MAKES YOU FAT!" And put on some worst case scenario pictures of morbidely obese persons as well, so everybody can see what may happen...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

or, you know, explain what those foods do to the body
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Hacking pieces off of fat people with a machete would curb obesity. It doesn't take a bioethicist to come up with a stupid way to curb obesity, even I can do it
                      "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

just please don't hack off my tits
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

lol

Comment

or, you know, explain what those foods do to the body
                          It doesen't matter what the foods do or not do to the body! The point is to SCARE people from eating them...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            It doesen't matter what the foods do or not do to the body! The point is to SCARE people from eating them...
                            so making them sad and ashamed didn't work, now we're on to fear?

'experts' have been scare mongering so long that people (me included) just shrug and say 'everything will kill you'
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

lol

Comment

so making them sad and ashamed didn't work, now we're on to fear?

'experts' have been scare mongering so long that people (me included) just shrug and say 'everything will kill you'
                              True, everything may kill you, but becoming morbidely fat is far worse than that...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

being fat is worse than death?
                                beautiful
                                yeah you are

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X