Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever do anything impulsive with the hope you might fail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
    True, true, I just wish that crafting my own fate could involve me having health insurance and a secure paycheck
    I know - but it is possible! I left a well paying job (that I hated) when I was 27, but the whole time I was in it I knew it wasn't for me so I saved up the money. That gave me a big cushion to float on when I did leave. I'm 31 now and am nowhere near well off (i'm a creative) but I'm free and that's priceless.

Anyway, what I've observed is that when people make more money they just buy more stuff (they don't need) so I think the standard of living probably evens out. I don't buy expensive things and I still have money to travel so happy days

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post

But, on the other hand, if you do know what you want and need, and do not go there anyway, that is another different set of problems!
    Yip!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

True, true, I just wish that crafting my own fate could involve me having health insurance and a secure paycheck
      OMG, Raspy, what we all wouldn't become or dare if we didn't have to worry about dependents and eating and stuff!
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

OMG, Raspy, what we all wouldn't become or dare if we didn't have to worry about dependents and eating and stuff!
        Lol - I actually don't know if that's true. SO many people I know just talk themselves out of happiness. And then they moan about how "lucky" I am - not realising that they could do it too but they're not prepared to make all the little sacrifices along the way... every day. It's not luck.

But I agree, it's get harder the older you get because you're caught in a much more complex web of connections and responsibilities. Still believe it's possible though!
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
          Lol - I actually don't know if that's true. SO many people I know just talk themselves out of happiness. And then they moan about how "lucky" I am - not realising that they could do it too but they're not prepared to make all the little sacrifices along the way... every day. It's not luck.

But I agree, it's get harder the older you get because you're caught in a much more complex web of connections and responsibilities. Still believe it's possible though!
          I do, too. I just have a disabled, special needs kid to watch over until the end of my days because she will NEVER be capable of running her own life or truly caring for herself. That makes the planning of major life changes somewhat more daunting.

But not truly impossible...
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I do, too. I just have a disabled, special needs kid to watch over until the end of my days because she will NEVER be capable of running her own life or truly caring for herself. That makes the planning of major life changes somewhat more daunting.

But not truly impossible...
            Wow, that's a lot of responsibility Crabby! Much respect to you, lady! I'm much more free in that I don't have children, but my husband gets very nervous and raises an eyebrow anytime I start talking about following my dreams. He is absolutely practical and very financially conservative. I, on the other hand, would be doing whatever crazy bullshit I wanted, if I were on my own, because the consequences would only affect me. I'm trying to work it out so that the crazy dream stuff can be worked on at the same time as the practical stuff.

Comment

Just curious, what would you all do for a living, if you didn't need to focus on how much money you made or health insurance?

Comment

I would still do what I do because I love it..I would just do it less and spend time learning to kayak, canoe, hike across America, create my own food supply, make my own clothes, shoes, be more self sufficient, and on and on and on
                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Just curious, what would you all do for a living, if you didn't need to focus on how much money you made or health insurance?
                  This would make a really good thread in itself We should start one!

- Ray Peat

Comment

This is something DH and I have talked a lot about. We are both highly creative (but not entrepreneurial), both have art degrees (he has an MFA and I have a BFA), and we also have a mortgage and child who must have medical care. We've chosen a more safe path mainly because of our son. DH goes to work as a teacher (it at least provides some time off if not much $) and DS and I live a little less conventionally, he's unschooled and I make art and do the household stuff.

All of us always have a bunch of projects going on, none of them focused really on making money but they keep us interested and engaged. DH is skilled at a lot of things but none of them earn enough money to live on, so we do them for ourselves and they enhance our lives rather than pay the mortgage.

One suggestion I would make if you think you'd like to pursue your creative interests, do everything you can not to take on more debt (student loans). It will seriously hinder your options.

I should add that for years we lived a lot less conventionally, we didn't really settle down until we had our son when I was 38.
                    Last edited by Urban Forager; 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM.
                    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      This is something DH and I have talked a lot about. We are both highly creative (but not entrepreneurial), both have art degrees (he has an MFA and I have a BFA), and we also have a mortgage and child who must have medical care. We've chosen a more safe path mainly because of our son. DH goes to work as a teacher (it at least provides some time off if not much $) and DS and I live a little less conventionally, he's unschooled and I make art and do the household stuff.

All of us always have a bunch of projects going on, none of them focused really on making money but they keep us interested and engaged. DH is skilled at a lot of things but none of them earn enough money to live on, so we do them for ourselves and they enhance our lives rather than pay the mortgage.

One suggestion I would make if you think you'd like to pursue your creative interests, do everything you can not to take on more debt (student loans). It will seriously hinder your options.

I should add that for years we lived a lot less conventionally, we didn't really settle down until we had our son when I was 38.
                      I already have $87,000 in student loan debt. I will have to leave the country eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        This would make a really good thread in itself We should start one!
                        I just did...

Comment

LOL! Let me know when, I will go with you Sadly my dept is higher than yours

I already have $87,000 in student loan debt. I will have to leave the country eventually.
                          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Aren't you not allowed to leave the country for unpaid taxes already? I am sure our (I also owe the feds money) debt will serve as legal reasons to confine us within these borders, if it is not already.
                            "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Working...
                            X