Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe knotts in shoulders and back, any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the input, what great responses!
    I'm definitely trying to get more bone broth into my diet, and I'm resolved to get some magnesium supplements and potassium laden foods.
    I'm going to look into a chiropractor, which may solve a root problem that I've had for years, I hope I can afford it!
    I practice yoga pretty regularly, but obviously not enough. Maybe I'll start focusing on more spinal balances.
    I'll keep up the work with the lacrosse ball, and will certainly be looking into getting a rumble roller, perhaps a used one will be more affordable.

All these tips are great, thanks again. I'll post if I find anything that gives relief.

Comment

Here's a quick update:
      I've now had my first two Chiropractic visits, and the xrays revealed that my neck is curving in the wrong direction, my right hip is 10 mm high, and my pelvis is twisted 16mm to the left. Sounds like we've nailed down the problem folks, I start a program on tuesday to fix it, thus far I've just had a bunch of neck and back cracks, I'm interested to see what he does to correct it all. I'll keep posting about the progress.

P.S. I've purchased some good looking magnesium supplements and scheduled a massage. I'll give the knots a double-whammy, first I'll treat the symptoms, then I'll treat the cause. Things are looking up already!

Comment

Tennis or lacrosse ball, book on Trigger Point therapy, or browse the web for your issue. Also, consider referred pain with trigger points, some refer, some don't.

Try this before splashing out cash on professionals, you can't really damage yourself with trigger point work as long as you keep away from arteries

Comment

I have had the issue issues for years. I'm tall and I take all my stress in the neck, upper back and shoulders. There were some mornings that I would wake up and literally could not move my head. There would be a golf-ball size knot sticking up just north of a shoulder blade -- it was brutal.

I have gone for Active Release Therapy with a very qualified massage therapist + used the services of a chiropractor + roll with a styrofoam roller BUT by far, the best treatment for me has been this: The Water Pillow. I have been using mine for about 3 years now and my neck and back problems have virtually disappeared. I love my pillow so much that I drain it and take it with me if I'm away for extended periods of time in a hotel etc. I've recommended this pillow to many friends who also suffer from stiff/sore necks. The link is below: they are not expensive and it's worth giving a try.

Chiroflow - Filling Instructions

/Lu
          ----------------------------------------
          F, 48, 5'10"
          Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
          Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Thanks Louisa, I'll definitely take a look into it!

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
              There's a root cause - and it's often postural.

In my case the tense shoulders are caused by a slight curve in my lower spine - this has a knock on effect up the spine.
              Originally posted by Sambo712 View Post
              Here's a quick update:
              I've now had my first two Chiropractic visits, and the xrays revealed that my neck is curving in the wrong direction, my right hip is 10 mm high, and my pelvis is twisted 16mm to the left. Sounds like we've nailed down the problem folks,
              Gloat I love being right
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who wants to try a foam roller but is super cheap (like me).

Homemade Strength: Foam rolling is for church moms

I made one a few weeks ago, and I love it! (My dog chewed through some of the duct tape, but I'm just going to re-tape it.)

I'm *really* glad the OP figured out what was wrong! I bet it feels awesome to finally know how to fix your shoulder/upper back pain!!

Comment

Thanks Sarahelyse, I love diy stuff, I really can't afford a foam roller right now so I'm going to try this one for sure.
                  And yes, I am very glad to have a cause, now the healing process can begin I'm super hopeful!

Comment

Working...
                  X