Very cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very cold

So I went for a short hike today. I ended up with snot/breath cycles hanging from my facial hair. It was about 4 degrees fahrenheit.

I used to live for a time about an hour west of Winnipeg.

When we first moved there I noticed short posts with plugs next to the parking lot of the Canadian Tire store.
    Me: "What are those for?"
    Him: "So you can plug in your car, if you're going to be in the store for a long time."

Watching the news:
    Reporter: "The frostbite warning is 90 seconds today..."
    Me: "What does that mean?"
    Him: "It means that exposed skin freezes in 90 seconds."
    Me: "oh"
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

A wee bit south, but no warmer... 3 degrees F tonight.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I ate breakfast on my patio in shorts and a tank top today. Free Vitamin D treatment.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just had to rub it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I ate breakfast on my patio in shorts and a tank top today. Free Vitamin D treatment.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just had to rub it in.
          Yeah, but we get free cold thermogenesis... Makes us tougher. Those pampered SoCal types would probably catch the flu and die first hard winter out.
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
            Yeah, but we get free cold thermogenesis... Makes us tougher. Those pampered SoCal types would probably catch the flu and die first hard winter out.
            We can get free CT anytime we want too. It's called surfing without a wetsuit in the Pacific any time other than August. Brrrr.

But yes, SoCal peeps are spoiled rotten and proud of it. We start whining about a Heat Wave when it gets over 80 and breaking out the ski long johns if it gets under 60. Being a weather forecaster in SoCal has got to be the easiest gig ever.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
              So I went for a short hike today. I ended up with snot/breath cycles hanging from my facial hair. It was about 4 degrees fahrenheit.
              Grok would have done it nakid
              You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

-21 today......not too bad for january
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Not very cold here, but for our region still on the cold side. Temperatures below freezing for over a week now (between -2 C and -7 C), and we even have snow. But I prefer this over the usual winter weather, which means temps around 3 C and rain.
                  I go out for a walk every day, and it's fascinating how the body adapts. It doesn't feel that cold anymore.
                  Turnstone's world - not really a journal...

Comment

Hottest summer for at least 3 years (the previous two were constantly wet, resulting in the flooding you heard about ). We've had mid to high 30s, bordering on 40* a few times. This is celsius of course Our winters are delicious, down to maybe minus 4 at night, 15 - 18 during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      We can get free CT anytime we want too. It's called surfing without a wetsuit in the Pacific any time other than August. Brrrr.

But yes, SoCal peeps are spoiled rotten and proud of it. We start whining about a Heat Wave when it gets over 80 and breaking out the ski long johns if it gets under 60. Being a weather forecaster in SoCal has got to be the easiest gig ever.
                      I know exactly what you mean! I think I'm braver than most in SoCal going around in winter in shorts, but I start whimpering when it dips below 50. Have you watched this clip?

Los Angeles Overreacts to Cold Temperatures - YouTube
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Once upon a time in a very cold winter ("feels like" was ~20F below zero). Advisories were to not go out unless you had to.

Me (talking to a nearby drugstore that delivered): Hi, do you deliver cigarettes?
                        Her: Only if it's in addition to medicine.
                        Me: Does it have to be prescription?
                        Her: No.
                        Me: Cool. Could you deliver a bottle of Robitussen and a carton of Marlboros to....?

They did.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I hate the cold when it doesn't snow. I feel like it gets cold so it can snow, so when it gets cold it SHOULD snow. If it's not going to snow, it's just getting cold to piss me off.

I spent a few formative years in Hawaii and I miss that weather immensely. It's even cold in my office today because the heater is blowing out cold air...so no escape from the cold.

Comment

I wore sandals and rode my Vespa in short sleeves to Trader Joe's the other day. Then I sat indoors and read a book because it was too hot outside in the sun and too cool in the shade. After a while the shade warmed up and I sat outside under the avocado trees. I hate my snotcicle-free life.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm just happy that I get to go icefishing soon. Mmmmm, fresh Northern Pike.

Comment

Working...
                              X