No announcement yet.

Sleeping and Mattresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't be as interested in the hammock. I still just want a bed. Albeit down for one that resembles a hard floor.

Comment

As close to primal as we can get are organic mattresses made from 100% natural materials.

There are mattresses layered with Coconut husk fiber (coir) as well as 100% organic dunlop latex that are completely hypoallergenic and come in various firmness levels.

Check it out.

http://www.palmpringusa.com/

Comment

My "research" is my n=1. We bought a SleepComfort air mattress bed some 23 years ago. It was expensive and I thought it to be a bold, risky purchase at the time. We still have it, still love it. Current versions have the "sleep number" feature, which AFAICT simply puts a number on the adjustment control that allows you to take the bed from so soft you can't climb out to rock hard. You choose what feels best, and I find my preference is not the same all the time.

These are expensive beds, but I think they are worth the money, and mine today still provides an exceptional night's sleep.
        The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Interesting thread but we can't forget the pillows! Personally I think the pillow is even more important than the sleeping surface. I'm on the look out for another pillow because my 2 years old all down expensive pillow is compressing so much with the weight of my head, that I wake up every 3-4 hours to turn it. I hesitate between wool and buckwheat.

Back to the topic, after our expensive latex mattress began to sag after only 2 years, I searched the internet for hours for a natural spring mattress that doesn't contain any latex and I only found 2. It's really rare for some reason. Maybe I accuse the latex wrongly because our mattress is not only in latex, I don't know. Anyway, I can't stomach to pay a high price for something I don't know will sag or compress. Futons are definitely out and it's why I searched for spring mattresses as naked as possible because it's the topping that sags in my understanding. I figured if I can just change the mattress pad it will be more cost effective to change the entire mattress. I think the whole industry is happy making mattresses that only last a few years because they can sell more, but it's crazy because metal coils are strong!

Anyway, we still didn't buy anything and in the meantime, we put a blanket underneath our mattress to compensate for the sag. I wish it could be a permanent solution but it's only so so.

Comment

After 4 months of continuous use, I'm enjoying my Leesa hybrid mattress. Moderately priced. Use for 100 days and return for a full refund if not satisfied. Leesa is definitely oriented towards consumer satisfaction.

http://sleepopolis-mattress-reviews....ttress-review/

ETA: I'm using Sachi rejuvenation pillows (dual chamber, wool & millet hulls).

http://www.sachiorganics.com/product...ation-pillow-2
            Last edited by Michael S; 03-11-2016, 12:44 PM.
            Ht: 5'8"
            Wt: 166
            BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Originally posted by Coccinellee View Post
              Interesting thread but we can't forget the pillows! Personally I think the pillow is even more important than the sleeping surface.
              What pillows?

Personally I stopped using any pillow at all about four or five years ago, and I haven't looked back. I'm a back sleeper and I eventually discovered that any pillow, even those memory foam contoured ones, pushed my neck out of alignment. Sans pillow my neck is happily aligned, and the back pain which was starting to surface went away. When I do roll onto my side I bend my arm and lay my head on that pretty comfortably.

All my life I had trouble sleeping because of the discomfort of non-perfect pillows. Who knew that the solution for me was to eschew the soft things?

Comment

love this site: Sleep Like the Dead
                Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
                Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
                http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss View Post
                  What pillows?

Personally I stopped using any pillow at all about four or five years ago, and I haven't looked back. I'm a back sleeper and I eventually discovered that any pillow, even those memory foam contoured ones, pushed my neck out of alignment. Sans pillow my neck is happily aligned, and the back pain which was starting to surface went away. When I do roll onto my side I bend my arm and lay my head on that pretty comfortably.

All my life I had trouble sleeping because of the discomfort of non-perfect pillows. Who knew that the solution for me was to eschew the soft things?
                  I stopped sleeping with a pillow around the same time. I keep it wedged up above my head and pull it down when I sleep on my side. Using my arm to support my head never works well. My shoulder usually falls asleep and my arms don't have much padding. I stopped using the pillow for back-sleeping because it caused me to wake up coughing. I'm finally getting a sleep study done tonight (at home).
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket Red View Post
                    It is amazing how many different opinions there are on beds out there. I can sleep on anything/anywhere. The only thing that wakes me up is having to pee really bad.

One thing I have found makes any bed better is a 10 minute mobility routine before I get in bed. Simple movements that loosen the shoulders, hips, back, neck etc have made a huge difference in how I feel in the mornings. I am a stomach sleeper and at about age 34 my shoulders were killing me in the mornings and when I laid down at night. 10 mins a day took it all away in about 3 days.
                    I'd be interesting in knowing more about this 10 minute mobility routine.

Comment

BFTW:
                      love this site: Sleep Like the Dead
                      Lots of info here, thanks for posting.
                      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Working...
                      X