Paleo And Politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo And Politics

I haven't yet found a significant reason for why paleo should affect or contribute to my political opinions.

- Honestly, I can find many reasons for why subsidies to grains and sugar is bad, but the fact that I personally avoid them is not one. I don't care much what other people eat.

- And the demonizing of healthy fat and cholesterol, seems to be shrinking. More and more society is noticing that there's a difference between the fat you get from chips and deep-frying, and the fat found in animals, fish, seeds, etc. And it doesn't seem to be that widespread. Most people eat steaks and stuff. So long as I have access to these foods, I'm happy. And if more people go vegan, maybe it will lower the cost of meat.

Has paleo affected your political opinions, or your general view of humanity and societies?
    Last edited by Bosnic; 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM.

Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
      +1

Well said, Joanie. Mirrors my thoughts and expresses them better than I could have.
      Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

no, i already didn't like anyone
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
            I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....
            Hmm, this makes me think, Itchy.

I didn't start eating Primal to make any sort of statement at all, but the longer I continue with it the more passionate and committed I become. And the more I notice it is a far cry from what other people are eating.

Eating real food like meat and veges should not be a big deal, but it seems that it is.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I already have political issues. I am generally more a liberal, but I am a military officer's wife (the military world is quite conservative and due to my husband's job I keep very quiet about my own beliefs to make his life easier; I don't want my opinions to be a reflection on my husband who does not always share my opinion). I am an atheist surrounded (especially now living in SC) by very religious people (again, the military is populated with very evangelical people, or if not evangelical, very vocal about their beliefs). I have homeschooled (difficult to find a secular curriculum to use as guidance) and returned the kids to public school. I am a consumer and do find I have to make compromises, even if it does sometimes bother me, but no compromise is easy. I have a family and obligations to them because I chose to have and love this family. And yes, sometimes I feel my Primal-ness reminds me of the politics out there and I feel torn. As if they all didn't think I was nuts already...
              Starting weight: 168 lbs
              Current weight: 168 lbs
              Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
              a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Comment

The roots of government-subsidized HFCS lay in late 18th century England with the Enclosure Acts. Common lands that once fed commoners with a variety of staple foods were appropriated, consolidated and turned into grain export machines.

Comment

good thread. i get annoyed by the idea that my diet has to influence my politics, or should. and in fact, it doesn't. i'm a dirty pinko lefty, and was so before primal, and nothing has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                    good thread. i get annoyed by the idea that my diet has to influence my politics, or should. and in fact, it doesn't. i'm a dirty pinko lefty, and was so before primal, and nothing has changed.
                    Dirty pinko leftys have to eat too!!

The problem with the right is they will force us to eat what is profitable to produce, the problem with the left is they will force us to eat what THEY believe is best for us. Neither the left or the right like those who think and choose for themselves
                    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

I haven't yet found a significant reason for why paleo should affect or contribute to my political opinions.
                      because the body and mind are a single totality, and our present political condition, regardless of where on this rock you lay your head, is one of organized resistance to natural human conditions and demands of human existence as determined by our genetic heritage.

- Honestly, I can find many reasons for why subsidies to grains and sugar is bad, but the facts that I personally avoid them is not one. I don't care much what other people eat.
                      our money pays those subsidies, which is extracted at gun point and against our will

- And the demonizing of healthy fat and cholesterol, seems to be shrinking. More and more society is noticing that there's a difference between the fat you get from chips and deep-frying, and the fat found in animals, fish, seeds, etc. And it doesn't seem to be that widespread. Most people eat steaks and stuff. So long as I have access to these foods, I'm happy. And if more people go vegan, maybe it will lower the cost of meat.
                      haha you don't talk to any school kids about their cafeteria food?
                      "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Like Joanie I was already a non-conformist before I changed my diet to paleo. I never bought into common wisdom in any aspect of my life; I've always been intellectually curious. Eating a paleo diet just seemed to fit in with other aspects of my non-traditional life: when I got pregnant Hubby and I looked to tribal cultures and considered how children were raised. Which led us to having a home birth, extended nursing and unschooling. Eating a paleo diet just seemed to fit in with the way we live, we do our best not to support corporate mas produced consumption. We like to make things ourselves and we also like to think for ourselves. So for me it was the other way around my world view led me to see the logic of eating paleo.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I've become more of a libertarian and an individualist in my politics.
                          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                          Current Weight: 235 pounds
                          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Since when did the government have the corporations on a leash?

Comment

being primal hasn't changed my political stance much, but the whole WOE has altered my thinking quite a bit, which runs over into politics quite a bit. i think more, i question more, and i'm rarely satisfied with any idea born out of group think or platitudes as an argument method.
                              i suppose this should make me more of a centrist, or libertarian, but i don't fit so well into little boxes. i spend most of my time challenging others' opinions on issues, but always land way over in lefty territory.
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Working...
                              X