Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we overthinking this whole PB way of life?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually thought of you TG in the wake of the Algeria incident. Good to see you posting. And yes, it is so simple it's easy to over think.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Everything in moderation including all the info on this site. Everyone is different and they will do what is best for them. Some care to share more than others. Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
        Actually thought of you TG in the wake of the Algeria incident. Good to see you posting.
        Thanks IvyBlue for thinking about me. I'm back/still in Egypt and so far so good over here. But this weekend is supposed to get hairy in Cairo, Suez and Alex. I'll keep my head down out here in the desert. Not enough people out here to have a decent sized riot.
        Randal
        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

The entire internet and modern access for some (including myself) lends itself to hyper-analyzing choices. This can especially be true when starting a new lifestyle and being attached to a certain outcome - such as looking like Mark.

For myself, I have noticed some people get pretty thick into woods with ingredients, experiments, etc. and from my perception is does seems to make a pretty simple blueprint fairly complex. But its a free country and people can do as they wish.

Comment

I'm doing similar things, but for different reasons. This year I'm keeping a daily log of: kcal intake, grams of fat, carbs and protein, water intake, exercise, cold and heat exposure, slip-ups (oats in haggis or blood-sausage), disrupture from routine and problem factors (stress, late night). I'm also noting any illness or problems I suffer (digestive problems the day after having oats, any increase in acne or if I catch a cold or not). I'm noting how much food I buy in, what I buy and how often I buy it. I'm keeping a monthly log of weight, height, WHR and an approximate body-fat% and I'll be having a blood test soon-ish and another in six months.

Why? Not to fuss over my cholesterol, beat myself up about the oats (my body does that enough on its own) or alter what I'm doing in any way (besides slip-ups and stress, it works quite well). It's to add to the pile of evidence for Paleo/Primal. It's easy to point at a guru online. If someone is unconvinced you'll hear screams of "he's genetically predisposed to thinness!", "she HAS to have heart problems!", "steroids!"...etc If I have MYSELF as an exmaple for friends anf family:
            -they know I used to be large and I don't have "skinny genes"
            -they know I wouldn't lie to them
            -and now they'll have evidence that I'm doing what I say I'm doing AND that it doesn't harm my health
            --
            Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
            I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

It's intersting to read everyone's perspective. Thanks everyone for sharing.
              Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post

I love my new primal way of living (well not new, about 3 years now) and to me a big part of going primal is the simplicity of doing so. Basic quality food, donít eat crap, get a bit of exercise and enjoy life. To me, overanalyzing what Iím doing and any changes in my body on a daily basis would take away from this pleasure.
                This is generally my approach to PB (I've also been eating this way for about 3 yrs). My weight has been very stable for the last 2.5 yrs., not bad but a little over where I'd like it to be. So recently I started tracking and playing with the macros. I've never tracked before and I can't say that I'm happy about what this hyper focusing on my diet is doing to my relationship with food. I'm beginning to think it may be healthier for me to be slightly over my ideal weight than to scrutinize every bite I take. After all it was the simplicity of the PB that first attracted me to this WOE in the first place.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                  But shd.n't we be solicitous as to how everything is coming out for our fellow posters?
                  *chuckle*
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I like the simplicity of PB too. I must admit I weighed food a lot to start off and did the Paleotrack thing to death for a few weeks but now I know what I can eat and how much and I know what happens when I eat something that's not on my plan.
                    Just bought a blood sugar meter as I'd like to know how my body processes sugar and starches and how much I can eat but once I know my limits it will stop the tracking and just eat what I know I can handle.

Comment

I confess that I did ask if Grok would wear sunglasses...

I'm looking for a reason not to wear them, 'cause I hate them. I hate hats too.
                      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

I do think I over think things, especially when I start checking macros etc, but I do have a lot to lose, and I have to stop effing around with it, and get it done, so I think for now I have to over think things.

Comment

Overthinking? Hardly. It's very simple. All you need to do is follow the PB, take iodine with the proper protocols, re-set your leptin, carb re-feed, eat dry potatoes for two weeks, eliminate nightshades, eat plenty of vegetables, eliminate vegetables, put butter in your coffee and stop bathing.

Easy, breezy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                            Overthinking? Hardly. It's very simple. All you need to do is follow the PB, take iodine with the proper protocols, re-set your leptin, carb re-feed, eat dry potatoes for two weeks, eliminate nightshades, eat plenty of vegetables, eliminate vegetables, put butter in your coffee and stop bathing.

Easy, breezy.
                            You left out the part about knowing exactly what moment you've stopped exercising and gone into chronic cardio. Oh, an how heavy is heavy?
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              You left out the part about knowing exactly what moment you've stopped exercising and gone into chronic cardio. Oh, an how heavy is heavy?
                              and only eat in a 4 hour window (personally I'm sticking to a 12 hour door)
                              You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                                and stop bathing.

Easy, breezy.
                                Let's hope the breeze is going the other way.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X