Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Of You Who Bought A Paleo Recipe Book...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Of You Who Bought A Paleo Recipe Book...

You can find paleo recipes all over the internet for free.

So I was just kind of curious, for those that bought a recipe book, why did you?

To support the people who write decent cookbooks.

Comment

True, I mostly use recipes from the Internet. But I like to read cookbooks.
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

^ that and i'm hopeless at organizing, so recipe books are pre-organized
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

I love books, I really love books, did I say that I really, really love books? I have a huge bookcase (15 feet wide and 8 feet high or something - half of it is books about art and theory) and it is stuffed with books. And I have a thing for the library where I check out and covet other books. I have three paleo cookbooks, and if I find more I will buy those too.
          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

I bought marks cookbook because I figured the best way to prepare primal meals was to use recipes he says are primal. Also to support his site which is a treasure.

Comment

I like to support the paleo/primal community as much as I can. Plus I have favorite chefs and its easier to have all their recipes in hard copy form than soft. Some/Most of their recipes can't be found online so the book is the only way to get them.

And food (especially hot oil) splattered on the keyboard always causes problems.
              See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I love books. I still get recipes online, but I still love to browse through cookbooks. Even been known to read a new cookbook in bed!

Comment

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE books.
                  Especially love cookbooks - I read them in bed, too.
                  Want to support Mark, in particular, as he has added incredible value to my life and health.
                  Not all cookbook recipes are online... gotta go to the source for the hidden gems. And often the added sections of books, like bibliographies, footnotes, introduction, etc. yield incredible info/sources for further reading.
                  Books don't need recharging, ever.
                  Books don't emit blue light.
                  My computer is not in our small kitchen, so either I run back and forth a lot, or I make a hard copy, which is just the same to me as "shoulda' bought the book because it ended up on paper anyway". Unless I borrow the book from the library, but here we are, back at BOOKS.
                  Last edited by Crabbcakes; 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I just got the Paleo Slow Cooking cookbook. I got it because it was well done, with a good variety and simplistic meals (no pretentious crap). Also it is a concise reference for Primal style slow cooked meals.

I should note that the book is very Primal, it seems that Paleo is just a better marketing term.
                    If you like slow cooking, get this book!

Comment

Cause I like to buy books.
                      My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't like cookbooks. I did buy Odd Bits. It is a gorgeous book. But like most cookbooks the recipes use too many precious ingredients and have too many complicated steps.

Rather than cookbooks, I just learn how to cook the basic outline and then get inventive with interchangeable options. The Los Angeles Times had a good article last Saturday about that. The California Cook: Basic dishes a couple can build on - latimes.com This is the sort of instruction I would much rather have than what a typical cookbook offers.

I don't need to know the steps to make some fancy, pretty dish. What I really need are basic processes and what they work for. What's the temperature for the oven to do what I want to do? Is this cut of meat best with low temp/long cooking time or high temp/short cooking time? Is there a good sauce I can put on top of whatever I'm making and what's the simplest way to make this sauce? What the heck can I do with salt pork that doesn't take a lot of ingredients or steps? That sort of thing. For that reason I never buy books because they're never laid out that way. Maybe Betty Crocker from 1950 is laid out that way. I should look for an old one of those.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Maybe Betty Crocker from 1950 is laid out that way. I should look for an old one of those.
                          haha - this reminds me that my mother-in-law has an old cookbook with recipes for bologna cups. Yes, that's right, you take slices of bologna and heat them up in the oven, and like magic the rind shrinks and creates a nice little cup to put various appetizer type fillings in to serve to your guests. What a laugh.
                          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

those are the kinds of cook books i like most, vintage freak shows
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

I turn to the internet when I have an ingredient, need ideas what to do with it, and my existing cookbooks aren't helping.

I buy cookbooks because I like browsing them. I see things I would never think to cook otherwise and stuff that maybe I don't want to cook as is, but can tailor to my own tastes. I'm also one of those people who digs books.

Comment

Working...
                              X