Cure tooth decay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure tooth decay

I have made a thread about teeth before, I do have a cavity phobia, I remember brushing 4x times a day and using listerine twice a day before primal.

Yesterday I discovered a small brownish spot on my tooth next to my front teeth. Not sure what it is and how long it has been there but it could be a cavity.
    I am going to try this "tooth decay diet(?)". The book hasn't arrived yet.

I don't exactly know when my next dentist appointment is. But I will give this a a try.

I will be eating:

Beef liver
    Cod liver (not oil, the actual liver)
    Muscle meat
    Eggs
    Raw butter
    Raw cheese
    Calcium
    Vitamin D3
    Vegetables
    No (fruit) sugar

Track all my vitamins, minerals etc daily.

I'm curious where this is going to go. If it works I will feel awesome.
    Last edited by Gadsie; 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM.
    well then

I have a small brown spot on my front tooth, but it's because a bit of enamel chipped off while I was sleeping due to grinding or some other purely mechanical trauma. If you have good dental hygiene it's hard to believe you'd have a cavity on a spot you can clean so easily (that's certainly what I thought when I noticed the spot on my tooth).

So maybe it's not a cavity at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
      I have made a thread about teeth before, I do have a cavity phobia, I remember brushing 4x times a day and using listerine twice a day before primal.

Yesterday I discovered a small brownish spot on my tooth next to my front teeth. Not sure what it is and how long it has been there but it could be a cavity.
      I am going to try this "tooth decay diet(?)". The book hasn't arrived yet.

I don't exactly know when my next dentist appointment is. But I will give this a a try.

I will be eating:

Beef liver
      Cod liver (not oil, the actual liver)
      Muscle meat
      Eggs
      Raw butter
      Raw cheese
      Calcium
      Vitamin D3
      Vegetables
      No (fruit) sugar

Track all my vitamins, minerals etc daily.

I'm curious where this is going to go. If it works I will feel awesome.
      I don't think the brown spot's a cavity. You are prone to hyperbole.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        I don't think the brown spot's a cavity. You are prone to hyperbole.
        Hyperbole probably means something like overreact?
        I don't know, when i touch it with a toothpick I can feel it's deeper than the rest of my tooth.
        well then

Comment

Brown spots on your teeth are not indicative of cavities. But do take care of your teeth. My teeth are pretty bad. I had extensive dental work, and now I can barely chew my food and am in pain all the time. I think dentists are charlatans, so anything you can do to stay away from them is good.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hyperbole probably means something like overreact?
            I don't know, when i touch it with a toothpick I can feel it's deeper than the rest of my tooth.
            That sounds like you chipped it. Even if it's really sensitive (since you're poking exposed dentin), that's ok. Just keep up your normal brushing habits and eating well, you'll be fine. When I asked about mine last time I was at the dentist, he said he didn't think it was worth trying to correct.

I like going to the dentist. I get so many compliments, you'd think they'd never seen someone who flossed before.

Comment

You've most likely brushed too hard in that spot (consistently) and worn down your tooth.

Have you read good teeth from birth to death?

Comment

That diet can't hurt, even if it doesn't fix your tooth.

You could try a remineralization regimen. The Wellness Mama blog has a few posts about that and a toothpaste recipe. I've been doing my own version of her toothpaste and a brown spot I had on the edge of my tooth next to one of my top front teeth (I have gappy teeth on top) has become noticeably smaller.

And use a soft tooth brush.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I think dentists are charlatans, so anything you can do to stay away from them is good.
                  +1000. The less scrupulous ones even drill and fill cavities that are small enough to correct themselves with proper diet. Because it's billable. Ridiculous.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Brown spots on your teeth are not indicative of cavities. But do take care of your teeth. My teeth are pretty bad. I had extensive dental work, and now I can barely chew my food and am in pain all the time. I think dentists are charlatans, so anything you can do to stay away from them is good.
                    Unfortunately I will be having 6 more appointments in my life. That's when I'm 18 and can decide for myself. Luckily my dentist doesn't do weird stuff besides filling.
                    well then

Comment

Originally posted by SarahW View Post
                      That diet can't hurt, even if it doesn't fix your tooth.

You could try a remineralization regimen. The Wellness Mama blog has a few posts about that and a toothpaste recipe. I've been doing my own version of her toothpaste and a brown spot I had on the edge of my tooth next to one of my top front teeth (I have gappy teeth on top) has become noticeably smaller.

And use a soft tooth brush.
                      I had actually checke that out, but they're talking about some product you need to buy, this toothdsoap. I don't have that here in the netherlands.
                      well then

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        +1000. The less scrupulous ones even drill and fill cavities that are small enough to correct themselves with proper diet. Because it's billable. Ridiculous.
                        This interests me. The entire thread interests me, actually. Teeth can repair themselves, then? A cavity can self-repair? Can those of you with knowledge in this area elaborate? I don't see a dentist often and have wondered for years why my teeth seem to continue to be fine when I was told years ago I needed 4 crowns or would shortly need 4 root canals.
                        High Weight: 225
                        Weight at start of Primal: 189
                        Current Weight: 174
                        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I had actually checke that out, but they're talking about some product you need to buy, this toothdsoap. I don't have that here in the netherlands.
                          You don't have to use the toothsoap powder. I don't. There's a recipe there, 1 part baking soda, 1 part calcium powder (I use dolomite powder or ground up egg shells), 1 part xylitol, some liquid castille soap (if you want), some peppermint oil (if you want), and mixed with 2-3 part CO to make it "set." I ordered everything (except the baking soda) off the internet. Pretty sure you could get it all off amazon.de.

That's what I use, and have had good results.

Comment

There is nothing that can reverse decay that has penetrated the enamel and has reached the dentin layer beneath it. The products that best prevent decay, and can POSSIBLY reverse very early, incipient lesions contain flouride or ACP (amorphous calcium phosphate). Your best prevention is brushing with a flouride-containing dentifrice, flossing regularly, refraining from sugar consumption and seeing your dental professional regularly for exams and maintenance. Early caries can be repaired with minimal "drilling", or the use of lasers if indicated, and filling. Home remedies may only delay the inevitable and perhaps result in tooth loss. MOST dentists I know do NOT "drill" just to bill the patient. Our goal is prevention and over-all health care. A "sick" mouth adversly affects general health. You need healthy teeth for this paleo lifestyle- it would not be enjoyable to sip your steal through a straw!

Comment

I have no idea what the brown spot may be, but for a good dental and oral health I'd recommend a good brushing twice a day and flossing very often. That along with good, low-sugar diet will keep you away from the dentist for a while. Of course, to some extent dental health is genetic.
                              I have always been good about taking care of my teeth, and at 34 I have had only minimal amount of work done, even with problem teeth in my family.

Comment

Working...
                              X