Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rage, adrenaline rush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rage, adrenaline rush

    Has anyone experienced rage or inappropriate adrenaline response when they first started eating Primal?

    This is day seven for me eating Primal, and yesterday on three separate occasions I experienced extreme adrenaline responses (rage) from what would normally be quite minor stimuli for me. I have always been a fairly laid-back person, and I rarely experience much in the way of anger. I have however been having panic attacks over the last year before going Primal (I'm hoping the diet will help with those).

    I didn't lash-out at anyone or anything like that, but my experiences were seriously the biggest shots of adrenaline I've ever experienced. Even sitting down and trying to control my breathing, it took almost an hour for me to get my heart rate under control, and for the flush to come out of my face.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

  • #2
    Nah, I always have had that type of response... to everything.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

    The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh yeah. My rage issues have been with me for the better part of my entire life and have only exacerbated in the last year since I dropped my medication. But my rage is on account of a gut problem, it seems. I expect my doctor to call with my official diagnosis any day now - possibly celiac disease, possibly not. Do you have any GI problems?

      I don't know if our situations are comparable, but if you find the situation getting worse to the point where you're actually experiencing violent outbursts, I'd get your B-12 checked at the very least. That's not something doctors typically check without a diagnosis code, so you'd have to try to piggyback it onto another test using an old diagnosis, if you have any.

      Here's to hoping you and I are different.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the input, maybe its just naturally how I am without a gut full of corn byproducts. I have been struggling with GI problems and panic disorders - two of the reasons I've switched to Primal foods. Yesterday the adrenaline was off the charts though.

        I hit the gym today for some heavy lifting, hoping that will help as well.
        "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

        Comment


        • #5
          Has your week of Primal eating been very different from how you used to eat?

          The only thing that I could think of is that if you've not been a big meat/dairy/cholesterol enthusiast, then maybe your body is using the sudden influx of cholesterol to make an excessive amount of testosterone or some other hormone.

          My husband was taking pregnenolone (the 'mother' of all hormones) to see if it's natural steroidal properties would help his autoimmune flare up. He never got a chance to see if it would help because it gave him rage and irritability like a mofo, and had to stop after a few days.

          Since pregnenolone is synthesized from cholesterol, I could see having a similar issue with a sudden spike in dietary cholesterol that the body wasn't used to. Just my armchair 2 cents.

          Comment


          • #6
            Welcome back to experiencing the full influence of your body's hormones. If you've been eating high-carb, high-wheat for a long time perhaps your hormones have been severely blunted by elevated insulin and opiate-like effects of wheat proteins.

            Humans were not typically the passive, sedate pushovers that we make the (pretense) of being today, in politically correct civil society.

            Develop and maintain a strict, honourable moral code and channel your adrenaline for good. Hold high expectations of yourself, with low expectations on others, and you won't have any reason to act negatively.

            Next time you get a rush, try a round of tabata sprints.

            Comment


            • #7
              I was thinking maybe increased testosterone. I'm eating lots of beef, butter and eggs as well as a good portion of veggies.

              No problems today so far, maybe it was just a "blip".
              "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                Has anyone experienced rage or inappropriate adrenaline response when they first started eating Primal?

                This is day seven for me eating Primal, and yesterday on three separate occasions I experienced extreme adrenaline responses (rage) from what would normally be quite minor stimuli for me. I have always been a fairly laid-back person, and I rarely experience much in the way of anger. I have however been having panic attacks over the last year before going Primal (I'm hoping the diet will help with those).

                I didn't lash-out at anyone or anything like that, but my experiences were seriously the biggest shots of adrenaline I've ever experienced. Even sitting down and trying to control my breathing, it took almost an hour for me to get my heart rate under control, and for the flush to come out of my face.
                Shamefully, thats just normal for me, mostly due to irritation from pain, but all the same. Few things to consider to follow

                i) Adipose tissue breaks down testosterone into estrogen. The process is called aromatase if your intrested. When you start shedding fat it can result in weirdness as the body over produces testosterone. I have only ever heard of this causing an increase in sex drive, though I guess it could go into anger.
                ii) Good on you for lifting. However, could you just be getting 'tetchyness'? I think its a fault caused by a lack of micro nutrients. I get it sometimes if I am hitting the gym particularly hard, varying the diet clears it up. Usually causes irritation, temper worse than usual, that kind of thing.
                iii) I lack data on an medical causes. I am sure other forum members will help, or you may have to go and visit a doctor.

                As goneprimal stated, humans were never supposed to be passive whimpish sacks of s***, so learn to focus any angers or rage into positive things. Sprinting, heavy weights, whatever burns off some energy
                Primal and deadlifting my way to health (hopefully)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by goneprimal View Post
                  Welcome back to experiencing the full influence of your body's hormones. If you've been eating high-carb, high-wheat for a long time perhaps your hormones have been severely blunted by elevated insulin and opiate-like effects of wheat proteins.

                  Humans were not typically the passive, sedate pushovers that we make the (pretense) of being today, in politically correct civil society.

                  Develop and maintain a strict, honourable moral code and channel your adrenaline for good. Hold high expectations of yourself, with low expectations on others, and you won't have any reason to act negatively.

                  Next time you get a rush, try a round of tabata sprints.
                  Well one of the "episodes" was while driving on the freeway with my wife and youngest daughter in the car, just picturing pulling over, getting out and sprinting down the freeway put a huge grin on my face lol
                  "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                    Has anyone experienced rage or inappropriate adrenaline response when they first started eating Primal?

                    This is day seven for me eating Primal ...
                    I didn't have that when I started eating this way, but I DID get it when I stopped coffee for a while, and when I quit smoking. You could be going through some withdrawl from the foods you used to eat, especially if you were eating a lot of processed sugar, and especially if you are doing a low carb primal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm off the alcohol too, and was a fairly regular drinker. Probably changing things too much at once to nail it down.

                      Regardless, I feel really good and am down 5.5lbs after 7 days!
                      "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just thought I would re-visit this thread for an update.

                        After my first week, my rage issue went away. I'm just over a month on Primal now, and I can honestly say that I am more emotionally and mentally healthy.

                        Other than being totally suckered into a stupidarguement with a troll on another thread, I've experienced very little anger at all since my "rage-out" sessions a month ago. The emotions I do have are much more appropriate to the situation.
                        "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                          I just thought I would re-visit this thread for an update.

                          After my first week, my rage issue went away. I'm just over a month on Primal now, and I can honestly say that I am more emotionally and mentally healthy.

                          Other than being totally suckered into a stupidarguement with a troll on another thread, I've experienced very little anger at all since my "rage-out" sessions a month ago. The emotions I do have are much more appropriate to the situation.
                          Hi itchy, when I read this thread I wondered why you said you'd only been on PB 7 days. Now I know.

                          After 'carb flu' for the first week, I had spasmotic periods of really accelerated heart beat, pulse rate, etc., that would last 5 to 15 minutes. Now that's all gone. Maybe that's the female comparable.

                          Now I've started wanting to eat flour-containing snacks. Each week, for the last 3, I hunt for that kind of snack, buy one, then at home the next day, read the increadients more carefully and throw it out. This could get expensive.

                          But, hey, I've been eating flour all my life. There's an excuse for my habit.
                          "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                            Hi itchy, when I read this thread I wondered why you said you'd only been on PB 7 days. Now I know.

                            After 'carb flu' for the first week, I had spasmotic periods of really accelerated heart beat, pulse rate, etc., that would last 5 to 15 minutes. Now that's all gone. Maybe that's the female comparable.

                            Now I've started wanting to eat flour-containing snacks. Each week, for the last 3, I hunt for that kind of snack, buy one, then at home the next day, read the increadients more carefully and throw it out. This could get expensive.

                            But, hey, I've been eating flour all my life. There's an excuse for my habit.
                            At least you are throwing them out!! Try to buy from the clearance bins _ products that are past the due date. You're not going to eat it anyway!!
                            "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some rage, but more of the sex drive. Thankfully, after a few weeks, it leveled a bit, the husband was getting tired. :P

                              Sure seems like the testosterone gets to shine in the sun again. Does wheat and sugar help estrogen production to overshadow testosterone?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X