So eating paleo is now a fad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So eating paleo is now a fad?

I'm noticing chatter, on various social networking websites, pertaining to the paleo way of eating. Mostly since the new year started, heh. While it's great to see it's becoming a little more mainstream (seemingly), at the same time, it's bringing out ignorant critics. For instance, I saw someone on Facebook inquiring as to why everyone is posting paleo recipes. They asked if it really is a healthier way to eat. Another person snapped, "It's just a fad, it will pass." This isn't the first time I've heard someone say this.Why does it annoy me so much?! Maybe because this is the way we're meant to eat, and it's not fleeting ( I did say that to them). I also contacted the original poster, as they were interested in eating healthier. The real deal. Not the conventional "healthier." Anyway, that is all. I seriously dislike this way of eating being called a fad. I'll get over it.
    No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
    -Buddha

It is the big excuse people have been using for a while now. Just remind them Paleo for hundreds of thousands of years, grains for 10,000...hmmm I wonder which is the fad.
    Not to mention modern grain consumption less than 40.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

As my signature says......
      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
        It is the big excuse people have been using for a while now. Just remind them Paleo for hundreds of thousands of years, grains for 10,000...hmmm I wonder which is the fad.
        Precisely!

@ Scott...nice sig ya got there. ^^
        No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
        -Buddha

Comment

It could be a fad honestly, but for those of us who stick with it, it's a lifestyle. I suspect a lot of people will jump on the paleo bandwagon for the new year only to fall off. For those people, it's a fad.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

There have been so many diets over the years that its easy to call something new a fad, especially when it runs contrary to what the good old government recommends (lots of grains and vegetable oils!).
            http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I think it's great if it's becoming a fad. It won't take long for people to realize it brings results- and quickly- and then maybe we can get enough people to pay attention and to realize the current USDA Food Pyramid is killing us.
              High Weight: 225
              Weight at start of Primal: 189
              Current Weight: 174
              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                I suspect a lot of people will jump on the paleo bandwagon for the new year only to fall off. For those people, it's a fad.
                This is a good point.
                I also feel it's a good thing more people are discovering paleo, so there's the positive.
                -Buddha

Comment

My stock response is, "Yup, it's been a fad for the past million years or so. Don't worry, it will pass soon."

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                    I think it's great if it's becoming a fad. It won't take long for people to realize it brings results- and quickly- and then maybe we can get enough people to pay attention and to realize the current USDA Food Pyramid is killing us.
                    I love that response! It's sweet. I hope so too - anything that can make more people aware of how much bad information we are given, especially by the US government, is a good thing!
                    Sarah
                    Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
                    SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

Comment

You know, I've given this some thought, because I've had quite a few people approach me lately and tell me they wanted to "go Paleo" for "New Year's." Obviously they're looking at Paleo as a quicker-fix weight loss diet, and they're hoping it gets them to their magic New Year's resolution weight. And when people approach it like this, it does make it seem like a "fad."

But then I remember where I was a year ago. The exact same place. Desperate to drop my excess baby weight before Easter. Willing to try anything to get there. Discovered Paleo through a Google search. Decided it was worth a shot, even though it sounded crazy to my "conventional wisdom" way of thinking. Fast forward a year and I've learned that Paleo is so much more than a diet.

So I still encourage my friends/family to jump on this bandwagon, even if THEY think it's just a fad, because who knows? Maybe after a month or two of Paleo living, they'll learn what it's really about.
                      Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
                      Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Comment

Working...
                      X