No announcement yet.

Into the Wild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend who spent a period of time being like Chris McCandless minus the Alaska thing. He ended up becoming a software engineer, married, kids, the whole thing. People should just get out there and live their wanderlust if they have it. It doesn't shut as many doors as people think and probably opens many more doors than you can imagine.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Dick Proenneke is one of my heroes. I remember watching that video when I was in my early teens.

Comment

Read the book and one word comes to mind.......careless. Hard to feel sorry for him even though it was an interesting read.

Now Dick Preonneke is a man to be admired!
        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
          Thanks for posting the link, it was long but well worth reading. I have run across the Poisonous Plant Fable myself several times usually with regard to foraging for mushrooms, some one always mentions some story where an experienced mushroom hunter died (usually kills family members too) from eating the wrong mushroom. The message is: Fear nature, it's dangerous!
          not always a myth when it comes to mushrooms Nicholas Evans: 'Guilt is my subject. I've taken research to an extreme degree' | Books | The Guardian The deadly dish that poisoned our lives: How The Horse Whisperer's Nicholas Evans almost killed his own family with wild mushrooms | Mail Online
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            How is it a fable? It's not an unusal thing for a young person to do (minus the dying part) - I travelled quite a bit in India and you see people like that dude all the time going off to live in caves, or the desert...
            The *Fable* that canterbolls is referring to is the Poison Plant Fable described in the article Sbhikes linked to.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Yeah, I know there are people who have died from eating wild mushrooms, but it's such a predictable thing for some one to say when ever you mention foraging for mushrooms and apparently for other edibles in the wild. We don't tend to mention the danger of traveling in a motor vehicle even though more people die that way, in fact almost every one knows some one personally who either died or was seriously injured in a car accident and yet we take that risk daily.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                Yeah, I know there are people who have died from eating wild mushrooms, but it's such a predictable thing for some one to say when ever you mention foraging for mushrooms and apparently for other edibles in the wild. We don't tend to mention the danger of traveling in a motor vehicle even though more people die that way, in fact almost every one knows some one personally who either died or was seriously injured in a car accident and yet we take that risk daily.
                Maybe if we had the same number of asshats causing accidents on the road also barreling through the forests looking for snacks, there would be a similar rate of fatalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                  Maybe if we had the same number of asshats causing accidents on the road also barreling through the forests looking for snacks, there would be a similar rate of fatalities.
                  You got a point there!

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                    For a FAR better documentary on living in the Alaskan wilderness, check out the similarly named Alone in the Wilderness. It details the real, true wilderness survivalist Richard Proenneke in his quest to live alone and (mostly) on his own. Amazing, inspiring, and entertaining. Without leaving you feeling like you're watching an idiot.
                    Thanks for this!

I watched several films about him today and he is indeed the MAN. He could kick Chuck Norris's ass and he didn't even start his Alaskan adventure until he was in his 50's. I especially liked the first film because he really was all alone, without even a camera man, and he built that cabin completely by himself in what seemed as no time at all.

Very inspirational, and thanks again for mentioning it.

Jim
                    Last edited by JEL62; 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X