Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Organic and Grass Fed more expensve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Organic and Grass Fed more expensve?

Is it merely economies of scale? The fact that we're willing to pay more (demand)? I mean on some level, I wonder why I don't pay more for pesticides, union (I think) labor, etc.

While political diatribes are welcome, I'm really looking for logical answers. Figure if the spectrum is from Fin'l Wizard to someone who can't turn a fraction into a decimal, I'm somewhat above the median, but a Fin'l Wizard would probably think I'm goofy.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Well where I live, they are not.
    But for those who think it is (if it is where you are), the extra you were spending on packaged crap can go towards good protein sources can't it?

Comment

Pastured animals require more land than conventionally raised animals... I would guess the medical costs for animals who aren't pumped full of antibiotics is also fairly high.

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      Well where I live, they are not.
      But for those who think it is (if it is where you are), the extra you were spending on packaged crap can go towards good protein sources can't it?
      Wish I lived in a place where organic and grass-fed was the norm instead of the exception lol

Comment

Yes, here it is. I can buy a pound of plastic wrapped, pink slime ground beef at Walmart for less than $4/lbUS (at least four months ago, since I haven't been in awhile) and even non pink slime ground beef at other stores (still CAFO) for about the same price. But I pay $8/lb for grass fed ground beef. Organic produce isn't as bad, but there's at least a 30% difference.

Wild vs farmed fish hasn't been as much of an issue (except I remember the Chinese Walmart salmon was pretty cheap). It seems to be standard meats (beef, fowl, pork) and produce.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Ayla, got a spare bedroom - I'm moving in!

B*tch-lite

Comment

because farmers are mean and don't want us to be happy
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Its not really the "norm". I do have to drive an hour for this butcher, but there are a few around. Sydney is huge though.
              I avoid the supermarket for meat, unless desperate for my pets, I will occasionally buy their meat there, but it normally comes from the same place as ours. Raw meaty bones. Bought lamb ribs, necks and some big hunk of lamb with a bone in for the dogs, and kangaroo for the cats this morning.
              I have never bothered to look into how commercially raised meat is in Aus, but they proudly say grain fed, so was enough for me to stop buying it.
              I spend about $500 at a time for 5-6 weeks of meat.
              For 4 of us (2 little people).

Comment

Sorry no spare room, but we have a couch

I also buy eggs from this same farmer from free ranging chickens, 30 for $7. Huge ones. Often with double yolk.
                Slightly closer to home is a farmer, not certified organic, but he assures me no pesticides, and his word is good enough to me. He also has eggs, but lots of fresh veg and fruit, seasonal of course.
                Id rather give this small farm my money over the supermarket, even if not certified organic.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  because farmers are mean and don't want us to be happy
                  I always love your POV. lol

Ayla, you have children? Um... I don't think I can make it after all. *chuckle* But if I'm ever your way, I may take you up on that sofa for a night or two. (NZ, Sidney, I could do a tour. I'm stacking up invites folks, so don't make them lightly.)

B*tch-lite

Comment

Yep 2 boys (5 and 2.5) sorry haha. You don't like kids?
                    BTW its Sydney lol

Comment

Economy of scale, grain subsidies, growth hormones, more machines less human labor for conventionally raised meat probably a lot of other reasons. Hubby and I tried our hands at raising bees and selling the honey, doing it w/o chemicals and pesticides and there was no way we could sell the honey for the price of conventionally produced honey, not even close! It's a lot of physical work and you have to know a lot too. I know the farmers that raise the beef we buy and the farmers that keep the goats (we are part of a goat share) that give us our milk and I can tell you these guys are not getting rich. I only hope they keep doing what they are doing. Hubby now has a new project he is raising 2 pigs, just for our own use and once again we find it is more work than you might imagine. Especially if you don't want to just give them commercial pig food (soy & corn).
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

The reason we even have CAFO beef is because they found that they could produce more meat with less cost in a factory setting. Just like factory made, mass produced shoes are MUCH cheaper than hand made ones. The factory system is built around maximizing profits which also allows for a lower retail cost which allows CAFO meat to be sold at a more competitive price. As long as people are shopping based on price thats how it will go.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          I always love your POV. lol
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

Fortunately my local whole Foods has local grass fed/finished ground beef for around $6 a pound, not too bad. when I get a freezer I hope to drop that price by buying direct.
                            An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
                            -Somebody funny

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                              The reason we even have CAFO beef is because they found that they could produce more meat with less cost in a factory setting. Just like factory made, mass produced shoes are MUCH cheaper than hand made ones. The factory system is built around maximizing profits which also allows for a lower retail cost which allows CAFO meat to be sold at a more competitive price. As long as people are shopping based on price thats how it will go.
                              This is the main/overall reason. Also because the people who want organic/grass-fed/etc (us)... are willing to pay a premium to get it.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X