Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm going to do this "not washing hair" thing. What's in store?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being an RN I have to deal a lot with people who do not wash their hair. The smell is horrible. Just saying.
    5'7'' 127 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Comment

Washed my hair with four egg yolks yesterday and it looks great! Totally took away any dullness and pretty much had the same effect as shampoo - but without the abrasiveness

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
      Quit wheat back in April. My hair was beautiful until somewhere around October and started falling out. I did have a cinnamon roll and a brownie over the holidays and I have had corn. This week it has gotten worse. It is driving me crazy.
      Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
      I am type II diabetic. 150g are way too much for me. And I eat dark chocolate almost daily. If I eat more than 50g of carbs a day my blood glucose and weight go up.
      Well there are a few things that can make hair fall out. Diet is one, but stress also plays a huge role. A lot of people's hair starts to fall out if they go through emotional upheaval. Or it could be hormonal.

I second the suggestion to add more carbs back in, but if you're type two diabetic maybe experiment incrementally and see if some carbs effect your hair quality. If you want to keep them under 50g you could supplement instead of the dark chocolate .
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Aaaaaaaaand frenchie also did not pay attention to anything said in this thread prior to that post. People whose unwashed hair stinks are not doing what we're doing. Guaranteed.

150g carbs/day is unnaturally high for most of the world this time of year. Unless you get 12hrs daylight year in and year out & constant temps above 80F, I'd do a little more seasonal variation. Of course, there's ultimately no arguing with the glucose meter.

Hair falling out is a definite call for testing free T3.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Getting blood work done this week. I want this resolved. The hair doesn't look great but it really needs a cut too. Hopefully I can do that soon.

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

Hair falling out is a definite call for testing free T3.
          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I decided to give the no shampoo thing a try the last 4 days since I was going to be home the whole time, but I caved earlier this afternoon and washed it. My hair was just so greasy, limp, and it was sticking together in chunks and plastered to my head. It looked truly gross. I guess I must be an extreme extra oil producer. I'm not sure going shampoo free will work for me, but perhaps if I ever have a longer span of time where I won't have to go into class or work I will try again.

Comment

No, that's normal for the transition. That's why I decided to do it in the summer, when my hair would be up most of the time and the grease would be unnoticeable. It might work better for you to just slowly expand the number of days between washing. If you 'poo daily, maybe do try washing on Monday, then Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun, Tue, Thur, Sat, Mon, Thur, Sat, Tue, etc., getting more and more time between each one to give you scalp a chance to get the notice that it doesn't need to keep pouring sebum everywhere, but without looking like a sebumy mess, either.

My dh was lucky and transitioned in just two days. Not I It took weeks. 4-6 weeks is a standard time for a lot of people if they go cold turkey.

Comment

I haven't used shampoo for six or seven years, works fine! It takes about five or six weeks for the hair to adjust, I kept my hair really short for those first few weeks.

Comment

It turns out that dogs get their vitamin D by licking it off their fur. So if you and your other are both doing this no washing hair thing maybe you could lick the vitamin D off each others hair and save money on supplements (wink).

Comment

Actually, along those lines, it's been found that you can go out in the sun all you want, but if you then hop in the shower (and especially if you then use shampoo & soap), you will wash off all your D. Who knew?!

It takes 24hrs or more for D to absorb fully, but I suspect most of it absorbs in the first few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      Actually, along those lines, it's been found that you can go out in the sun all you want, but if you then hop in the shower (and especially if you then use shampoo & soap), you will wash off all your D. Who knew?!

It takes 24hrs or more for D to absorb fully, but I suspect most of it absorbs in the first few hours.
                      Wow - peachy skin, here we come!

SO - now I've been shampoo free for 15 days. My hair looks fine! The egg yolks I washed it with on Saturday morning completely sorted out any dullness, and it doesn't look remotely greasy (in the past I had to wash it every two days). Maybe of one of those quickly adapting people...

Also, this will sound bizarre, but is it possible that my hair has started growing faster?! I dyed my hair two weeks ago, and the roots are already showing. Normally it takes at least a month for that to happen.
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I just started this no shampoo craziness and wondered if any of the previous post-ers have curly hair. Mine is a crazy curly mess and in the past I had to use a LOT of products to tame it. I'm hoping I won't have to do this anymore, but wanted to see if anyone else had any advice for no-poo and curly.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinF View Post
                          I just started this no shampoo craziness and wondered if any of the previous post-ers have curly hair. Mine is a crazy curly mess and in the past I had to use a LOT of products to tame it. I'm hoping I won't have to do this anymore, but wanted to see if anyone else had any advice for no-poo and curly.
                          My hair is curly and looks way better without shampooing. It is no longer frizzy and seems weighed down by the amount of oil in it. Looks better than ever, when it feels like it needs a wash i use Baking soda followed by ACV, probably once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinF View Post
                            My hair is curly too and is much nicer now that i have given up shampoo. I still use products, but they are all in line with the naturally curly girl recommendations so they are okay for curly hair and won't build up even if you don't shampoo.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I just tried the eggs and coconut cream wash yesterday and my hair feels soft and fluffy like bunny fur. I used one whole egg and one yolk but next time i think I'll go for just the yolks to make it a bit thicker.

Comment

so do you coat it on and leave it for a bit, does it take a lot to rinse it out?

Primal Organic Shampoo Bar – Primal Life Organics.... Paleo Skincare I use this at the moment, maybe once a week. But do plan on just doing the baking soda/ACV once it runs out. After I wash with the bar, I do a rinse with ACV.

I have used the oil cleansing method on my face and I love how it feels.

Comment

Working...
                                X