No announcement yet.

improved mental clarity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep saying bye bye to grains cleared my head right up.

Comment

I'm not sure how you would define mental clarity, but for me it started after drinking bulletproof coffee. I add a half tablespoon or so of butter to my coffee, blend it with a stick blender (seriously, one of your best friends ever. $40 at bed bath and beyond) then add some heavy cream.
      My god.
      It feels good going down and in 20 minutes, I'm bouncing off the walls. I'm happier (in part I know because I'm not going to be sluggish all day/did something good for myself) and less crabby. I'm more active around the house. For example, clutter for me is a problem and keeping a neat house is one of my resolutions this year. When I think about all the errands I have to today (go to the gym, then grocery shopping, then some laundry/cleaning at home), I don't get so bitchy about it. This is important to me.
      I wish my bf would try grain/wheat free. He did some gluten free stuff and felt good but then started having nasty diarrhea and stopped. It was happening for a couple of weeks before he quit so I'm not sure what was going on. I thought it might have been his system cleaning itself out, like it did when he moved in with me, but he didn't want to keep trying. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate a PM.
      January 14th-306.2
      January 21st, lost 2" off my waist.
      January 30th-300.2

Come to the edge she said.
      No, I'll fall.
      Come to the edge.
      No, it's too high.
      Come to the edge.
      I came
      She pushed
      And I flew

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
        LOL. What's the point of sex, without an orgasm?
        Ever since my hysterectomy, that's pretty much been my sentiment.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Since I develop software for a living mental clarity is a must. Sleep is important and no cold medicines. But since you have ADHD you may need to get more Omega-3 in your diet than others (according to Dr Fuhrnam). Consider grinding flaxseed and adding to whatever you are eating. You could take a fish oil supplement but flaxseed is a whole food.

flaxseed vs fish oil.jpg

Comment

Flaxseed's omega-3 is not very bioavailable.
            Depression Lies

Comment

my fog comes back when i let sugar in or grains....best clarity BY FAR was when I was doing ketogenic. Trying to get back there as I 'm an epileptic---controlled for the most part though. My diet really really needs to be clean!
              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I'm so mentally f'd up that no amount of primal is going to help.
                It's weird, the first few weeks I went primal, I got mental clarity happiness in lieu of carb flu. Then it all mentally went to hell again.

However, a 4-month primal co-worker reported mental clarity.
                5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  Do you have a citation for that? I wonder if the bioavailibility depends on whether it is freshely ground, pre-ground, is cooked or not, or what it is eaten with. I am also wondering about the percent bioavailable.

Comment

I seem to remember reading that DHA is the Omega-3 necessary for the production of dopamine, which ADHD people are usually deficient in. Flaxseed has lots of ALA, doesn't it? That would make it not the best supplement for the job. Check out Dr. Daniel Amen. He does SPECT scans of people's brains, and has identified 6 apparent subtypes of ADHD depending on what parts of the brain are overactive or underactive and when. He recommends low carb for all types except overfocused types (these ones have insufficient serotonin, too, and need more carbs). He is not primal, but he has lots of anecdotal evidence about food, activity, and ADHD.

Comment

I'm ADHD myself. Right now, I'm in ketosis which in itself gives me a more clear mind almost by default. But at this moment I'm in ketosis AND drinking a lot of yerba mate and, just... Wow. The effect is something else. More than being in ketosis alone.

You might want to give it a try.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yerba mate hey?
                        I wonder if we can get that in Aus, off to google hmm.

Yep I love being in ketosis, I feel full of energy even though have not needed to eat yet today (its nearly 4pm)

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          I'm ADHD myself. Right now, I'm in ketosis which in itself gives me a more clear mind almost by default. But at this moment I'm in ketosis AND drinking a lot of yerba mate and, just... Wow. The effect is something else. More than being in ketosis alone.

You might want to give it a try.

What are the ingredients?
                          I found where I can get it here, but it doesn't show the ingredients, is it just tea?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                            Yerba mate hey?
                            I wonder if we can get that in Aus, off to google hmm.

Yep I love being in ketosis, I feel full of energy even though have not needed to eat yet today (its nearly 4pm)
                            You can buy it from several online vendors and have it shipped to you. So you can ALWAYS get it.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                              What are the ingredients?
                              I found where I can get it here, but it doesn't show the ingredients, is it just tea?
                              It's an indigenous evergreen plant with all three natural xanthine stimulants (caffeine, theobromine, and theophyline) in it which is native to the Amazon Rainforest that is brewed SORT OF similarly to tea, but it's not actually a true tea.

The Health Benefits of Yerba Mate | Mark's Daily Apple

Yerba mate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                              Last edited by Drumroll; 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                                In the words of J. Stanton "Flaxseed oil (ALA) is not an acceptable substitute. Our bodies are woefully inefficient (less than 1%) at converting it to the DHA we require. Besides, its real name is linseed oil. That’s furniture polish, and furniture polish is not food."
                                “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                                X