No announcement yet.

Primal New Year's Resolutions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My resolution is to not buy a car. Mine was written off just before Christmas, so now I am committed to learning to get myself around by other means. So far, so good. I have ridden the bus, walked and today I made my first bike ride in a very long time. It was actually kind of fun and I even got to stop and literally smell the roses in my neighbour's garden.

Best wishes to everyone with health and fitness resolutions. In these past 12 months - and especially the last six since learning how to eat primally - I achieved far more than I even hoped, and I feel fantastic as a result. Weight and mood swings under control, bloating and insomnia gone, blood pressure literally better than ever. You can do it too, and it is definitely worth it.

I love the snail mail resolution too.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by trekfan View Post
      Some really great ones here, folks. Here's mine:

My top New Year's Resolution is to be more social. I am a major, major, social coward. Years of being the fat guy pretty much restricted me to one role (that of comic relief) and that role did not let me build up many social skills. I want to get out, get with other people, and have fun. I hardly hang out with anyone from my age group. I'm great with people 30+ or 16 and younger ... adults and kids basically.

But as a 24 year old, I have no connection with my generation at all. This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
      Hey trekfan, I don't really pretend to know what your age group in a different country *do*, the social norms, or how you all interact these days, but my suggestion is to find something you really really LOVE and join a group or class - the common interest is a great starting point, whether it is fishing, a book club, film school, dancing etc. The plus side of the challenge of interacting with strangers is to pursue a passion.

I guess joining forums are a good way of finding like minded souls and I guess where your age group hang out but online interactions are different and don't do much to improve the small talk.

My job always forces me to interact with strangers with odd dynamics, and I find it helpful to spend a few minutes of thinking about conversation starters. Topical issues are fine but can be hot topics, so I tend to think of safe topics such as TV, movies and books. Must be easier for guys and the sports chat...

What is it with weight gain and assuming the joker role? I have only gained weight in last decade and its true. It is also very true that it is socially isolating - you don't have anything to wear, don't want to catch up with people until you lose some pounds etc etc. Good on you for tackling it head on this year.

Comment

My list:

single biggest objective - lose the second me; I am officially double the weight I should be. This sucks, too many years of hating myself for being obese.

So, adherence to primal.

20% only applies to non food rules, only slip ups for social graces I cannot avoid or IF

time on computer at home and TV must be matched by exercise - I am going to diarise it, and I want to check it calibrates over each week

Incorporate sprints, weight training and bod weight exercises, not just think about it

Go to bed much earlier and get more sleep

Find something else I love and pursue it. Life is flying away fast.

Fall in love ... hmmm, maybe work on me this year!

Anyway, I am sure I have wanted all this every year and have posted similar things each New Years, right back to 2009 when I had a different profile. This year, my friends, I will get there.

Comment

New year's resolution are for lazy procrastinators imo, however my life's resolution is to be able to take a fucking nap
          well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
            New year's resolution are for lazy procrastinators imo, however my life's resolution is to be able to take a fucking nap
            oh, so cool Gadsie...not

Cos life is so hard for a spoilt little tween. Way trying too hard...

Comment

Originally posted by lambchop View Post
              oh, so cool Gadsie...not

Cos life is so hard for a spoilt little tween. Way trying too hard...
              Yeah

But for anyone else, i didn't mean to offend anybody. I think new year's resolutions are not a good way of getting things done
              well then

Comment

maybe work on not being so obnoxious instead of thinking your life is so damn hard you need a fucking nap. Please!

Comment

^^^

Indeed. Weight of the world huh?

My resolution is to run a half marathon and to teach my children how to apologize properly. Two very different goals. I am trying to teach the kids important life skills, very specifically, in increments. This year - apologizing, recognising they are wrong, saying so, saying sorry properly and fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                    and to teach my children how to apologize properly. Two very different goals. I am trying to teach the kids important life skills, very specifically, in increments. This year - apologizing, recognising they are wrong, saying so, saying sorry properly and fixing it.
                    What a great goal for the year. Nice way to raise decent humans!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      Trekfan are you at all interested in historical re-enactment? A couple of years ago my son and I used to hang out with some friends that did Renaissance Fairs and there were lots of 20 something yr olds as well as older folks. It was fun just hanging out in the camps, it attracts a lot of interesting eclectic people. Plus the food can be pretty primal; there always seems to be some one selling turkey legs to gnaw on.
                      I actually did attend a Civil War reenactment in September. It was pretty cool, great food, but it was filled with a lot of parents and kids. It may be an aberration, since it was near the end of the reenactment season, but it was disappointing on that front.

Originally posted by katemary View Post
                      Hey trekfan, I don't really pretend to know what your age group in a different country *do*, the social norms, or how you all interact these days, but my suggestion is to find something you really really LOVE and join a group or class - the common interest is a great starting point, whether it is fishing, a book club, film school, dancing etc. The plus side of the challenge of interacting with strangers is to pursue a passion.

I guess joining forums are a good way of finding like minded souls and I guess where your age group hang out but online interactions are different and don't do much to improve the small talk.

My job always forces me to interact with strangers with odd dynamics, and I find it helpful to spend a few minutes of thinking about conversation starters. Topical issues are fine but can be hot topics, so I tend to think of safe topics such as TV, movies and books. Must be easier for guys and the sports chat...

What is it with weight gain and assuming the joker role? I have only gained weight in last decade and its true. It is also very true that it is socially isolating - you don't have anything to wear, don't want to catch up with people until you lose some pounds etc etc. Good on you for tackling it head on this year.
                      Thanks katmary for the ideas. Yeah, I really freeze up in conversations with strangers ... I can't help but feel they're analyzing everything I say (but I know they're not, I'm just overthinking things) so I end up nodding my head and thinking of things to say, but being too late in the conversation to say the, lol.

I really was thinking of doing some Frisbee league type stuff ... they had one of those in college and they had a lot of people there, but I was far too out of shape to participate (and really embarrassed to run). I live around some good wine cellars too, so maybe do some wine tasting stuff (but that's a bit expensive and I'm tight on money) ... the options are there. I just need to find the ones that work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
                      Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I don't have a specific resolution. I'm going to continue to focus on improving my mental and physical health. Just making some general goals like that worked really well for me this past year. If I make a specific goal, I tend to get overwhelmed when I don't reach it and don't do very well.

I would like to increase to a 20lb kettlebell (from 15)!
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                          This year my resolution is to start sending cards through snail mail again for my friends' birthdays instead of resorting to lame posts on facebooks, which really take zero effort and don't actually mean anything.
                          I love this idea!!!

I resolve to get more sun. Right now I'm probably a few shades lighter than the sand at the beach and I probably glow in the dark.

I also resolve to do P90X, the whole thing, no excuses.

Comment

I actually did attend a Civil War reenactment in September. It was pretty cool, great food, but it was filled with a lot of parents and kids. It may be an aberration, since it was near the end of the reenactment season, but it was disappointing on that front.

Thanks katmary for the ideas. Yeah, I really freeze up in conversations with strangers ... I can't help but feel they're analyzing everything I say (but I know they're not, I'm just overthinking things) so I end up nodding my head and thinking of things to say, but being too late in the conversation to say the, lol.

I really was thinking of doing some Frisbee league type stuff ... they had one of those in college and they had a lot of people there, but I was far too out of shape to participate (and really embarrassed to run). I live around some good wine cellars too, so maybe do some wine tasting stuff (but that's a bit expensive and I'm tight on money) ... the options are there. I just need to find the ones that work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
                            My daughter joined the knitting club at her college. It is a lovely activity for people who are fairly shy because it isn't embarrassing not to join in the conversation, you can be lost in your work. And they teach newbies--she says about half the new members have never knitted before. They had one male join whose goal was to learn to do all the different textile arts.

It depends on how large your community is. Her university is so large it even has a flintknapping club (learn to make stone tools). How about pottery? That might be fairly easy to find.

Pam

Comment

This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
                              I think that once you are able to make 1 or 2 friends, the rest will follow. It's the first ones that are always the hardest. I just moved to a new city where I didn't know a single person (except for my husband, but being in a couple can actually be a handicap when it comes to pushing yourself to meet people and be social).

What I did was to join some meetup groups in my area that seemed like they had the potential for meeting some people my age. Once I met a few friends, I was then able to meet more people through them.

If your area has meetups, maybe you could try out some that are focused on things you like. For example, where I am, there's an outdoors meetup that usually goes hiking and does fun outdoorsy stuff. If you're with a group of people engaging in an activity you all enjoy, it's much less awkward. Also, the benefit of a group like this is that everybody there is looking to meet people and make some friends, and you won't have to feel like the only awkward one - in this type of setting just saying 'hello' and asking some questions about the other person, like what do they love to do, where are they from originally or where have they travelled to go a long way toward getting people to start talking and feeling more comfortable.

If your area doesn't have any meetup groups, then maybe you could try volunteering somewhere that has the potential to also attract other people your age. I'm actually planning to start volunteering at the local animal shelter because I really love animals but mainly to hopefully meet some other people who either work there or are also volunteering. It's really all about putting yourself in a situation where you'll have an 'excuse' to interact with people.

It's been my experience that people REALLY like to talk about themselves, so whenever I'm meeting someone new, I usually have a stock of questions to ask them about themselves if there's an awkward lull in the conversation. Works like a charm!
                              Last edited by BestBetter; 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
                                My daughter joined the knitting club at her college. It is a lovely activity for people who are fairly shy because it isn't embarrassing not to join in the conversation, you can be lost in your work. And they teach newbies--she says about half the new members have never knitted before. They had one male join whose goal was to learn to do all the different textile arts.

It depends on how large your community is. Her university is so large it even has a flintknapping club (learn to make stone tools). How about pottery? That might be fairly easy to find.

Pam
                                The town I live in isn't very big, but there are a few college towns nearby (about an hour away therebouts) that probably have some groups like that I could join up in. Knitting would be a useful skill to have actually ... I actually did a pottery class in like, eighth grade, and had fun with that (but it was annoying because my brother was there and we were constantly arguing, lol).
                                Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Working...
                                X