Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone read a life changing book lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
    Mine was Awareness - Anthony de Mello. And of course PB not long ago.

    Getting that feeling now of wanting to curl up with a good book...
    nah - nothing of late.......althou many years ago I read centennial by James A Mitchener....... and DH and I are coming to America in May....and he said would you like to go and see the Platte? river that the book centennial was based around............ well you can imagine my excitement - so I am going to read it again ( I was only 11 when I read it the first time )
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

    Comment


    • #17
      God, No! by Penn Jillette

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by brighthorse View Post
        God, No! by Penn Jillette
        I want to meet the bacon eating Jew.
        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
          hey I actually found the full video of the lecture floating around and it was quite inspirational - glad I watched it.
          it is very inspirational - it's a heartbreaking story = bitter sweet.
          It brought out my honesty and is what lead me to go back to school to do what I want to do. Help make peoples life better.
          Respiratory Therapy / Phlebotomist & I will dabble in forensic pathology before its all over I would love to assist in an autopsy. The human body is amazing I'm not quite there yet but I will be.

          Comment


          • #20
            Real Time Relationships by Stefan Molyneux. Book is freaking amazing and I am working on it now. Also in the process of reading The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon. Excellent, excellent read.
            "You don't have forever to change yourself."
            Stefan Molyneux
            Freedomain Radio

            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
            Mark Twain

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by dizzyorange View Post
              I liked The Fountainhead but had a hard time getting into Atlas Shrugged. My gripe is that, for a stoic infinitely-capable guy, John Galt is remarkably verbose! You would picture him as a man who appreciated brevity. But when Galt finally shows up, he blabs for pages and pages. He could've said what he wanted to say in a paragraph.
              LOVED "The Fountainhead"! Ayn Rand views the world in such a 'real' way. Roark - what a hero. Definitely a life changing book. Changed how I view architecture anyway

              I'm currently reading "A Million Little Pieces" which is the autobiography of a guy who goes into rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. I wanted to understand the nature of addiction better. Can't say if it's life changing or not, but considering he survived and wrote the book I'm assuming there is an inspiring happy ending

              Originally posted by Ljphalen View Post
              Spanish Fly, written by Will Ferguson. A novel about con men in the American Southwest during the Great Depression, this book has given me back the feeling I had as a child, that the world is full of trap doors and tricks and, if not magic, then mystery.
              That sounds great - adding it to the list
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

              In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

              - Ray Peat

              Comment


              • #22
                Not life-changing, but I just read Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why. It was really interesting and kind of Primal in a way. I can imagine that Mark's new book coming out will have some similar themes in it.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm totally rereading Isaac Asimov's "favorite fifteen" in chronological order. The mind boggling deepness this guy gets into in his books suddenly makes SENSE when you link his various series together and see how they all interconnect. Asimov has an amazing ability to anticipate issues we might face in the future of humanity and has created an entire interconnected universe to investigate these issues and examine the philosophical responses that are most appropriate and how humans might best tackle these issues in the face of constantly evolving cultural norms.

                  Here's his stated order of reading: http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...-to-foundation
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                    I'm totally rereading Isaac Asimov's "favorite fifteen" in chronological order. The mind boggling deepness this guy gets into in his books suddenly makes SENSE when you link his various series together and see how they all interconnect. Asimov has an amazing ability to anticipate issues we might face in the future of humanity and has created an entire interconnected universe to investigate these issues and examine the philosophical responses that are most appropriate and how humans might best tackle these issues in the face of constantly evolving cultural norms.

                    Here's his stated order of reading: Cool Science Fiction
                    All great
                    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by B. Knight View Post
                      Real Time Relationships by Stefan Molyneux. Book is freaking amazing and I am working on it now. Also in the process of reading The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon. Excellent, excellent read.
                      I listened to Six Pillars read by the author over the past two nights. Felt like I got a lot out of it. I was surprised by how openly he talked about his affair and fallout with Ayn Rand. I could definitely see where his philosophy intersected and and where it diverged from objectivism. I found an audio recording of the other book you mentioned, going to check that out too. Thanks for the suggestions.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by cmlloyd View Post
                        it is very inspirational - it's a heartbreaking story = bitter sweet.
                        It brought out my honesty and is what lead me to go back to school to do what I want to do. Help make peoples life better.
                        Respiratory Therapy / Phlebotomist & I will dabble in forensic pathology before its all over I would love to assist in an autopsy. The human body is amazing I'm not quite there yet but I will be.
                        I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I had to say- good for you!! I have a special needs/disabled daughter, and her therapists completely changed our life trajectories for the thousand-times-better. I actually get teary-eyed sometimes when I think of what our lives could have been like without them... Omg, what suffering that would have been. So, you go and help others!!!
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                          All great
                          Yes, yes it is. And reading them in order is giving me an even GREATER appreciation for them this time around.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I just finished reading "Turning Pro" by Steven Pressfield.
                            Great book, with lots of good insights.
                            I just started reading "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris.
                            Interesting, so far.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              the happy hooker by xaviera hollander was a revelation

                              my life.. profoundly changed
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

                              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                                the happy hooker by xaviera hollander was a revelation

                                my life.. profoundly changed
                                Lol!
                                Awesome.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X