Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an animal or animal part you wouldn't eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
    Thank you naiadknight and Paleobird. There are a few things I want to try in the near future: tongue, beef heart, and pig liver (which I've heard is even milder than chicken liver). I'm having slightly ooky feelings about peeling off a membrane after cooking, but I'll get over it because I can generally talk myself in or out of anything.
    I just fixed heart the other day. Fixed it like a roast. Tongue I havent fixed for a long time, but use to fix it like a roast. I don't recall peeling the whole thing, but slicing our portions on our plate, and then just peeling it off. Kind of like you have to do to summer sausage.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I really like raw Oysters, but if I eat more than 2 the texture makes me want to puke, so it's a trade-off.

I've had grain raised beef liver and that shit is AWFUL. So I don't eat that. Haven't tried Grassfed, yet.
      "You don't have forever to change yourself."
      Stefan Molyneux
      Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
      Mark Twain

Comment

No. I'll eat pretty much anything. Doubt I'd digest the white part of the bone and intestines and some other parts are hard to make hygienic, but, bar that, nothing on an animal I'd avoid.

The fiance, however, is appalled by blood (he has reasons), disgusted by liver and confused by most other offal. He likes kidneys and inner-body muscles like diaphragm. He'll eat marrow if it leaks from the bone, but I'm yet to persuade him to dive for it. Hey-ho, he'll either come round or eat a LOT of the offal he does like, when under my care. ;p
        --
        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Heart is easy as sin. Chop it into large bite size chunks and marinade it in a garlic balsamic olive oil mix. Add some veggies and skewer it all up. Grill until the heart is just this side of squishy (medium) and the veggies are charred. Serve with a balsamic- olive oil reduction on the side (Read: reserve the marinade, throw it in a pan, and cook until thickened.)
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

The recipes I'm looking at for tongue are Jewish, because that's the tongue I remember so fondly - from the Jewish delis in NY. Of course I can no longer eat it sliced thin on rye, but I think over potatoes with a mustard sauce will give me the flavor I remember without the bread.

naiadknight and gopintos, those both sound fairly simple and do-able. Thank you!
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'll eat anything except bugs. And if I was surrounded by people enjoying bugs as they had for generations, I'm sure I'd eat that, too. I just gave my kids Crickettes (actually sold at the counter of a toy store! real Salt 'n' Vinegar crickets!) for Christmas, and offered $10 to anyone who would eat one, but no takers.

I made tongue in aspic once. Delicious.
              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

B. Knight, the only time I really got nauseous watching someone eat raw oysters was on a show called I think Man vs Food. That many platters of raw oysters - *shudder.* But I can easily pack away a dozen raw, and broiled or roasted probably even more though I've never put it to the test.

I'm thinking that next xmas eve or new year's eve, I'm going to try a Feast of Seven Fishes. So I have a year to find a local place that sells baccalà (salted cod). My family didn't do that formally, we just ate lots of squid and shellfish for xmas eve.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                X