Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by otzi View Post
    This morning, just out of curiosity, I peed on a stick and found that after 3 days of eating only potatoes I am in 'Large' ketosis range!

    Here's what's going on. It's all in the new Perfect Health Diet book, too. The resistant starch from the cold potatoes is converted into short-chain fatty acids in the large intestine. I must have a flourishing population of beneficial gut bacteria and they are eating all the potatoes and giving me fat in return! Pretty cool, huh?
    This is fascinating to me. On the surface it makes no sense, but if gut bacteria play a critical role in nutrient utilization, I guess it does.

    I had coffee w 2% milk first thing this morning and then 12 oz sweet potato around 11am. I was a little hungry off and on this afternoon, but mostly felt great. Just based on how I feel, I think my post-potato blood sugar stays nice and steady.

    I bought some fermented dill pickles and had a little snack at 5pm. I'm thinking the brine will be great on mashed white potato for lunch tomorrow, instead of the ACV I've used before.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

    Comment


    • #62
      Today is my 4th day but I sabotaged myself yesterday...

      Day 1 went well. I had about two pounds of baked potatoes with s&p and ACV. I drank water and green tea. I wasn't hungry or tired. Start weight 172
      Day 2 I added sauerkraut and changed from hot potatoes to cold potatoes and I are a warm sweet potato with cinnamon (yum!) my weight was 165!
      Day 3 this was not a great day. I was tired and having an emotionally rough day :-/
      I had cold tater with vin at about 9 am. By 11:30 I wanted to eat! So I ate another cold potato with kraut and raw pepper and onion.
      At 12:30-- hungry again and I ate a large cold sweet potato
      1:30 hungry again! I ate a cold potato with more kraut.
      5:00 my last meal: 2 warm waffle potato pancakes with about 2 oz ham
      Then at 9pm a large handful of Chocolate chips.

      Day 4: This morning I weighed 167. I'm gonna IF till noon then try not to cheat!
      Last edited by EpicDreamer; 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM.

      Comment


      • #63
        Morning of Day 6. Started at 175 now at 166. Yesterday had 2 cold potatoes at 1130, 1 green banana at 2:30, 2 large potatoes thinly sliced and fried in a tsp or so of lard at 6pm.

        Comment


        • #64
          Last morning. I'm at 165 today, a full 10lbs in 1 week. I think it was probably 60/40 water to fat, so probably lost 3-4 lbs of fat, which is what I would have predicted.

          I feel great. Last night, I did 45 minutes on treadmill at 3mph and 10% grade, 60 pushups, and 20 pullups. This morning there is no soreness and getting ready to exercise again.

          For the week, I ate exactly 20lbs of potatoes. I'm going to finish the bag today and eat real food for dinner. My first meal is going to be a snowshoe hare I caught in a snare on Sunday--roasted hare, including liver, kidneys, and heart w/potatoes and mushrooms.

          My New Year's Resolution is to eat a Perfect Health Diet, with one pound of potatoes and one pound of meat per day along with tons of fruit and veggies. The macro-ratio should end up being very close to 30-20-50 (C-P-F). The line of reasoning behind this diet is that you keep the one pound of potato and one pound of meat a constant, and to lose weight or gain muscle, you manipulate the fat portion. I think it seems like a really good plan--read the book if you want to learn more.

          Toward a Happy, PHD-in-the-Mainstream New Year | Perfect Health Diet

          My second resolution is to stay off the forums as much as possible. The last 18 months have been great, I learned a lot from Mark Sisson and the whole cast of regular forum posters...did a lot of self-exploration and came up with a great strategy for the rest of my life.

          Happy 2013!

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by otzi View Post
            Last morning. I'm at 165 today, a full 10lbs in 1 week. I think it was probably 60/40 water to fat, so probably lost 3-4 lbs of fat, which is what I would have predicted.

            I feel great. Last night, I did 45 minutes on treadmill at 3mph and 10% grade, 60 pushups, and 20 pullups. This morning there is no soreness and getting ready to exercise again.

            For the week, I ate exactly 20lbs of potatoes. I'm going to finish the bag today and eat real food for dinner. My first meal is going to be a snowshoe hare I caught in a snare on Sunday--roasted hare, including liver, kidneys, and heart w/potatoes and mushrooms.

            My New Year's Resolution is to eat a Perfect Health Diet, with one pound of potatoes and one pound of meat per day along with tons of fruit and veggies. The macro-ratio should end up being very close to 30-20-50 (C-P-F). The line of reasoning behind this diet is that you keep the one pound of potato and one pound of meat a constant, and to lose weight or gain muscle, you manipulate the fat portion. I think it seems like a really good plan--read the book if you want to learn more.

            Toward a Happy, PHD-in-the-Mainstream New Year | Perfect Health Diet

            My second resolution is to stay off the forums as much as possible. The last 18 months have been great, I learned a lot from Mark Sisson and the whole cast of regular forum posters...did a lot of self-exploration and came up with a great strategy for the rest of my life.

            Happy 2013!
            All sounds great! I wish you much success, well except on the second part, as we want to keep seeing you around!! I am doing the PHD weight loss version, which dials the fat back to about 40%. I shoot for 30 so I end up in the middle, so basically I am about a 3 way split.

            Thank you for all your have contributed to the forum. Stay in touch!
            65lbs gone and counting!!

            Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by gopintos View Post
              Thank you for all your have contributed to the forum. Stay in touch!
              Let me second this. You have added a lot. A year ago I would have suggested that you hurl potatoes at your mail thieves. Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                Thank you for all your have contributed to the forum. Stay in touch!
                Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                Let me second this. You have added a lot. A year ago I would have suggested that you hurl potatoes at your mail thieves. Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!
                Thanks, I'll still come around some, but I have found I am spending too much time on the internet in general and want to try to wean off it a bit this year.

                GoPintos - When you are reading through PHD do you get the feeling that 'safe starches' are really just 'potatoes'? Maybe certain ethnic groups know how to prepare cassava, plantains, and taro, but to me these are like really foreign and I would have no idea how to buy them, cook them etc... He considers rice a safe starch, but then has strict warnings about grain and even warnings about rice, like 'you must rinse fortified white rice to remove added niacin' WTH? I like rice, and plan to include it in my meal planning, especially cold, sushi rice, but a pound a day? I know in the Potato Diet threads, anyone who tried rice hated it. No satiety and poor nutrition. That pretty much leave potatoes (white and sweet) and on sweet potatoes, he treats them more like carrots and beets not wanting them to be the main safe starch.

                So what's that leave? TATERS! TATORS! PA'Tatuhs! I have no problem eating a pound of potatoes a day. It's only 470 calories and 87g carbs. A baked potato at lunch (1/2 pound) and another potato dish for dinner. Sweet potatoes sometimes and rice once or twice a week. Easy peasy!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                  Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!
                  You need to run up to the valley and get you some Matanuska Thunder Spuds!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by otzi View Post
                    Thanks, I'll still come around some, but I have found I am spending too much time on the internet in general and want to try to wean off it a bit this year.

                    GoPintos - When you are reading through PHD do you get the feeling that 'safe starches' are really just 'potatoes'? Maybe certain ethnic groups know how to prepare cassava, plantains, and taro, but to me these are like really foreign and I would have no idea how to buy them, cook them etc... He considers rice a safe starch, but then has strict warnings about grain and even warnings about rice, like 'you must rinse fortified white rice to remove added niacin' WTH? I like rice, and plan to include it in my meal planning, especially cold, sushi rice, but a pound a day? I know in the Potato Diet threads, anyone who tried rice hated it. No satiety and poor nutrition. That pretty much leave potatoes (white and sweet) and on sweet potatoes, he treats them more like carrots and beets not wanting them to be the main safe starch.

                    So what's that leave? TATERS! TATORS! PA'Tatuhs! I have no problem eating a pound of potatoes a day. It's only 470 calories and 87g carbs. A baked potato at lunch (1/2 pound) and another potato dish for dinner. Sweet potatoes sometimes and rice once or twice a week. Easy peasy!
                    Yes to me, because I dont buy nor have tried the other things. Tators are so cheap and easy... (no wise cracks) ha On the rice, I like it at times, it's a nice addition but I agree in that it doesnt fill me up as much, well it does fill me up but just takes alot more, but it is a nice change and something the family likes, so that makes it nice also. It just makes it easy. No one even notices if all I have is rice or tators. Nor do they care.

                    Message me, or post, either here somewhere or on PHD when you get to the fasting part.
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

                    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by otzi View Post
                      You need to run up to the valley and get you some Matanuska Thunder Spuds!
                      They will go well with my Matnuska Thunder half cow and half pig. My explorations this year will be more culinary, exploring sous vide cooking and easing into the world of charcuterie. I am awaiting my amazon order of gizmos for a DIY water heater/immersion circulator and temperature controller for a sausage fermentation and curing chamber.

                      Spuds will accompany!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Otzi -

                        NO! You musn't curtail your internet use! NO! NO! NO!

                        Okay, fine, I've stomped my feet and made a scene... I'm over it... sorta.

                        In any event, less or hardly at all, thanks for all your great posts and I look forward
                        to seeing you when we see you!

                        Gopintos - are you going to start a journal or anything for your PHD experiment?

                        Julie

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                          Message me, or post, either here somewhere or on PHD when you get to the fasting part.
                          Just read it (Chapter 40, Fasting). I have been IF'ing for well over a year just like they describe (skipping breakfast). Looks like that may be the best way. I had never heard that longer fasts turned off autophagy, that was interesting. For about 6 months, I was doing a 41 hour fast once a week, but after all those months, I was at the same weight, so I quit as I couldn't see any reason to keep doing something so often that was slightly miserable.

                          Kind of my implementation plan for the PHD is to skip breakfast, eat a can of sardines or oysters, potato and veggies for a light lunch, then a bigger portion of meat, MOAR Taters, and some fatty foods like nuts, cheese, coconut oil/milk, dark chocolate, etc...

                          I like Julie's idea you should start a thread on PHD. I really think that is where Mark is headed with PB. I also think when eating 30% of calories as starch a day becomes mainstream, potatoes will rule over rice and tropical starches. I would love to experiment with the other starches, but even in the PHD book, they don't talk about how to buy, prep and eat them. Potatoes are so versatile and can stand on their own, rice is a good accompaniment to other foods, but would be hard to eat a pound of plain, white rice IMO.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                            Gopintos - are you going to start a journal or anything for your PHD experiment?
                            I should. But I spend so much time here and on spark already ... and trying to start a not-for-profit foundation equestrian facility for at-risk youth.... but I should take the time and document more. Paul said we could do a little success deal when I am done if I want, so I should do something a little more detailed.

                            Originally posted by otzi View Post
                            Looks like that may be the best way. I had never heard that longer fasts turned off autophagy, that was interesting.

                            I like Julie's idea you should start a thread on PHD. I really think that is where Mark is headed with PB.
                            Yes that is the part I had not heard before, that it it is turned off fairly quickly leaving pathogens free to multiply.

                            I will probably start a journal soon. I just dont have all the smarts, but I have all the experiences and that is all I can share I guess. I started a PHD team on Spark also, there was already a PB one of sorts, but not PHD. I got Paul's opinion first, and he even offered to help when he could if I needed him, I guess with things like the sciency stuff. Nice fella.

                            Anyways........ my tators are boiled. Was thinking of trying to do a couple of days. I may end up tators during the day and then eat supper, havent really decided yet. I was thinking of trying to get DH to take a few to work with him. They are red like apples, so maybe he won't notice...
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

                            Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Your valuable info, otzi, has helped many of us. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.
                              I really love the 2nd PHD book, as well. They some smart folks. Mark's intro is great.
                              I am following it to a tee in 2013..and, like you, plan to DO more and be online less.
                              I'm gonna try my hand at some DIY projects around the house and outdoors; have plans for an awesome raised garden.
                              Hope you guys have a prosperous and very healthy 2013!!!!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Ouis View Post
                                On my up days, I eat potato for breakfast and lunch and then have a great dinner. Don't feel deprived in the least! As a matter of fact it has cured me of my Up Up and Away Days!
                                Great idea! I think that's going to be my solution for my carb-up days--eat potatoes during the day and a nice dinner. That'll prevent the "eating all day long" phenomenon that's been plaguing my weekends!

                                My journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X