Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Parents! I need your advice!

Hello,

I am a father of 3 and now that old man winter has set in, I need some things to do with the kids. We had a VERY active summer and now being stuck in the house is killing everyone. I live in Columbus, OH and the weather is pretty much cloudy and rainy until April or May through September.

Just wondering what your thoughts are about getting the kids out and moving slowly. Obviously we love to play in the snow but there isn't much around these days. Hopefully we will get more this winter than last but so far not much.

Any idea's would be awesome! Thanks!

Brian

Do you have a basement? Preferably unfinished and free of clutter? We move our outdoor activities into the basement in the winter. My kids love scooter races, indoor soccer games, and street hockey in the unfinished basement. We also go hiking all winter long - just bundle up.

Comment

The basement is a good idea. Some cleaning will need to take place I'm sure. We definately planned some hikes but the problem is all the damn rain. Hard to find a day without it.

Comment

Also, our neighbors built an indoor jungle gym in their basement with a swing, a slide and monkey bars. They just put gym mats on the floor underneath so no one breaks anything!

Comment

Thats a hell of an idea!

Comment

Where we live in NZ, it rains most of the year, most of the time. The answer is: rain gear and go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              Where we live in NZ, it rains most of the year, most of the time. The answer is: rain gear and go outside.
              This except change the NZ to UK

Jumping in puddles is always fun
              You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Check out "Sky Zone Sports", it is an indoor space in Columbus all decked out with trampolines all over: the floors AND the walls. We are in east-central OH, but we are planning a pilgrimage sometime this winter to check it out ourselves.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Rain gear. Tall boots. Find a creek, walk to it and make dams out of rocks. Or, walk upstream in the creek. Divert the creek with rocks. Playing in water can be lots of fun. Even when it is cold.

Comment

Juggling or handstands. I'm in the circus so I'm biased in that direction, but it is great for indoors.

Comment

Nerf wars! Buy a bunch of Nerf guns and mod them. Glow in the dark ones are particularly awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                        This except change the NZ to UK

Jumping in puddles is always fun
                        Change UK to Portland. ;-)

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                        Check out "Sky Zone Sports", it is an indoor space in Columbus all decked out with trampolines all over: the floors AND the walls. We are in east-central OH, but we are planning a pilgrimage sometime this winter to check it out ourselves.
                        We have a place like this and it is SO MUCH FUN! Also check out bounce house places

OP, I grew up very near you and the weather in Portland is worse. Ha. Seriously, get good rain gear (Patagonia, Hunter boots, Mountain Hardware, REI brand at a minimum, etc.), as quality makes a huge difference. As long as it's not a down pour or freezing, the kids will have a great time hiking.
                        Last edited by jkr; 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

During the winter Munchkin and I tend to do more "brain" stuff like art, legos, building forts, etc. We have a ton of rain as well and there is only so much puddle splashing a toddler will do. We try to get in at least one walk around the block (at least) a day, otherwise we exercise indoors. She has a Sesame Street Dance with Zoe DVD that she'll wiggle to and she'll join in my hula DVD workouts (which is a total cuteness overload).

I would look for an indoor playground (starting to see more of these pop up) or consider swimming lessons at the local pool. A friend takes her kids to gymnastic class on the weekends and then they practice the lesson at home during the week. It really helps her kids keep the cabin fever at bay.
                          See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Working...
                          X